The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 10, 2005, 12:18 PM   #26
brickeyee

"I can't believe that you don't think the pressures (physiological or otherwise) associated with getting shot at won't affect you ability to get the gun on target by pure feel, 'muscle memory' and timing."

It has not, and I expect it would not.
I am not at liberty to discuss the exact locations and details.
I can and have placed the hammer shots within inches of each other under real world conditions.

No matter what it takes time to view and align the sites
In poor lighting conditions it often becomes more problematic (let alone when muzzle flash issues from your weapon or someone else’s are present).
I have never has an encounter in even ‘good’ lighting conditions, and none of the guys I have met have either.

The hammer is a tool in a bag of tools to use when needed.
It is not always the answer, but training to always align the sites perfectly is not always the answer either.
I already know how to aim the gun for every shot. Being able to also place a second shot at shorter ranges without re-acquiring the sites and target perfectly (‘flash’ site picture or not) is just another tool added to the kit.

This reminds me of the arguments over ‘point’ shooting. I prefer the sites. I like to have a solid idea of were the shot will land. That does not mean I have not trained to fire from a low position. At zero range to target it may be all you have.

Any of these methods are just tools to apply if required under the circumstances. If you have never trained to fire a hammer you will never be able to cleanly execute one if it is needed.
Old June 10, 2005, 01:36 PM   #27
OF

There's alot in your last post I agree with completely and I think we're getting down to hair splitting real fast here. I'm not even sure we're talking about two different things any more. I hope I haven't been misunderstood to the point where you think I advocate a 'classic' sight-picture and adjustment for every shot, that's not true at all.

My only point is that it is no slower to verify the guns alignment before you loose that second shot than it is not to. That verification can take many forms. At less than arms length it may be pure body feel and relying on your index to align the gun. As distances increase, you will need more and more information from the gun to know you are on target, eventually you'll need those sights.

I only want to make clear that a true hammer (as I understand it) is a completely unaimed shot. And by unaimed, I mean unaimed. No alignment information at all. Just point the gun at the target and hit that trigger twice. The more you write, the more I think that's not what you're advocating here. Actually, for the last post or two, I think I've realized we're talking about basically the same thing - a misunderstanding I was trying to avoid.

- Gabe

PS:
Quote:
I am not at liberty to discuss the exact locations and details.
Nor would I ask you to. I'll take your word for it. And I'll also say that I for one am glad you're in one piece and able to discuss minutia like this over the internet
Old June 11, 2005, 12:18 AM   #28
DarkKnight01

Threads like this that turn into pissing contests are perfect reminders as to why I dont hang around here much.....

The thread started about a guy asking about how to properly execute a double tap, and here you guys are argueing about whose right and whose wrong... what is this? a grade school class or a shooters forum?
Old June 11, 2005, 07:31 AM   #29
OF

Well, you may not think it's important, but I know I do and I'll bet brickeyee thinks this subject is/was worth the effort to debate as well.

Don't like it? Don't read it. It's a discussion forum...we discuss things like this here. That's the point.

- Gabe
Old June 11, 2005, 01:32 PM   #30
DarkKnight01

When and where did I say I dont think its important?

I did say that threads turning into a pissing contest because neither of you are grown up enough to just let it go.... is completely pathetic and childish. The original posters question was answered, thats all there should be to it.... but hey whatever floats yer boat.... I really dont care.