The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 15, 2013, 10:19 PM   #1
ckpj99

A Very Broad Long Gun Question

So let's pretend you're an expert with an AR-style platform and an expert in combat shotgun (and handguns, too). What is the next most practical gun platform to learn?

The "assault weapon" platform is versatile. A pump shotgun like a Remington
870 is also versatile. Is there another long gun platform that is this versatile?

Is there a bolt gun that can do as many different things as either of those guns? Maybe different things, but as many.

I want to master a platform that is practical. A platform that isn't a one trick pony. But not a AR/AK style gun, and not a "combat" shotgun? What's left?
Old January 15, 2013, 10:43 PM   #2
alex0535

Point-shooting/quick kill, basically teaching yourself to shoot close range targets instinctively without having to use the sights. This skill would be applicable to being an "expert" with a combat shotgun and handguns too. Practice with a BB gun because it will take a lot of practice and BBs are cheap. Once you can hit targets without using sights, i would move onto a shooting a henry with subsonic .22s, then a faster moving .22, then a .223.

As for a bolt gun, its the best option for long range shooting. Practice by shooting at increasingly farther targets. Learn long range shooting skills until you can hit targets at distances you feel satisfied with.

Last edited by alex0535; January 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:52 PM   #3
MTSCMike

It may not be versatile when compared to the AR/Shotgun platforms but a good bolt action long range precision rifle would round out your stable nicely. A premium .308 or .300 mag (or .338 Lapua if your into self punishment) can be a great new challenge at 600 to 1000 yards. It is definately a different skill set.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:58 PM   #4
the rifleer

The best thing to do is buy a .22, shoot thousands of rounds through it in all sorts of shooting positions, become true marksman, then you should be able to transition into just about any rifle out there.

Shotguns, well, you just have to go shoot a shotgun alot. Same with pistols.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:59 PM   #5
big al hunter

Ok so I'm pretending that you're an expert in AR platform weapons, combat shotgun, and pistols. Now I'm imagining you struggling with sporting clays for a few weeks, until you master that. Then I will recommend that you work on long range tactical. Lets not make it easy though, set those sights for 1,000 yards. The real challenge is learning to read the wind. And shooting a tight group will not be easy so choose a good bolt action and an inexpensive caliber. You will need lots of practice and time.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Alabama Shooter

I am not sure what you consider "tactical" or "expert". If you are looking for a new shooting skill to master then long range shooting is a good one.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Inferred from all of the above, the gun platform isn't really all that important so much as adding skills.

So, figure out what you want to learn that's different from what now can be done. THEN worry about the gun platform.

Back about twenty years ago--if not more--I read that guys at Fort Benning became proficient enough at Point-and-Shoot that they could hit a tossed aspirin with a BB gun. There's a skill that is way above average, and certainly inexpensive to learn.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Husqvarna

New shooting skill= moving targets with a bolt action

Become a great flushing hunt shooter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKh_13zOGFc

with a bolt! everything else is cheating

long range is more boring I reckon
Old January 16, 2013, 06:29 PM   #9
ckpj99

There are a lot of reasons for me asking this question, but I was mainly curious.

On any firearms forum, if you ask, "I have a handgun, what kind of long gun should I get?" Everyone will say, shotgun or AR/AK. I was just wondering what else is left.

There's semi-auto field shotguns like the Benelli M4 are great for just about everything other than cramped urban combat. With the right one with the right sights, you could shoot slugs out quite a ways I'd imagine.

I've seen several 20 gauge bolt-action shotguns. Not sure what they're for, but they look neat.

A rifled shotgun (slug gun) is something else I don't know anything about. I assume it's for deer and bear hunting.

Then there's all the different styles of bolt-guns. Long barreled scoped, bullpups with scopes, open sight battle rifles like the Mosin Nagant or M1903, big thumper calibers like the Lapua, small fast calibers like the .223.

Are all bolt guns built for distance?

With all these options it's hard to figure out what to move toward. Hence the question.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:35 PM   #10
ckpj99

And Husqvarna - that guy is a machine. I'd like him on my team.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:09 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Looking back at the first post, and the later comments, it looks to me as though a bolt-action rifle would fill a niche.

But ya gotta figure what your primary use would be before selecting the type and the cartridge.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:16 PM   #12
boattale

You sound to me like you're asking about a scout rifle but don't want to ask about scout rifles. Depending on how you define practical that is.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:31 AM   #13
ckpj99

boattale - I had never heard of a scout gun until you mentioned. After having researched, I think it's awesome, and kinda want one!
Old January 17, 2013, 12:00 PM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I ran a couple of mag's worth of ammo through a Scout. Plenty good hunting rifle and for truck-gun use. I'm glad the shorter magazines are available, as I like to carry a rifle at the balance point at times.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:18 PM   #15
geetarman

Quote:
boattale - I had never heard of a scout gun until you mentioned. After having researched, I think it's awesome, and kinda want one!

Heh heh heh. See, that is how it works here. We work to find out what you DON'T have and then we carefully plant the seed. What seed is that you might ask?

Well, I am glad you asked.

By creating a real or imagined need, we do our best to separate you from your money. We are SHAMELESS. . .and apparently fairly effective.

Have fun and stay safe!

Carpe Cerveza