The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 26, 2001, 12:36 PM   #1
Monty

I'm interested in getting a higher visability front sight for my Persuader but am unsure what my options are. I was looking hard at the replacement barrel with the ghost ring sights but the barrel length is wrong, mine is a 20", 8-shot. They do have a replacement barrel with the rifle sights, could I just take off the rear rifle sight and replace with the ghost ring. They also say the 500s need to be drilled and tapped for the ghost ring sight but I've got a pair of screw holes both in front of and to the rear of the ejection port so I'm guessing mine is already done. Is there just a more visable front sight that can replace the small brass bead this one wears. It looks like it would just unscrew and maybe a large (more visable) bead could be added. What about a screw in night sight? Just looking for options (non-gunsmith). Thanks, Monty
Old April 26, 2001, 03:12 PM   #2
Jeff, CA

Don't know about adding the ghost rings to an existing gun, but as far as the bead goes, Mossberg uses an oddball thread size on their beads ("5-40"). There aren't many aftermarket beads in 5-40, but there are a bunch with 6-48 threads. I had a gunsmith drill mine out & tap it ($10). Get a Brownell's catalog - it has several pages of bead sights in brass, white, red, and at least one with tritium. Some of them are higher than others, so you can also get some limited elevation adjustment if you need it. You'd also have to have the shank cut off and shaped to match the inside of the barrel, so you may not be able to avoid gunsmithing.

Old April 26, 2001, 10:14 PM   #3
Monty

Thanks Jeff. I'm starting to think that any modification to the sights on this one are going to be difficult. Maybe that's how it should be. Maybe I'll just add a side-saddle and maybe a heat shield to it and leave it about as is. It's a damn good shotgun as it sits right now and maybe I'll look for another (how many have I had and traded, 3 I can think of quick) Rem 870 to fancy up a little. The ones on Wilson's web page sure do look nice but that price hurts. Thanks again, Monty
Old April 27, 2001, 12:03 AM   #4
TwoGuns

Monty, I have the same gun. I added a side-saddle, heat-shield, and a shell holder on the buttstock. I ordered a fiber optic front sight from Cheaper Than Dirt for a plain barrel, but they sent me the model for a barrel with a rail. I didn't feel like going through sending it back and waiting for a different one, so I just tested to see if it would fit. Looks good so far, I'll report back after I put a few rounds through it. Now shouldering the gun produces a highly visible orange dot at the front sight, alot better than the original bead.
Old April 27, 2001, 09:00 AM   #5
Jeff, CA

Don't put a sidesaddle on a Mossberg. The aluminum receiver is softer than the SS's steel crossbolt. Eventually, recoil will cause the bolt to wallow out the holes, and then neither the bolt nor the original trigger group pin will ever fit again. Use a butt cuff instead.

Old April 27, 2001, 11:07 AM   #6
Monty

Well crap Jeff, you're just spoiling all my fun Appreciate the advice, I'll follow it.
Old April 27, 2001, 01:42 PM   #7
Jeff, CA

Mine's a "work in progress". I've got the butt cuff sorted out so it doesn't move, I've got the stock length and drop adjusted so it points right (w/credit to Dave McC for the aluminum foil tip); I'm currently trying different front sights to get an acceptable sight picture AND decent point-of-aim/point-of-impact agreement. Once those are all dialed in, I plan to get the upgraded A1 model and do all those adjustments once, and call it good. It's fun if you have the right perspective.

Old April 27, 2001, 04:19 PM   #8
Noah1234

Have you tried Mossberg accessories?

Hey Monty, have you tried looking through Mossbergs line of accessories? Their website is http://www.mossberg.com they have a couple large front beads that replace the origional small brass one, I think they even have a illumiated model. They also sell the GR sight kit, the screws on your reciever are indeed for the Mossberg rear GR sight, but you would have to have a gunsmith install the front sight and re-blue the barrel.

err, wait I just checked and they now have kits available with a new barrel with the front sight already attached. Hope this helps

[Edited by Noah1234 on 04-27-2001 at 06:10 PM]