The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 10, 2006, 08:27 PM   #1
Wrangler5

Lee Auto Prime II on Lee Hand Press?

I am a regular and satisfied user of the Lee Auto Prime (hand held) tool, but I plan to prime about 1K rifle cases and I know my thumb won't last that long on the Auto Prime. I also have the Auto Prime II, the press-top Lee priming tool, and am thinking it might be a useful device to put on a Hand Press and prime in front of the TV.

Anybody have experience with this particular combination? I've usually used the Auto Prime II on a little Lee Reloader press, which makes for a nifty priming system with pretty good feel and very low effort, but I'm attracted to the idea of sitting in a soft chair to do this particular priming job.
Old July 11, 2006, 03:52 PM   #2
Scorch

I've had a Lee Auto Prime for over 25 years. It works well and is easy to use. And yes, you can sit in a comfy chair to do the work, if you choose to. In fact, that is almost exactly how I do it.
Old July 13, 2006, 08:19 PM   #3
Rimrod

I've done it.

Make sure you keep an eye on the primer tray. The vibration can loosen it and cause it to spill all the primers into your comfy chair. If you've never used the hand press it can be brutal on your nuckles but it is guaranteed to increase your bust size.
Old July 13, 2006, 09:39 PM   #4
BigJakeJ1s

RCBS has bench mounted priming tools in strip and tube fed versions. I don't know why they couldn't be mounted to a piece of plywood like a lap desk for use in the easy chair.

Forster has a very nice priming tool also that can be used on the bench or in the lap.

RCBS's new universal hand primer has a larger tray and a universal shellholding system. It and the hornady hand primer use more of the entire hand, rather than just the thumb.

Andy
Old July 16, 2006, 08:46 PM   #5
Marlin.357

Plywood!

I think trying to juggle the hand press with the autoprime attached and and manipulating the cases would severly challenge me. I think the idea of mounting your current press to a piece of plywood that you can put on your lap or a coffeee table or foot stool is the best idea I've seen relevent to your question.

Good luck!
Old July 17, 2006, 09:03 PM   #6
BigJakeJ1s

I doubt mounting a conventional press to a board is going to work in the lap, since the lever stroke has to go below the press. The bench mounted priming tools from RCBS, or the Forster used on a bench, do not require the handle to go below the "bench" top.

Andy
Old July 18, 2006, 12:01 AM   #7
Wrangler5

Well, I went ahead and tried the Auto Prime II on the Hand Press, and while I can make it work it is pretty unwieldy in a chair. I think I'll switch to the RCBS hand primer, that lets me use my whole hand to squeeze instead of just the thumb.

Thanks for the thoughts.