The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 14, 2013, 12:39 AM   #1
RagingBull

Glenfield Model 70

Looking for some infirmation on this model 70 Glenfield by Marlin. It does not seem to have a serial number anywhere on it.

It was my father's and is in decent shape with nice stock and minor rust spots on the barrel. Bore is fantastic. Now that it is clean, it cycles flawlessly using Federal. 22LR hollow point rounds.

Where would the serial number be? On the model 60 I have, it is on the side of the reciever, but this 70 seems to have none.

It has the "old style" trigger-with-magazine plate as opposed to the newer style with no magazine plate attached to the trigger guard.

Thanks for any help!!
Old January 14, 2013, 01:19 AM   #2
hoghunting

If it was made before 1968 it might not have a serial number. I have a Glenfield model 60 - a less expensive Marlin 60 - that does not have a serial number. The GCA '68 required serial numbers on all firearms.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:40 AM   #3
RagingBull

Thanks! That's about what I figured. My grandfather may have bought this gun and gave it to my father or my dad may have bought it himself. Who knows now since both have passed away. I received this one after he died.

I've seen them go for about $100 or so and was thinking of selling it but the more I think about it....I don't have a lot of my dad's things so I'll probably wind up keeping it. It's worth more in sentimental value now anyway.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:20 PM   #4
g.willikers

Why sell it?
Can't ever have too many .22s.
And Marlins shoot as good as just about anything, other than the serious competition rimfires.
I've regretted selling every .22 that I ever let get away.
What was I thinking!
Keep it, don't sell it, you can thank me later.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:19 PM   #5
RagingBull

Too late!!! Already decided to keep it ! But HEY! You're right...so THANK YOU Anyway!

Gonna keep this one open-sighted since it's shorter barreld and I already have a scoped Magtech bolt gun. Still looking to get a stainless 10/22 also though.