The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 1, 1999, 11:39 AM   #1
buzz riley

I have a friend who is looking for a starter gun for his son. A single shot is preferred. If anyone wants to part with one at a reasonable price, please contact me at [email protected]

------------------
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9
Old March 1, 1999, 05:14 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

Last time I checked you could get one the H&R single shots for under $100 NIB. My first shotgun was one of those. I remember taking the Hunter Safety course with it. The test included needing to shoot at a swinging Milk Jug (empty) about 25 yards away from the firing line. They reused the jugs over and iver agian until they fell off the string. I was the only one there with a .410, I had to shoot it three times before they were sure that I had gotten it, since it didn't get sent flying when my puny little .410 birdshot pellets hit it.

------------------
-Essayons
Old March 4, 1999, 09:29 AM   #3
KNIGHT

I asked a friend who is an avid shotgunner and his point of view was: If the kid is to young to handle a 20g the child should not be using a gun. The 410g is a very small shell for a child to shooting. It is an expert's shell because it is very hard to hit anything with. The pattern is very small and difficult to use effectively. The kid could become frustrated quickly and not want to shoot the gun any more. So my friend suggested a 20g single with modified choke. the 20g has a much beter pattern, better killing power(if you plan on hunting), and the single will help the kid learn ammo conservation.
Old March 4, 1999, 12:39 PM   #4
cornered rat

Single-shot .410 has very little kick, is light and easy to aim. However, it does not have much power or range. Could lack of range be an advantage from stand-point of safety?

20ga kicks much harder, esp. light single-shot models...do you really want to teach the kid to flinch from the start?

I am much in favor of .410 for kids or skittish adults...they can still do damage with slugs or BB shot, but without the kick that comes with much heavier 20ga OTOH, I tend to be a whimp...and most 12-13yr old kids I know who hunt or shoot trap use a 12ga.
Old March 4, 1999, 04:17 PM   #5
KNIGHT

You can go with a 410g but you still have to consider the kid's point of view. A kid who doesn't have much shotgun time might become frustrated with a 410g because the small shell doesn't give him much room for error, and being that the pattern is so small the kid isn't going to hit much the first time out. So you have to give the kid something he or she will have an easier time with.
Old March 4, 1999, 11:23 PM   #6
Grayfox

My scout troop goes trap shooting every year. We have alot of small boys and a variety of shotguns. Almost all of them try the .410, but switch to a 20. The 20 gauge is much easier to hit with. Most of them miss with a .410. Then again, I've seen some really small boys go to town with a 12 gauge.
I'd also recommend the H&R Topper. Good gun, inexpensive. BTW: this is what most Boy Scout camps use.