Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 21, 2013, 06:19 PM   #1
w27

any help is a big plus

I wrote a thread earlyer about squirrel hunting in az
Got a lot of looks but no replys any help is greatly appreciated
Old September 21, 2013, 09:04 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Providing a few more details about where you would like to hunt, what time frames you'll be there, and what species you're after might help get some replies.

As is, your question is difficult to answer. There just isn't any additional information, beyond the state you're in and the area you live in.
Old September 21, 2013, 11:13 PM   #3
w27

We will be camping for weekend but not sure where to hunt this is are first hunt
Old September 21, 2013, 11:31 PM   #4
BuckRub

Sounds fun. I love squirrel hunting and camping. Also hunting new areas is also a blast.
Old September 22, 2013, 02:33 AM   #5
w27

Thanks rob wish I was in texas I would hit u up
Old September 22, 2013, 12:15 PM   #6
603Country

Like someone else said, we aren't sure about your exact need for info. If it's just general squirrel hunting, then I'll provide the basics.

Best time to hunt is early morning and late afternoon. Best type of day to hunt would be a cool still day. And if the ground is a bit damp, you can walk quieter, which is good. Squirrels have radar. Find an area rich in oak trees or pecan trees (or even pine trees) and hunt that area, after entering quietly and sitting, or standing motionlessly. Look for moving tree limbs, which normally would indicate squirrels moving from nesting area to feeding area - which is hopefully where you are now sitting. If I'm hunting for quantity, I use a 12 ga with full choke and number 6 shot. If I'm just hunting for fun, I use a scoped 22 rifle. Having a small pair of binocs with you is good, so you can find the little rascals peeking at you over a limb. Have a pocket or bag of corn or pebbles or acorns. Once you've shot one squirrel, the rest will hide. Wait 5 minutes, then pitch a few pebbles into the dry leaves. The squirrels (the least intelligent ones at least) will think their rivals are now back to eating and they'll come back out in clear sight - hopefully.

That info will get you started. The rest comes from experience. Enjoy yourself. Some of my best memories are from squirrel hunting with my grandfather when I was just a kid. That's where the pebble trick comes from. Grandpa was good. I swear he could spot a squirrel at 1000 yards (well...maybe 100 yards).
Old September 22, 2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Paul B.

Let's keep this simple.

1(602) 924-3000
Az Game & Fish Dept.

That's the head office in Phoenix. if there is any squirrel hunting, it'll probably have a season and you'll need a license. At least you'll get the info from the horse's mouth. be aware that if camping, there still may be serious fire restrictions. We've been pretty dry. Anyway, give them a call and get the straight dope.
Paul B.
Old September 22, 2013, 03:48 PM   #8
w27

Thank guys I got some good info sorry for not being detailed be this is are first hunt I though that said it all but thank you I appreciate the help iam a rookie at this stuff