The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Beentown71

Another recommendation thread...

For a little background/reminder I will be loading on a Lee Classic Turret Press. I cannot shoot at my home, well I could but I won't have enough room to really see what the reloads are doing.

Anyway, I am looking for a portable press so I can work up loads at the farm (400 yard+ range) and then use that info at home to finish loading them up.

What do you recommend? I am thinking of a Lee Breech Lock Hand Press Kit...

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old April 5, 2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

That's what I use. Works fine. There is a more powerful two-handle press available. You can search for it on line, but I'm not convinced it is necessary.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 5, 2013, 03:27 PM   #3
F. Guffey

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ress&FORM=IGRE

F. Guffey
Old April 5, 2013, 07:25 PM   #4
flashhole

I built this to haul back and forth to the range. I have two of the Lee Classic Turret presses. One on the portable stand the other on the bench. I just switch out turrets from one press to the other. Very handy.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old April 5, 2013, 08:00 PM   #5
Mike / Tx

These are what I use when I am out in the country or even out at the range,

The little Lee don't look all that impressive, and for that matter it really isn't, but it can and has loaded a TON of very accurate ammo. For their intended uses, working up loads while away, they both handle it pretty well.
Old April 5, 2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Cesure

I use a Lee Breechlock Hand Press and, for handgun cartridges, I think it's great. I've heard it isn't good for full length sizing of long rifle cases because it doesn't have enough leverage, but I guess full length sizing isn't always required. The Lee Loader is another option. That's the one you whack with a hammer and you need a separate kit for each caliber.
Old April 6, 2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Boomer58cal

I haven't seen one before, but a local shop here in town has a fold up reloading bench with a lee loader setup for $200. I almost bought it myself. It looks like a fancy saw horse. Then I thought I could make one myself. If I didn't have three extra presses I would have bought it. I don't know if it was a factory made one but it looked like it.

Boomer
Old April 6, 2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Misssissippi Dave

I guess if you didn't want to do the ladder method for ammo you want to test at home, the Lee Loader might be a reasonable option. If I went this way, I would want to prep all my brass on a regular press including installing the primer. Then it is just a matter of loading the powder, seating the bullet and adding the crimp. That would cut down you time between shots while you are loading. It would also allow you to full length size and trim the cases if needed.
Old April 6, 2013, 09:02 PM   #9
LAH

Like Dave I would do everything at the house except throwing the powder charge & seating the bullet. A cheap Lee "C" press would work fine for this.
Old April 6, 2013, 11:07 PM   #10
Beentown71

Thanks for all the advice. I may just purchase another Lee Classic Turret and keep it at the farm. For only $100 I can have the same press both places. Just carry the turret plate with the dies already to go. Just have to wait it out until they are more readily available. Going to have to use the ladder method until then.

Thanks again all.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old April 7, 2013, 08:29 PM   #11
Lost Sheep

I have my Lee Classic Turret (and the board it mounts on) in a plastic toolbox about 23" long. Seven sets of dies in turrets in another, smaller toolbox and powder measures, scales and miscellaneous tools in another. Highly portable.

With a Black & Decker folding workbench, I can set up anywhere in about 15 minutes and load as conveniently as I can at home. No extra press needed at all.

Just the way I do it.

Lost Sheep