The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2010, 05:15 PM   #1
h322

.204 primers

hi i have just started loading for a .204 should i be using magnum primers and is h322 a good powder for .204 with 32 gn blitz kings thanks for any help!
Old May 14, 2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You normally wouldn't use magnum primers unless the load data calls for them. Magnum primers can raise pressure as much as 10% over standard primers.

The Lyman 49th does not list magnum primers for the 204 for any powders listed. The suggested a starting load of 25.4gr H322 and a max of 26.7gr using Hornady 32gr V-Max bullets.

Based on the velocity numbers from Lyman, H322 seems to be "middle of the road" in terms of velocity for the 32gr bullets.

The Hornady bullets may not be the same length as the blitz kings so the data may not be directly transferable.

Start low and work up.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:07 PM   #3
sk330lc

STD. primers are best... If you use mag primers start lower and work up. as stated you will see higher pressure faster with the mag primers.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:30 PM   #4
kraigwy

When I first got my 204, there wasnt much reloading info. I did locate sierra's supplement online. I started using the recommended accuracy load for the 32 grn bullet they listed.

I got lousy accuracy and not the velocity I had hoped for.

I changed on thing, the primer, I went from Federal SR Match primers to CCI standard primers.

My velocity jumped up there and my accuracy was great. Less signs of pressure also.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 15, 2010, 12:56 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

Magnum primers are about the powder used. They burn a bit hotter for a bit longer. They're made to light hard to ignite powders and cold weather shooting. You only need 'em if your manual says to use 'em.
You must work up the load for your rifle using data from your manual. Load for the bullet weight. Who made it doesn't matter.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:46 PM   #6
mrawesome22

hi r u loading .204Ruger or what also what is a 32 gn blitz king these are some of the questions i have for you at this time i hope you will be getting back with is on these vury portent questions on the subject of which you are refering too thanks and have a wondurfill days
Old May 15, 2010, 01:39 PM   #7
h322

im loading for a .204 ruger and 32 gn blitz king is a ballistic tip sierra bullet. Thanks for the replys!
Old May 15, 2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

H322,

I think the best way to decide what primer to use is, for a given powder and bullet combination, work up to the best accuracy load with each primer and see one gives you that? If they are all about the same, use Dan Newberry's round robin to see which one is most forgiving of charge weight error? That one will give you the least trouble with loading and with temperature change.

Kraig,

It is axiomatic that, for any fixed powder charge and barrel length and bullet, velocity may only be increased by increasing pressure, as when raising temperature, or seating a bullet either below or above the pressure minimus, or when using a hotter primer. I am wondering if the pressure indicator you were looking at was the primer condition? CCI primer cups always seem harder than Federals do to me. They go in harder, yet are deformed less by decapping. A harder primer cup could sure make it look like pressure had decreased when it hadn't.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle