The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2005, 12:21 PM   #1
woodland

Anybody heard of Vickerman Inline Seating Die?

A guy was selling these at the gun show here, and was talking them up as the best there was. Micro die was $90.00
Old April 11, 2005, 02:15 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

You Bet I've Heard Of Them.

They work very well but mine we're bought so long ago the price you mention seems preposterous.
Old April 11, 2005, 03:07 PM   #3
Rick B

No personal experience , but have seen them advertized in Handloader mag.
Their web addy : http://www.gmwvickerman.com/new_page_1.htm .
Old April 11, 2005, 03:29 PM   #4
brickeyee

You can get about the same thing (no bullet cutaway) using a redding competition die. The internal sleeve is not hardened and can easily be cut with the same reamer used for chambering. Instead of buying the redding .22-250 AI die, I had a regular .22-250 die cut with the same reamer used for chambering. The gun is a Stolle Panda and used for long range varmint hunting.
It worked so well I had another barel cut to 6mm Rem AI for even longer range shooting. At the time redding had not added the 6mm Rem AI to the factory set, so there was no other option but to cut a plain jane 6mm Rem die.
Old April 12, 2005, 12:38 AM   #5
woodland

So there isn't really any advantage over any others?
Old April 12, 2005, 02:33 PM   #6
brickeyee

Not that I have seen. The Vickerman die has been around longer. I have not set one up and run measurements on it (concentricity, diamters, uniformity, etc.) but the Vickerman I borrowed produced ammunition with the same runnout numbers (less than a few thousandths 0.100 from the case mouth) as the Redding Competition set in .22-250. Both shot very well even when fire forming.
Old April 13, 2005, 09:35 PM   #7
j_mcdade

Vickerman Inline Seating Die...

Hi all, first post here,

The Vickerman Inline Seating Die was designed by Winn Vickerman many years ago. Recently, Bob Gemmel of Gemmel's Machine Works obtained permission from Winn Vickerman's widow to re-produce Winn Vickerman's original design. It is now marketed under the name of "The G.M. Vickerman Inline Seating Die".

The die produces very concentric ammo both in the standard version and the micrometer version. The price for the standard die is around $65 and the micrometer version is around $90. The nice thing about this die is that caliber conversions can be purchased for an additional $35. That is a pretty decent deal. I own RCBS, as well as Reddings competetion "S" die sets and Forster dies as well. The Vickerman is an outstanding die, every bit as good as Reddings seater, a pretty good deal if you don't wish to purchase complete (expensive) sets of Reddings, Forsters, etc.

Good Shooting,

Jim