The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 3, 2013, 01:21 PM   #26
Rigmarol

When new I guess they would have sold for $20 or so back in the day. What was that about a months pay? Probably more!

I'm going to get it up and working before I decide on defarbing. I like the old worn look and will likely leave it. There are some small issues with it so far.

The trigger isn't resetting and even though it looks well timed, the bolt has a nasty burr I'd like to take down.

The side of the frame has a few nasty scratches from a Ham-handed screwdriver operator, but that's cosmetic. I'm afraid once I get those scratches taken out I'll have a large shinny patch that will have to be dealt with.

I cleaned it while I had it tore down and have it a nice oil coat and put it all back together, for now.

I need to order some nipples next.
Old March 8, 2013, 09:32 PM   #27
Rigmarol

I was sharing my find on another forum I spend time on and someone is claiming I actually have a mix of parts. He says that CVA and ASM would never be on one gun.

It's my understanding that ASM made the gun and CVA marketed or sold it as a kit project.

Can anyone provide evidence that can set us straight one way or the other?
Old March 8, 2013, 09:42 PM   #28
Fingers McGee

Quote:
It's my understanding that ASM made the gun and CVA marketed or sold it as a kit project.
That would be correct. CVA was nothing more than an importer and marketer. They sold guns that were made by ASM and other makers.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 8, 2013, 10:24 PM   #29
robhof

robhof

You done very good. I've got 4 ASM's and they all work fine, some needed some TLC to get right, but they all work fine now, for that price you can't go wrong, even if it were a wall hanger, but it looks shootable and that's great.
Old March 9, 2013, 04:48 AM   #30
Doc Hoy

Beg to differ...

Quote:
He says that CVA and ASM would never be on one gun.
I have two revolvers very similar to OP 1860. They are brass frame rather than steel but before I went to work on them, the frame was marked with the CVA logo and the barrel had A.S.M. at about the "5 o'clock" position (Looking from behind the revolver.)
Old March 9, 2013, 08:40 AM   #31
Hawg

Its not unusual to see CVA and ASM on a gun but what really threw me for a loop was the first NIB ASM I saw with both CVA and Traditions logos on the frame.
Old March 9, 2013, 05:56 PM   #32
Rigmarol

Thanks guys, you been very helpful.