The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 12, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1
willmc33

B West AK47? Need help/info asap.

I have never heard of them until today. I read really mixed reviews of them. I have somebody wanting to trade me a B West AK with 2 magazines and 100 rounds of ammunition for my Smith & Wesson 4566 TSW 45 Tactical. Is this a good trade, good rifle, total junk? All info is greatly appreciated.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Fishbed77

Sorry, I don't have any info on B West AKs, but even bottom-of-the-barrel Century WASRs are going for close to $1000 these days. Does that mean I think they are worth it? No.

Personally, I'd hang onto the Smith & Wesson 4566 TSW 45 Tactical, since they are much tougher to find than a good AK.
Old March 13, 2013, 03:24 PM   #3
halfcocked

If BWest is just the importer, it's good to go. If it's a B-West Manufacture, stay far away. Most weren't heat treated properly and the axis pin holes and trunion holes can become egg shaped over time. I'm not sure what your S&W is worth, but I wouldn't treat the B-West more than a parts kit that'll go bang for awhile. That said, with the costs of kits now-a-days, it still has some value (and with the craze, you could dump it if you needed to).

I had one for awhile that I bought before the 2004 ban ended, just because it was a "preban" but I dumped it after the ban because I don't like to keep guns I don't trust with my life (not that I need to, just a comfort criteria). Mine was misaligned and every other round it jammed - until a little jb weld on the feed ramp re-directed the rounds into the chamber, then it worked 100%. I still considered it a ticking time bomb though.

You could always have it rebuilt on a quality receiver (really the only junk part of it), if it started to fail and if you really wanted it.
Old March 13, 2013, 03:25 PM   #4
CraCZ

Just make sure that it was imported from China and not a reciever put together in Tucson. Back then their rails were not heat treated properly.
Old March 13, 2013, 04:30 PM   #5
willmc33

Yeah it is one that the receiver was made in the U.S. it is one of the first runs because the serial number prefix is BWA (According to the guy with it). My TSW is worth around $800.00 as it sits.
Old March 15, 2013, 06:22 AM   #6
jehu

Run away from it!!