The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 21, 2013, 11:51 PM   #1
kharter

Mountain Man Rendezvous

I met a guy who goes to these mountain man rondevu and he invaded me to go this next year and i was so excited! He told me stories about how he and a friend had made bowie knives and tomahawks for it this last year. I instantly became jealous because i wish i could do that. So he told me that i need to go online and find a copote pattern and make myself one. So If any of you know anything or anyway that i can use some help with building up my uniform and gord?(i think it was called) but how i can make it or other materials i can use and all that but any information on what i can get or how i can make something i would greatly appreciate it.
Old September 22, 2013, 03:22 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

I don't generally join in such events but....

...not knowing what I am talking about never hindered me from talking.

It looks like you may already have a good start with your friend. Your first best source.

Don't know where you live but this is only one of numerous sites which came up by doing a search for "mountain man rendezvous"

http://www.crazycrow.com/events_rendezvous/

Maybe something close to you.

You also took the second best step by coming to this forum. You will get a lot of answers here.

I'd also start surfing the net to look for patterns for stuff you can make and sources of the stuff you can't make.

Now I will step back and let those who are better informed advise you.
Old September 22, 2013, 08:22 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Get thee to the library and borrow (or get it via inter-library loan) Book of Buckskinning. Collectively they have all the info you'll need to be outfitted for rendezvous.
Old September 22, 2013, 09:50 AM   #4
kharter

yes i have found that cite but along with getting books where can i get supplies like deer skin, fox or coon fur for a hat kind of stuff that is already tanned soi can work with it???
Old September 22, 2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Hawg

Do a google search on animal furs and pelts for sale and animal hides for sale.
Old September 22, 2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Pahoo

You might be hooked and that's great !!!

Quote:
Get thee to the library and borrow (or get it via inter-library loan) Book of Buckskinning.
There is a series or set of these books, by Scurlock publishing company and they are filled with lots of great stuff. I have the complete set and will look specifically for these. I know I have seen patterns before especially during my BuckSkinner days. .... There are many places you can find patterns and some are free. Just "Bing" it and shop all you want.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 22, 2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Series70

Rendezvous goods

Another good place to look is Track of the Wolf, and order a catalog from 'em. It's pretty exhaustive, and a good place to start.

Clothes:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/394

Primitive camping:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/1065

Good luck!
Old September 24, 2013, 10:19 AM   #8
salvadore

The little woman and I had wanted to go to this event,8th Annual Smoking Waters Mountain Man Rendezvous & 1800�s Living History Encampment, for a few years but schedules never worked. This year we were able to walk around for an hour or so. After making the rounds I came to the conclusion that most mountain men died of boredom. You may purchase food, don't know how good it was, artsy crafty stuff, japan....indonesion? toy guns and bows etc. some very pricey furs, badges jewelry etc. There was one muzzle loader shoot scheduled on the day before the last day. I was underwhelmed, but admit some of the folks looked like they had stepped out of 1820s Rockies. I'm a big history buff and shoot bpc guns and loose powder and ball even own a Stetson (believe there is a law that all adult Idaho males own one) and even tho I haven't seen the latest lone ranger flic, may get a crow. That said, you would have to be more enthusiastic than me (I?) to enjoy the experience. If you're interested it's in early august west of West Yellowstone Mt.
Old September 24, 2013, 07:21 PM   #9
tony pasley

Those events are a blast for the re-enactors that go not so much for the lookers
Old September 25, 2013, 06:39 AM   #10
Captchee

salvadore
if thats the one up in west Yellowstone , then ya its more of a public show /trade fair type of deal .

it takes a while to figure out just what events are for you and what arent .
im not sure how far you are from them but the Portneuf muzzleloaders down out of Pocatello put on a very nice vooo.

There also used to be one out of Ft Henry . . Went to that one once but wasn’t overly impressed have not been back so I cant tell you if its changed or not .. These days I stay more west and north and attend a lot of events in the eastern Oregon area .

As to cloths Dixie Gun works has a large selection of patterns and gear as does Crazy crow
Remember though that there is a difference between buckskinning and re-enacting actual history of the fur trade and earlier . So I would recommend doing some research prior to spending a lot of money if the later is what your after .
Both IMO are a lot of fun , lots of good folks .