The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 9, 2009, 01:40 PM   #1
chris in va

National park law, need help

Guy on another board posted this after I made light of the new ruling. If someone could analyze what he's saying I'd appreciate it...mainly about the parks choosing to allow it.

Quote:
it won't change much...although the law has been changed, the individual National Park I think is still allowed to set its own policy...which I don't see many of them changing to allow CC even though there is now no federal law banning it, although some might allow it. I think the ones that do allow it will only do so until the rangers have to start responding to "shots fired". I spoke to a ranger about this recently and he was not in favor of the law, cause he said no matter what the case, if there is a shot fired they have to respond in a serious manner...and if they find reds out shooting beer cans at camp sites in the NP's, or target practice, or whatever, it creates a huge problem for the rangers.
Old January 9, 2009, 02:14 PM   #2
kraigwy

I dont know where he is comming from. The new NP rules mean the gun laws of the state where the NP is, determines what you can do in the park.

Example, YellowStone Park is mostly in Wyoming, there for the rules govern the carrying of guns in Yellow Stone come under Wyomings Gun Laws. (Or lack there of).

Wyoming is differant then California, therefore the carrying of firearms in Yellowstone would be differant the Yosimity.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 9, 2009, 05:43 PM   #3
alloy

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=323791

Some reading with a few links. Yes the Rangers in my area are openly against it. The normal hee-haw reasons. Poachers gone wild, trophy hunting from the CC crowd of targets of opportunity like big nutria rats, and pot shots at gypsy moths..all the typical reasons.

California...who knows, to be expected from Cali. Some places under park jurisdiction like the Liberty Bell and National Mall etc will most likely set there own rules.

But in VA and most states...it will be like kraigwy mentioned and follow the individual state's laws for permitted residents.
Old January 9, 2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Bud Helms

L&CR forum is open now ... moving.
Old January 10, 2009, 04:05 AM   #5
chris in va

Now he's fielded another question.

Quote:
I would appreciate any objective data on the extent to which licensed gun carriers obey the law
He cited some guy that shot and killed a ranger over a leash law dispute.