The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2006, 09:57 AM   #1
Mike Bailey

reloading

Another post, sorry. I want to buy a reloading press that will kick out the old primer, resize, load powder then seat bullet in various lever pulls but without having to start unscrewing different bits. It needs to be able to do pistol (.44 mag) and rifle cartridges. I guess it is called a semi auto reloading tool. I know there are big automatic machines for commercial loaders but this is for relatively low output BUT I want the best quality there is. Recommendations please and thanks in advance, Mike Bailey
Old July 13, 2006, 11:08 AM   #2
Wild Bill Bucks

Mike,
Move your post down the the SKUNKWORKS, on the hand loading section
and I'm sure someone can answer your question.
Old July 13, 2006, 11:48 AM   #3
Ifishsum

I believe a turret style press is what you're after. I've never used that style so I can't really comment on quality.
Old July 13, 2006, 11:55 AM   #4
Scorch

Progressive presses, like the Dillon presses and Lee Pro 1000 and Load Master are great for high-volume reloading. I have a Lee Pro 1000 I have ussed for the past 20 years, and I love it. Simple, easy to use. Maybe not the best one, but very functional for pistol cartridges. If you want to load rifle cartridges, the Lee Load Master would work better. There are other presses also.

Avoid the Hornady and RCBS progressives. They are constantly changing model designations and the parts are seldom interchangeable with the older models.
Old July 13, 2006, 06:42 PM   #5
castnblast

Get a Dillion 550. I used a 1050 to reload massive quantities numerous years back, but the 550 should fit the bill fine.
Old July 13, 2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Check out http://dillonprecision.com/default.cfm?

If you go to Google and type in "dillon reloading", not only
this URL comes up, but a bunch of listings of Dillon stuff on EBay.

Art
Old July 13, 2006, 09:33 PM   #7
BigJakeJ1s

Hornady and RCBS also make very good progressive presses.

Andy
Old July 17, 2006, 12:55 AM   #8
JJB2

well... reloading for me is a hobby and a good way to relax and build better ammo than factory stuff.... there fore i use two single stage presses and lee speed dies with two die bodies to make .38 spl and .357 mag loads with my own home cast 150 gr. swc bullets....... have never used a progressive press and i really don't want anything from reloading than what i am doing now....
Old July 17, 2006, 11:42 AM   #9
M1911

You are looking for a progressive press. I strongly recommend Dillon presses. They are expensive, but excellent presses backed up with a incredible service and a no BS warranty (if it breaks, they'll fix it).

I've got a Dillon 550. I can reload about 300 rounds in an hour.
Old July 17, 2006, 02:14 PM   #10
atomictaco

I would reccomend the new Lee Classic Turret Press. It can be used as a single stage or as a semi progressive. IT is reasonably priced and well built.
Old July 17, 2006, 02:33 PM   #11
Mike Bailey

press

I was contemplating a RCBS 2000 PRO after all the info. What is the equivalent Dillon press ? Thanks again, Mike Bailey
Old July 18, 2006, 12:07 AM   #12
amamnn

I have to agree that the Lee classic turret is the best press for the money. I'd feel very comfotable running up handgun or rifle loads on one, and in fact I do. Dillon presses are very good at what they do, and what they do best is kick out mass quantities of standard grade pistol ammo. It's not the blue paint that makes them so expensive; those models in their ads don't work cheap.
Old July 19, 2006, 07:33 PM   #13
BigJakeJ1s

Probably the closest Dillon equivalent to the RCBS Pro 2000 is their 550. Both are manually indexed (you advance the shellplate by hand after every stroke of the handle). The 5 RCBS stations are functionally equivalent to the 4 stations on the 550 since Dillon expands the case mouth on the same station that drops the powder. There are ways to do that on the RCBS with modifications using other brand accessories, which would give you an extra station to run a powder check die in. That would be similar to the Dillon 650, except the 650 auto-indexes and takes an optional case feeder.

You should also check out the Hornady LNL AP press. Like the Dillon 650, it has 5 stations, auto-indexes, and takes an optional casefeeder. It is priced about the same as a 550 however.

Andy