The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 20, 2013, 12:33 PM   #1
ycastane

Got some questions

I think this is the right place to ask since is black powder forum. Anyways i have a modern black powder rifle/muzzleloader for hunting. Its CVA Wolf brake open in .50 cal. When i purchased the rifle from basspro a few yrs ago the guy gave me the winchester 209 primers, Hodgdon Pellets and bullets. Ive used it many times hunting and in the range but never paid any attention to the details of what the pellet box said and primers etc.

I need to buy more pellets and the box i have says for inline rifles, mine is brake open. So does it matter or not?

I put 2 pellets on the rifle when i shoot it but i have no idea how many grains they are since the box doesnt say it anywhere but they are Hodgdon Triple 7 and i know Hodgdon makes them in 30gr and 50gr. So the question is what is the safest or maximum load anyone has shot? The box says not to exceed 100gr.
Old September 20, 2013, 01:13 PM   #2
noelf2

Your Wolf is an in-line, with a break action. You are good. Most often, the pellets used in rifles are 50gr equivalent. I would bet money that you were using two 50gr 777 pellets. By your description, you have been using Winchester 777 #209 primers, which is the most often prescribed primer for 777 pellets.
Old September 20, 2013, 02:07 PM   #3
shortwave

noelf2 is spot on in his answer.

I know your question is about pellets only but if you go to loose 777 powder you want to reduce your charge by 15% of most other loose powders. Triple Seven loose powder is a bit hotter then other loose powders.

In other words if you want to shoot 100grn. equivalent of loose powder you only use 85grns of loose 777.

You don't have to worry about that with the 777 pellets as the reduction has been made for you in the pellets themselves.

Last edited by shortwave; September 20, 2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old September 20, 2013, 02:17 PM   #4
noelf2

Good point shortwave. I need to get in the habit of saying the pellets are equivalent to 50 grains of black powder.
Old September 20, 2013, 06:24 PM   #5
ycastane

Okay good to know, i figured they were 50gr but wasnt sure after checking grafs and they have both 30gr and 50gr same looking box for both so i wanted to make sure before i purchase some locally.