The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 8, 2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Beagle333

My new BP Hand Cannon

I got this thing today. It's a handgonne, or hand cannon. It is possibly the oldest type of portable firearm. This one is supposedly .54 caliber. Or that's what size balls came with it. The touch hole is a bit tricky to me. I have never had a flinter, so I'm not too sure what do do about this. According to my best attempt at measurements with my micrometer, the touch hole is about .063 in diameter. It came with some .072 fuse, which will not go into the hole, of course. I'm not even sure it was ever used, or that's just what the guy had lying around and sent it anyway. Perhaps I could just drizzle some 4F on top of the hole and light that. I'm not really sure. Usually the butt end of it would be fitted onto a short pole or piece of bamboo and it would somehow be lit by a bit of burning wick dabbed at the hole while really concentrating on aiming.

If anybody has any experience with small cannons or large bp rifles with a similar size touch hole..... feel free to offer advice. I'm gonna do some more research before I touch it off, but it sure looks like loads of fun! 'Probably not too good for CAS shooting... but I think it was used more by the cowboys of the early 14th century.

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 8, 2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Beagle333

Perhaps it was used like this.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 8, 2013, 09:13 PM   #3
maillemaker

Medieval handgonnes usually had a wooden stock. Not like a modern rifle, but more like a shovel handle sticking out the back of the barrel. You'd lay it over your shoulder or under your armpit. Often they would have hooks that could be hooked over a rampart.

They would be touched off with a slow match.

Your handgonne appears to be a modern intepretation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD6SbAzdvc8

Steve
Old August 8, 2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Beagle333

So I would just pour a little pile of 4F on top of that hole and light that?
(thanks for the video)

Hmmmm..... looking around some.... 1.5mm (.059") fuse is available cheap, as well. This might be fun! I do think I'd rather be hiding behind a tree some distance away, the first dozen times I touch 'er off.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; August 8, 2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: exploring options...
Old August 8, 2013, 10:01 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's supposed to be on a staff. It can have a point on the end to shove into the ground and turn it around to face oncoming cavalry. Mebbe the Queen will send the Horse Guards over here? You can be in the forefront to defend the capitol so they don't burn it again.
Old August 8, 2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Bill Akins

Quote:
Beagle333 wrote:
So I would just pour a little pile of 4F on top of that hole and light that?
I'd say you'd be safe in doing that or even using 3F Beagle. The other options you have are getting a smaller diameter fuse, or drilling out the touch hole to accept the larger fuse that was sent with it. But if you drill out the touch hole to a larger diameter, you'll lose a little more pressure coming out the touch hole when it goes off. I'd just use a smaller diameter fuse if it was me. Looks like a fun piece to play around with. Be safe and have fun with it.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old August 9, 2013, 01:38 PM   #7
9mmfan

That's pretty nifty.

You really gotta say something snarky, then light off the touch hole with a cigarillo. Just once. Sorry to be silly, it's a slow day around the house.
Old August 9, 2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Pahoo

Interesting !!!

Beagle333,
This is going to sound funny but is the touch hole, .063 in diameter all the way to the main chamber? Many fused cannons are not. This allows you to have a good burning fuse to the restricted vent and that way, dump the spark on top of the main charge. Somewhat like a nipple; Large entry, small vent. ..

Now, as far as where that barrel came from, I haven't a clue. I worked in an industrial plant and found many round stock parts that could be bored out and deeper and easily turned into a cannon. I did just that, on many occasion's but did install trunnions. Might add that all the barrels I made or machined, had restricted fuse-holes, at the bottom. Can you show us a picture of the rear end-cop. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old August 9, 2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Beagle333

Well.... here's a couple with a paper clip through the hole. 'Best I can tell, she's the same diameter. 'Just from looking down through it and poking a small drill bit in there.

And here's a couple looking down through the touch hole toward the bore light.

And here's a couple of the breech end. It is hollow inside with a threaded hole. The hole doesn't go all the way to the knurled section, so the "breech plug" would still be over an inch thick. But it looks like somebody had it mounted in a 2" pipe at one time, by the marks on the outside of the body.

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 9, 2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Beagle333

It has a big "1 7/8" stampeded on the muzzle end (see first photos).
I guess that was the original steel size before turning. I didn't slug the barrel, but a .540 ball will just barely roll down in there and back out with a good bit of shaking/tapping. If I were to use a .530 ball, it would probably need a patch.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 9, 2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Old Stony

I think I'd be tempted to turn out a hardwood stick to attach to the base and use a fuse.

Last edited by Old Stony; August 10, 2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old August 10, 2013, 10:27 AM   #12
Pahoo

Chinese Hand-Canon ???

Quote:
I think I'd be tempted to turn out a hardwood stick to attach to the base and use a fuse.
Same here and would be period correct for the Chinese Hand-Cannons. You could put a long staff and although I forget the spelling, It was referred to as Lintle stock or a shorter pistol grip stock. The longer stock would keep you further away, from the muzzle as a safety measure. At any rate, I'd be having lots of fun with this one. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old August 11, 2013, 06:43 PM   #13
MattShlock

I shoot such all the time. I'd really like to know what kind of steel it is! Other than that treat it like a hand gun. Dribble a little 4f into the touch hole. Light it with a linstock and slowmatch if you want to be modern. A hot wire pick from a brazier if not. You put a wood tiller in the back. Might have had a machine/wood screw in the back once.

Good luck.

PS: knurling is not period.

Last edited by MattShlock; August 11, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old August 12, 2013, 05:30 PM   #14
Beagle333

Quote:
I'd really like to know what kind of steel it is!
Me too. It's definitely steel and it's really thick, but I'm still a little scared of the thing. It's gonna go off closer to me than I want, no matter how I hold it.
Quote:
PS: knurling is not period.
I'm bettin' you're right on that. I won it in an auction and it was really just to support the cause.... but the win came with a cannon.

I'll probably sell it without ever firing a shot. I just got a Winchester '94 yesterday and it looks like it's going to be much more fun to restore and shoot.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 12, 2013, 06:27 PM   #15
Bill Akins

Quote:
Beagle333 wrote:
Me too. It's definitely steel and it's really thick, but I'm still a little scared of the thing. It's gonna go off closer to me than I want, no matter how I hold it.
You can overcome that Beagle. The same way the ancients did when they went forward from a hand cannon to the matchlock. All you have to do is to make yourself a serpentine (cock or hammer) that will hold a slow burning "match" that you can make from potassium nitrate impregnated cord, that will smolder slowly, and then attach a bellcrank fo the serpentine and attach a cord to the bellcrank, so that you can hold the pole out and just pull on the cord to lower the serpentine so its smouldering "match" will ignite the touch hole.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old August 12, 2013, 09:42 PM   #16
MattShlock

This is what he means. You can bang one out from flat stock -- that's what The Rifle Shoppe would sell ya.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Serpentine First Illustration 1411.jpg (16.7 KB, 49 views)
Old August 13, 2013, 08:49 AM   #17
indy1919

MattShlock... Please some detail on the lower handgonne.. It has the look...

And Beagle... For Gods sake shoot it please, even with a blank load & fuse at least, Just treat it like a cannon, lit it and run like hell... But shoot it once... Please do it for me. I really want to know if it shoots!!!!!!. And I love the knurling... It gives it a certain industrial quality
Old August 13, 2013, 10:13 AM   #18
4V50 Gary
Staff

I need to make one for myself.
Old August 13, 2013, 12:53 PM   #19
indy1919

A couple photos I can add

The serpentine gonne shoots 75 cal balls..

The handgonne on the stick shoots 3 oz sinkers... This one is really heavy, but I got a very heavy poll for it and it really makes it easy to point and shoot...

I was hitting 2 liter bottles at 30 yards.. with out much effort

Now with in reason the farther you can get the Handgonne out in front of you the easier it was to aim... Also I use a slow match on a stick to light that one

Old August 13, 2013, 03:11 PM   #20
Beagle333

Quote:
Just treat it like a cannon, lit it and run like hell... But shoot it once
I may have to do that.... Rain predicted for next 4 days in AL, but I'll try to find a break in it and work.

I didn't realize there were other shooters of the hand gonne. We shoulda started a thread in BP section long ago for folks to post pics of theirs.
Maybe when I get it working, I'll try to get a good shot and start one.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; August 13, 2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old August 13, 2013, 09:06 PM   #21
MattShlock

Indy;
That picture is of two reproductions of The Tannenberg Gun, the oldest specifically dated gun (1399, tho it is older) in western civilization. The top is a brass approximization. The bottom is a German-made museum quality true copy of it in bronze. Yes, they're real. Below is a pic of the original in the museum...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tannenberg_rechts.jpg (17.3 KB, 36 views)
Old August 13, 2013, 10:48 PM   #22
indy1919

moocho thanks MattShlock

I was not aware of this gun... The aged copy is beautiful.. Googled it & found some of the history of the piece... Again thanks for sharing...

Also came across a way for Beagle333 to test his with out lighting the fuze & running

http://www.handgonne.com/tann2.html
Old September 24, 2013, 05:15 AM   #23
Beagle333

Update to this, the slowest CAS shooter out there is still gathering equipment.
I guesstimated that this thing was threaded with a 5/16 hole and so I got a bolt from Lowes.... wouldn't thread in..., So I got a metric equivalent next time I was at Lowes..... no dice. So last night I got a 5/16-24 fine threaded bolt and it fits perfectly. And I bought a post hold digger handle that is just a tad bigger than the hole in the back. With just a little turning down, this should fit into there. I'm thinking I can drill out the end of the wooden handle to accomodate the bolt shank (cut the head off), JB-Weld it into the wood, and then have a 3 or 4' handle on the handgonne. Now to start thinking about one of those string/trigger fuse-holding devices to attach. I also bought a long skinny machine bolt to go through the handle as a hinge and a couple of short hobby springs.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; September 24, 2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: added pic
Old September 25, 2013, 02:02 PM   #24
brazosdave

Very cool! Please post us an update when ya get around to shootin it!
Old September 25, 2013, 02:11 PM   #25
zxcvbob

Have you fired it yet?

I made something like that many years ago from a replacement shotgun barrel that I bought from Dixie Gunworks. 16 gauge, I think. Sawed it off to about 10 or 12 inches, and put a breech plug in it. (I'm not saying this was safe, but I thought it was at the time) Used it to fire blanks with about 70 to 100 grains of FFF blackpowder and a fiber shotgun wad. The noise and the fire was most impressive. I should have built a little carriage for it.