The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 12, 2008, 11:33 PM   #1
tropicman

1872 Open top

Hi.....I'm a newbie here.....Last year I bought a new 1872 open top chambered in 44 Colt. After shooting it at the range, I tried removing the barrel for cleaning and it wouldn't budge. Finally had to return it to be fixed. The verdict was that the cylinder pin was bent. Anyone else have this problem?
Old May 13, 2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Gbro

Quote:
I tried removing the barrel for cleaning and it wouldn't budge.
Did you mean the cylinder?

What were you using for powder?
How many grains?
Old May 13, 2008, 10:53 AM   #3
tropicman

Gbro

Hello Gbro........I meant the barrel. The cylinder slides on the cylinder pin and then the barrel mounts on the end of the cylinder pin. The pin was bent at the factory so that the barrel couldn't be removed by hand. The installer at the factory must have had two left thumbs. I was using Titegroup smokeless powder starting loads.

Tropicman
Old May 13, 2008, 01:26 PM   #4
DrLaw

Uh, how did you know???

If you could not get the barrel off, how did you know that the cylinder pin was bent. The thing about some replicas is that the tolerances on the cylinder pin and barrel can be very tight. I had this situation on my .44 Army. It wasn't a bent cylinder pin, just a very tight gun.

The Doc is out now.
Old May 13, 2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
If you could not get the barrel off, how did you know that the cylinder pin was bent. The thing about some replicas is that the tolerances on the cylinder pin and barrel can be very tight. I had this situation on my .44 Army. It wasn't a bent cylinder pin, just a very tight gun.
If you'd read his post you'd know he sent it back to the factory to be fixed.
Old May 14, 2008, 11:13 AM   #6
tropicman

Bent cylinder pin

Well, when I returned the gun, the Gunsmith had to remove the barrel. It was he who diagnosed it as a bent cylinder pin. The last half inch or so of the end of the pin is bent, so that the cylinder slides on and spins but the barrel was obviously forced on so that that it could only be removed with tools. When I looked at it later, after the gun had been returned, I held a stainless steel rule against the cylinder pin and sure enough, the end was bent. Maybe when the gun was manufactured, the cylinder went on first, then when the barrel was pressed on, the installer didn't take the time to see if it could be removed? Maybe the lunch bell rang, who knows?
Old May 19, 2008, 09:18 AM   #7
timothy75

All the factory did was pull hard on it. With the wedge removed theres nothing locking the barrel to the frame no matter how bent the arbor may be. And if it was too bent the cylinder wouldnt rotate.
Old May 19, 2008, 12:53 PM   #8
CraigC

When you're talking about Italian replicas, anything is possible. I have had no problems with my Open Top .44Colt, it's a wonderful sixgun. Fitted mine with one-piece TruIvory. I did have to send my 1860 Transition model cartridge conversion back to Cimarron for terrible finish problems. They sent a replacement that is better but still not as good as the Open Top.