The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you notice when others are carrying now that you are alert and are carrying
Yes I am more aware and have been able to notice when others are carrying 25 33.33%
No nothing has changed, I still regard people the same 7 9.33%
I am more aware but have never been able to notice 33 44.00%
Sometimes, but I have never really noticed. 10 13.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 10, 2006, 11:37 AM   #1
Doug.38PR

Do you notice other people carrying now that you are a CHLer, Cop or other gun bearer

Are you more aware of other people and look for signs of them carrying (bulges, printing, etc.) and are you able to spot it?
Old February 10, 2006, 02:32 PM   #2
PaulBk

Just once...

Even though WA is among the highest per capita of CCw'ers, I have only conclusively spotted one guy in years of looking. Others I might have guessed about, but there was no proof. This speaks well for our community.

-PB
Old February 10, 2006, 04:21 PM   #3
gamma

I dont ccw yet, but i notice the belly bags and fanny packs whenever i see them , now. as for other ccw methods and printing, i haven't spotted anything even close to definite.
Old February 12, 2006, 06:45 PM   #4
KC135

Most polls do not get the answers because they fail to come up with a really good set of answers. This poll is typical.

Awareness is necessary and by being aware we can avoid most problems.

I do not look for firearms, rather I look for something that is out of place, something that tells me things are not right, and lets me know I need to be elsewhere. The best problem is the one you do not attend.

Most felons do not use holsters, and IFI spot someone carrying, it will likely be printing from gun/holster combination. it will not be a felon carrying sans holster, the gun stuck down the front of his pants. Likely it will be someone with a permit.

I did not participate in this poll because the poll did not have an answer that fit my methods.

Just the opinion of an old feller who has carried for a long time.
Old February 12, 2006, 07:09 PM   #5
Jkwas

Down here in Florida, It's pretty easy to spot someone with a fanny pack that doesn't really have any other reason to carry one.
Old February 12, 2006, 07:52 PM   #6
RJay

Concealed means concealed, no one should be able to tell that you are carrying. You don't want people to be able to spot that fact!
Old February 13, 2006, 04:07 AM   #7
Metellus

concealed

none of my friends and even my girlfriend know when i'm carrying or not.. they always ask me "are you carrying". Cops have never given me a 2nd glance either. That must mean i'm doing a good job. i'm sure the typical CCW is the same way so i doubt i'll be able to spot it.

when i wear a full sized 1911 my giveaway though is a 5.11 vest in summer... most ppl think i'm a fisherman cause i like to wear that vest and a boonie hat too when the sun is out. but even with my fisherman outfit cops haven't given me a 2nd glance.

when i wear a compact pistol i wear IWB which does a great job.

the average person can't imagine anyone carrying a concealed gun and even if they do spot it they'll assume you're a cop or something.
Old February 13, 2006, 04:50 AM   #8
stealthmode

Quote:
Concealed means concealed, no one should be able to tell that you are carrying. You don't want people to be able to spot that fact!

yeah
Old February 13, 2006, 08:34 AM   #9
XavierBreath

Sometimes I will spot someone if it is blatant, but to be honest, I don't really look or care.
Old February 13, 2006, 09:04 AM   #10
MEDDAC19

I don't know about where you live, but around here the majority of fanny packs are not being used as holsters. I know many people who use fanny packs when hunting, hiking, and travelling, that do not carry in them. Most people use them for their intended purposes. There is some tourism that occurs around here and most of the fanny packs are filled with cameras, wallets, water bottles, and other normal objects. I use fanny packs at times and never have used mine to carry in. I will say though, that I do know one individual that carries in his pack. So, those of you that are now more aware, due to your own CC, don't assume every fanny pack or vest has a weapon inside.
Old February 13, 2006, 09:22 AM   #11
Mikeyboy

Before and after I got a CW Permit I never went looking around at other people "Bulges". I have a lot of friends and family that carry and honestly I would not have know unless they told me, and we are talking anywhere from a pocket to full size pistols. The only time I noticed was a before I had a permit I noticed a young guy who was definately carrying a full size handgun (probably illegally) in the waistband of his pants in the small of his back. It kept on slipping out and he kept on tucking it back in, and re-adjusting his jacket. I was walking about 20 paces behind him at night when I use to live in Philly. No one else was around and I was not sure if he was carrying it for protection or looking for someone to rob, either was I stayed far behind him.
Old February 13, 2006, 12:34 PM   #12
bclark1

I'm sure I'd notice if I had the opportunity to, but spending 99% of my time in Illinois and Wisconsin, it's not really an issue, now is it?

Good chance I'll be in Ohio in the near future though!
Old February 13, 2006, 01:07 PM   #13
spacemanspiff

i notice now, not cause of the gun, but i do regularly come across CHLers using their CHL as an Id at alcohol check points. or i'll see it in their wallet.
Old February 14, 2006, 09:10 AM   #14
Mannlicher

I have been carrying something almost daily for over 40 years. I have been very attuned to who else might be packing for at least that long. I guess watching others is so ingrained that I am not really aware of it now. I spot folks quite often here in Miami. The tell tales are known to most of us, ie, touching the clothing where the gun is to see if its printing, bulges showing when people turn their torso or bend.
To my knowledge, I have not been 'made' myself. I have a fair amount of experience hiding it. Florida has only had a CCW law on the books since I think, 1987. Less than 10 years.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 14, 2006, 06:36 PM   #15
Cmu_Sniper

Im no math expert, but 1987 to 2006 is more than 10 years.
Old February 14, 2006, 06:50 PM   #16
CajunBass

It has never crossed my mind to look.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 15, 2006, 10:05 AM   #17
invention_45

I agree with KC135, except I'll answer the poll.

I don't really look.

I've had two experiences in life where I've had that bad feeling, and that's what I pay attention to.

The first time I was about 17 and was in a grocery store late at night. There was just something wrong and I couldn't put my finger on it. Then, as I looked for what I had come to buy, I noticed a gap in the products on the sheves in my aisle and the one beyond me. Among the articles on the next shelf over, in the small gap, was a face looking right at me. It was the security guard, I guess figuring I was going to shoplift. So that "hunch" was right.

The second time was when I was the first car stopped at a light. There were 3 guys just lingering on the corner. One crossed in front of me, and another started to walk along the sidewalk toward the back of my vehicle. The instant the first guy got to my left front fender I stepped on it. Beyond these acts, there was nothing else. But I had that feeling so bad that I was in the gun shop buying my first gun within 2 hours.

Since some here are mentioning whether they've been "made" or not, I have only noticed an odd look one time. I was in a rush to get to Publix, so I stuffed my USP45 into my shorts pocket rather than put on a belt and holster. While in the store, I noticed a clean-cut middle aged guy looking right at my pocket. Just a nod, and he went on by. I'd guess he was a LEO off duty and noticed it, but I was so obviously in a rush to get what I needed and go, he must have figured I was there on legitimate business.
Old February 15, 2006, 10:41 AM   #18
DBOUNCE1

I have never seen another maybe cause i live in a small town or something but i don't notice it
Old February 15, 2006, 11:42 AM   #19
Archie

Awareness and preparedness.

Like KC135, I try to stay aware of behavior, not appearance.

I see problems coming because of body language, facial expression and other behavioral considerations.

Every once in a while I'll spot a gun under a jacket or shirt, but usually, upon inspection, it's obvious they are a LEO of some form. Frankly, as long as they aren't evidencing signs of being a threat, I care less if anyone else has a gun. Likewise, if they are evidencing signs of being a threat, problem or nuisance, the presence of a gun is only a side issue.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old February 16, 2006, 05:04 PM   #20
BigV

I work store security in a major grocery chain in NE, OH and see every person that comes in and leaves the store. I spend a great deal of time watching other people and have not seen anyone I knew for sure was CCW. I did have one young lady approach me and tell me she had a CCW permit and was wondering if she was permitted in the store with her weapon. I told her she was permitted and unless she saw a sign prohibiting CCW it was OK for her to carry. I advised against informing others that she had a CCW permit or that she was carrying.