The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Reloader2

Walnut tumbling media-- course or fine

Somebody mentioned buying walnut tumbling media at Harbor Freight. I believe they referenced the fine blasting media. I noticed they also sell a course media. Which would work best for cleaning and shining cases in the vibrating tumbler?
Old October 6, 2013, 07:21 PM   #2
4runnerman

Fine is the way to go. Reason--- Won't get stuck in flash holes. Pet stores set it also. It's called Lizzard bedding.
Old October 6, 2013, 07:27 PM   #3
jepp2

Quote:
Which would work best for cleaning and shining cases in the vibrating tumbler?
I haven't noticed any difference in cleaning and shining based on the size of the media. One thing that is different is the coarse media makes a LOT more noise in your vibrating tumbler.
Old October 6, 2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Forrest68

from the prices I saw harbor freights 25# bag is cheaper(by just a few bucks though) by the pound than the lizard litter(10# bag), when harbor freight actually has it in stock. Have put 8 batches threw the lizard litter so far and its still shinen the brass up really nice takes a good 6 hours.
Old October 7, 2013, 02:21 AM   #5
JustSomeGuy

I suppose a preference would depend on whether you are trying to clean rifle or pistol brass, or if you are doing it with the primers removed or still in the cases. With bottleneck cases the fine stuff seems better as it will more easily flow in and out of the constricted bottleneck. With pistol cases it's probably a wash... with little difference between the usefulness of either type.
Old October 7, 2013, 02:50 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Didn't realize that Harbor Freight has it...

I love HF for some things.

I once was advised to dump a little car polish into the tumbler. It didn't work. I used about a teaspoon.

I have decided to tumble without removing the primers.
Old October 7, 2013, 08:44 AM   #7
kln4

I'd check out some local pet stores also. Crushed walnut is what they use for pet gerbels and mice, and other critters. It's cheap and it works fine, I bought 2 25lb bag of it for 10.00 ea about 5 yrs ago and am still using it. It's dusty so I run the tumbler in the garage and throw in a couple of dryer sheets, they tend to collect all the dirt and dust.