The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 11, 2002, 04:18 PM   #1
Rosedog

What's a California hi-power shooter to do?

After Camp Perry this year and looking at the trend in Service Rifle competetion, the AR-15 is the "hot" rifle. What are California residents doing in High Power? What I mean is, now that AR type rifles are "evil assualt rifles" and are banned, what is a Californian to do to be competetive? The M-1 and M-1A are just not quite in the same league as far as the AR accuracy is concerned. Are California residents now out of luck in Service Rifle Comp?
Old January 14, 2002, 12:31 PM   #2
karlfitt

I used to live in Calif. and I owned a pre ban AR-15 Target with a 1 in 7 twist barrel.
I did use it for long range work.
Unless they have changed the rules again since I moved out of the state 4 years ago, all you need to do is find someone else in Calif. that has an AR-15 they want to sell. I can still be transferred in Calif. you just can not bring any more of the EVIL things into the state.:barf:

Karl
Old January 14, 2002, 02:19 PM   #3
Marvin Gardens

No you can't, the law has changed. SB23 required registration and stopped transfer of "assault weapons" in California. If you want to get rid of one you must sell it out of state, turn it in, or remove one or more (I'm not a lawyer, so don't ask me which ones) of the evil features that make it an assault weapon. If you die you can't leave them to a family member. I think your choices would be limited now in Service Rifle to a Garand or a Springfield M1-A with that "California legal" compensator on the end of the barrel. You could always look into Palma.

Regards,
Marvin
Old January 14, 2002, 07:25 PM   #4
9x45

The "Black Rifle" has been hot at Perry for many years. Nothing has changed in CA except for the paperwork. Just make sure you have your registration, receipt for gun and magazines, and keep it locked. Other than that, it's still a long drive to Perry from SoCal, and it seems longer every year. Personally, I wish they would move the match to Camp Pendelton!
Old January 14, 2002, 07:40 PM   #5
Marvin Gardens

The one small change that has occurred is that you can't buy one. If you already own an AR or equivilent (and registered it) you're fine. If you didn't get one before the ban took affect, your looking at an Garand or M1-A.

Marvin
Old January 15, 2002, 05:51 PM   #6
Steve Smith

I rarely come over here to the "comp" forum. Another HP shooter here. I think that these guys are right. The best way to find out some details is to go to www.shooterstalk.com and ask the HP forum, and do the same on www.ar15.com "Comp" forum and Florida (I know, trust me) HP fourms at http://forums.delphi.com/flahighpower/messages

Good luck, and start thinking about shooting Match Rifle instead of Service Rifle.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old January 17, 2002, 03:31 AM   #7
Salt

The '03 springfield Rifle may be another option.

Perhaps the old military bolt action can be made more accurrate than the AR-15?
Old January 19, 2002, 11:57 AM   #8
Lmccrock

Salt,

An 03 is not a "Service Rifle" by Highpower rules. It falls into Match Rifle category.

As for what's a Californian to do, one option is stick to M1 or M14/M1a, and have it accurized (within the limits of service rifle). Good barrels and smooth triggers go a long way toward improving scores.

I shot my last few matches with a Garand. Scores are lower, but it is forcing me to maintain my old rifles, since the low scores have been more due to operational problems (gas valve screw coming loose) than inherent rifle issues.

Lee