The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 15, 2005, 08:19 PM   #1
RICH_BRITISHCOLUMBIA

semi-auto bear rifle???

I have a question. I work in the forest industry up here in canada and I've been looking for a relyable semi-auto bear gun for some time now. So far the the best thing i can find is a browning BAR which comes in several different calibers, the problem is that the higher caliber ones which i am interested in (338 Mag.+) have a magazine capacity of around 2-3 rounds and i'd rather not carry one in the chamber for safety reasons. This is a problem when a grizz is charging at race horse speed. 2 or 3 shots just isn't enough.
I really like the BAR Lightweight Stalker but 2 shots in the clip isn't nearly enough.
...So here is my question...Does anyone make a replacement magazine for the BAR with higher capacity?
Or...Are there any other high caliber semi-autos with larger capacity magazines?

(at present I carry my DW 357 mag. but after reading a few posts,I feel it is just giving me a false sense of security )

thanks again...Rich Krewenchuk
[email protected]
Old January 16, 2005, 01:56 AM   #2
mikikanazawa

Ruger is billing their new Super Redhawk Alaskan as backup for bear country. It's a "snubbie" available in .454 and .480. (Slightly OT, but I've been dying to talk about that nifty little revolver.)
Old January 16, 2005, 02:52 AM   #3
guntotin_fool

hi Try to find a remington 7400 in 35 whelen

or a pump 7600 in same. They will work, and are affordable.
Old January 16, 2005, 03:04 AM   #4
Lycanthrope

I'd trust the 7600 pump a whole lot more. You can get 15 round mags in 30-06. With 220 grain premium bullets I think that would do!
Old January 16, 2005, 07:06 PM   #5
Chindo18Z

Rich: I have ZERO personal experience with Grizzlies.

That said and if semi-auto / higher capacity is the goal...

MILSURP Romanian FPK Sniper from CDNN; $495 with iron sights, $595 w/ scope & iron sights.

Romanian "clone" of Soviet SVD Sniper Rifle (actually a bit different internally).
7.62mm X 54mm Soviet Rimmed Cartridge. Effectively same ballistics class and performance as 30-'06. Wood skeleton pistol grip stock, AK-47 controls, 10 round magazine. Light, handy, accurate, with reliable action, and full length barrel. Cheap FMJ ammo is readily available. I'm not sure what's available in heavier hunting rounds. Good rifle for out to 600+ yards (with scope) although I realize you are talking WAY close and Grizzly.

Another (cheaper) option would be a Saiga in .308 (again, with the heaviest bullet that will reliably cycle). Carbine length, same control layout as above. I believe 10 rd mags are available.

Neither are overly pretty but will take a lot of outdoor abuse. Both work.

Good Luck...
Old January 16, 2005, 07:07 PM   #6
tpdtom

Well Rich , if you'll forgive me for saying so , you should have a round in the chamber . That's what the gun is for , and you make it safe . That being said , with premium ammo you should be all set for Grizz . Your rifle is arguably the most reliable semi in the world in heavy calibers . I would prefer a .375 bolt or a shotgun with slugs but your set up is sufficient and some would argue superior . Make sure that you are using top shelf ammo like Barnes X Bullets , Trophy Bonded , even Noslers , and make sure they function flawlessly in your gun . Four shots should be enough , but a spare mag is a good idea too .

That handgun IS inadequate though . Most are . That new Ruger is worth a look see though (can you even get one in Canada?). I have had a .44 mag Mountain Gun for my last two trips to AK and I KNEW I was undergunned . The .500 S&W is too big , but this Ruger might be the best thing going ...Tom
Old January 16, 2005, 09:29 PM   #7
shortydoowop138

A .338 has more stopping power than a .308 but not the overkill of a .50 cal BMG.. you can try www.impactguns.com they normally carry dsa .308 with 20 rd mags..the new Ruger 454 looks like a handy lil revolver..i'm getting a S&W 500 and live in So Cali so grizzies isn't much of a concern..i might get the 454 so just to add to my collect..
Old January 16, 2005, 10:07 PM   #8
NovaSS

Barrett M82
Old January 17, 2005, 01:32 AM   #9
Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot

I have had experience with a young grizzly.I shot an elk and he claimed it,the game wardens said he was only 4to 5 years old but he pissed all over my elk and started to cover it up,I loaded 220 gr in my 30/06 and when he stood up and yelled I didn't have the balls to shoot,I backed up and reported it and was told I did the right thing.That bear only went 300-350 and I wanted more than 30/06.I now own a 338win mag and don't feel undergunned any more.The only other choice is my mossberg 9 shot loaded with slugs.Drop-Shot
Old January 17, 2005, 04:25 AM   #10
tpdtom

After I replied earlier I got thinking about the whole question of bears and guns in Canada . I know the different Provinces have their own laws but can a private citizen even use a semi auto rifle in Canada ? For that matter can he purchase a new handgun or carry an old one in the bush ?

I also think I was not clear enough about 4 rounds of .338 WM being enough . It's plenty for Costal or Grizz . I believe .338 is the #1 choice of registered Alaskan Big Game Guides . After seeing them, especially Brownies, up close and personal , you may want more , like me (.375 H&H Mag) , but the .338 is plenty adequate even in a bolt ...Tom
Old January 17, 2005, 05:37 AM   #11
mete

You can modify an AR-15 to fire the 458 SOCOM which is the equivalent of a good loading of a 45-70.
Old January 17, 2005, 06:12 AM   #12
RICH_BRITISHCOLUMBIA

just wanted to thank everyone for their great advice on my bear gun canundrum (keep it comin')
...well, first off, the barrett is an awsome piece of workmanship, but it might be a little heavy to lug around for 14 hrs.a day at 32.5 lbs.(although i would be pretty well covered)

Caliber: .50 BMG
Magazine: 10-shot detachable box magazine
Barrel: 29"
Weight: 32.5 lbs
Length: 57" overall
Stock: Composite with Sorbothane recoil pad.
Sights: Scope with ironsights.
Max Effective Range 1830 meters
Features: Semi-automatic
Recoil operated
Recoiling barrel to reduce felt recoil
Highly effective Muzzle Brake
Three-lug locking bolt
Self leveling bi-pod
Barrett claims 1 MOA with match ammunition

the .375 h&h is a real gem and undoubtably the #1 dangerous game rifle in the world (especially the lex webernick lightweights) but doesnt come in a semi-auto (that i can find anyway)
It is really hard, if not impossible to find the balance between BRUTE POWER, reliability, and speed. " i might be better off with a desk job"
Old January 17, 2005, 12:09 PM   #13
dairycreek

I know you said semi auto and...............

I apologize in advance for going a different direction. However, if self protection against grizzly bears is the goal then I urge you to take a look at a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 loaded with Garrett Ammo. The Guide Gun is a short, highly maneuverable, lever action gun and Garrett Ammo is designed to stop the largest of animals dead in their tracks. This is a combination that has been tested and produces results for large animals. Good luck whatever you choose.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old January 17, 2005, 10:06 PM   #14
Bob41081

I don't know anything about them but you might take a look at:

http://www.gunblast.com/50Beowulf.htm

and www.alexanderarms.com

Bob