The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Khaot1c

Lee Powder Measures

Has anyone had a chance to use the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar? Is it only for the Lee PRO Auto Disk Powder measure?
The Pro Auto-Disk measure does seem to be leaps and bounds better than the standard Auto-Disk measure that came with the Deluxe Reloading Kit. While I am very new to reloading, I understand the best way to ensure the exact amount of powder makes it to your cartridge is to use a trickler with a very accurate scale.
My overall goal is to more finely tune the amount of powder that goes into the cartridge while still maintaining some form of speed in the process. I’m not looking to shoot with competition level accuracy, but I do want a little more control in the process.
Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions and especially some feedback from you folks who use the Auto-Disk AND/OR the Adjustable Charge bar would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance folks.
Old September 16, 2008, 12:31 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have, and use, the adjustable charge bar.

One thing I found out about it was that it does not like small charges of powder for some reason.

Anything under about 4.5 to 5 grains of powder, of any type, results in pretty wide weight variations.

Once I hit the 5 grain mark, though, it gets really accurate.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 16, 2008, 05:49 AM   #3
ruger.john

I use the charge bar but only for W231, Bullseye and Trail Boss. It meters well and throws accurate charges with these powders. I use the disks for other powders except Unique which won't meter accurately with either. I find that the "pro" measure tends to leak a bit of powder whereas the cheaper one one was cleaner. I switched because the screws holding the hopper wouldn't hold any longer after a few months use.(Lee quality)
Old September 16, 2008, 08:28 AM   #4
wingman

I have the standard auto disk measure but use the micro meter bar instead of disk have had excellent results using aa5 and titegroup but have not dropped below 5.0gr at this point it has been more consistent then my Lyman powder measure and with the charge bar I do not need to remove hopper screws to change disk so "may" eliminate problem with screws holding hopper.
For the money hard to beat. If you buy the kit purchase a charge bar and your good to go, if you use the safety primer you need a riser and another helpful item is the swival adapter to remove hopper from die.
Old September 16, 2008, 04:45 PM   #5
CrustyFN

My experience with the charge bar is the same as Mike Irwin. Even with a good metering powder like Titegroup I had problems with small charges.
Rusty
Old September 16, 2008, 05:00 PM   #6
wingman

I have not seen that with my setup, i did state above my lowest setting was 5.0 but I loaded 4.6 titegroup for some 45acp practice rounds very consistent and with new equipment I check and double check, using two scales. One thing to remember is to be consistent with each stroke of the press.

Here is a good article on the use of Lee turret and powder measure.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm
Old September 17, 2008, 10:01 AM   #7
ForneyRider

I use the auto-disk and double disk setup for the most part with pistol and small rifle. I have the adjustable charge bar, but if you can get close to the charge you want with the single disk, then I recommend that.

Double-disk works with small rifle and gives more options with pistol, but there is more room for error. Varget did okay when I was steady. H110, Power Pistol and W231 do allright. Rarely do I need a very precise amount of W231.

I got the rifle charging die and bracket for the Lee Perfect Powder measure for the Pro 1000. Still trying to figure out how to put the bracket on the press. But that should render very precise measurements of most powders.

Single Auto disk is handy, just you are more limited in choices of powder amounts.

Trickling for 20-50 rounds isn't that bad if you have a Lee dipper set. You get as close as you can with a given dipper, then trickle the last few grains in. A good technique should render 1 charge in 20-30 seconds.
Old September 17, 2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Smaug

My Lee Auto Disc Pro has been very good.

I have not tried anything below 5 gr. with it yet, having used it mostly for Alliant 2400, and Hodgdon HP38 in 357 and 44 Magnum.

I only have one centerfire rifle, a bolt, so I weigh each charge or use the Lee dippers. (which always meter well!)
Old September 17, 2008, 04:59 PM   #9
amamnn

I gave up using mine for small charges (under 4 gr.) too. Then one day it bridged the powder and failed to drop most of a 5 gr. charge. Since then I don't use it at all.