The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2012, 01:30 PM   #1
jproaster

Reloading outdoors?

As a result of a sweet deal on a new 550b, I am a budding reloader. THe problem is that I have no indoor spot to reload at my house.

So, can I build something in my carport? I was thinking about building a cabinet out of cabinet grade plywood with double doors and fold down
table-top.

I live in SE Tennessee. So yes it's humid here.

THoughts anyone?

I do have a small shed out back, but it has no access to electricity and it's kinda full of stuff.

john
Old March 12, 2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Jerry45

The only problem I can see is checking powder weight. It’s kind of hard to check if there is any air movement what so ever. I live in SE Louisiana between the lake and the Gulf so your humidity can’t be any worse than ours. I reload in my garage/shop. It’s not climate controlled and I’ve never had any problems with my 550 or any loading components. I do have to close the door to check powder weight when it’s breezy. Luckily once set the powder thrower on the 550 is pretty darn consistent.
Old March 12, 2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Reloading outdoors?

Quote:
I do have a small shed out back,
Well, than build another little shed for your reloading equipment. Simple easy reasonable cost project. If you rent? ask for your landlord for his permission first. Plus your reloading shed falls under motto: Out of sight out of mind concerning your neighbors curiosity. Car port? I'm not so sure?
Quote:
g.willikers: For many years I reloaded in the kitchen.
Yes Sir I sure can relate to that experiance!! But I did my reloading on the kitchen table. We probably ate my lost primers? at one time or another? "Boy!! them were the days." lol

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 13, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old March 12, 2012, 04:14 PM   #4
howlnmad

I agree with Jerry. Make box that your scale will fit in to block wind. I'd keep my primers and powder inside tho. Keep stuff well lubed to avoid a rust film.
Old March 12, 2012, 04:15 PM   #5
dmazur

Quote:
THe problem is that I have no indoor spot to reload at my house.
I saw a very nice reloading setup in a linen closet. The lower shelves had been replaced by a bench, of sorts, and the upper shelves held the reloading supplies.

It looked very functional, as long as you didn't wonder what the wife said about losing the linen closet...

This concept has the advantage of being able to be secured against "underaged actors" (aka children) just by changing the doorknob to an exterior type.

The stuff isn't smelly or dangerous, so I can't imagine a valid objection.

However, if you drop primers into the carpet and let her discover that, rarely, certain types of vacuum cleaners can set one off, she might banish you to the carport again. So don't do that...
Old March 12, 2012, 05:54 PM   #6
kraigwy

When I first moved to Alaska, (spring of '72) I was working on the railroad out of Healy, north of McKinley Park.

There wasn't anyplace to live but the hotel so I squated on on railroad land and built a little 12X18 cabin about 3 miles north of Healy.

Anyway I didn't have room to reload in the cabin so I mounted my RCBS Jr on a stump outside the cabin. I made some dern good reloads on that press.

Nothing wrong with reloading outside. Just hold off when its raining.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 12, 2012, 06:12 PM   #7
jproaster

Thanks for the varied responses guys. I think that I'll sketch out something and create a wind break too.

john

*I had to smile about the primer in the vacuum; my wife would kill me if her mother's electrolux took that hit; let's just say that more than the reloading gear would be banished to the carport
Old March 12, 2012, 06:54 PM   #8
LakeCruiser

Outside?

Well, I'm not so sure that the nasty humid air of summer wouldn't rust the works???
I set up in a closet in a spare bedroom...I just close the doors when I need to use the room, otherwise it is my reloading room.

Here's a couple pics:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...6&d=1331120906

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...7&d=1331120906
Old March 12, 2012, 07:31 PM   #9
MOshooter65202

As others have said keep your reloading equip. oiled to prevent rust,keep the primers and powders inside. from the humidity.
Old March 13, 2012, 02:18 AM   #10
Lost Sheep

Take a page from dmazur's book (and mine) and load in the house.

My entire loading setup fits in three medium size (largest is about 20" long) toolboxes. I mount the press on a 2x8 board and clamp it into a folding workbench.

You can spread a dropcloth in your living room or day room, set the scale on the coffeetable and mount the press on a folding workbench or belted to an end table (padded, of course).

If you have a tumbler for cleaning your brass, of course the dust would require that to be outside, but most of the careful work can easily be done inside.

Wind, humidity, temperature control, comfort all suggest inside if you can possibly manage it. The dropcloth is the key to gaining acceptance. Cloth is better than plastic. Less static (sparks are not the problem, static repulsion scattering spilled powder is, dropped primers tend to roll around less and cloth is quieter.

Good luck,

Lost Sheep
Old March 13, 2012, 04:40 AM   #11
GTOne

I would give a long hard think about finding a spot to reload and store your stuff inside. You'd be surprised at how little space you can get by with.

I would look through reloading bench threads for ideas.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=218720
Old March 13, 2012, 06:50 AM   #12
Don P

Here is a possible solution to your problem,
http://fsreloading.com/lee-load-stand-90688.html
You could use it in the comfort of your living room

http://leeprecision.com/lee-reloading-stand.html
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 13, 2012, 09:26 AM   #13
g.willikers

For many years I reloaded in the kitchen.
The press, attached to a piece of sturdy wood, was c-clamped to the kitchen counter.
Everything stored in a small foot locker.
Easy to set up and take down.
Much better than the cold/hot garage or in the damp basement.
A primer that rolled into the sink, and down the disposal, proved entertaining.
At least to one of us.
Old March 13, 2012, 07:44 PM   #14
Edward429451

There was a few years there where I had to mount my press on a apt size table and it barely fit into a closet and let us close the door on it. I'd pull it out on the weekends and set it up in front of the TV in the living room.

If she's pushing you outside, you stopped rubbing her feet.
Old March 13, 2012, 08:15 PM   #15
oneounceload

Besides the weather/humidity aspect, there is also the theft aspect for your stuff being stored in a carport you might want to consider
Old March 26, 2012, 09:19 PM   #16
jproaster

Stubborn man that I am. If I ever learn to post pics, I will show you guys my setup. Yep, it's in the carport.

I'm almost ready; just started picking up all that brass at the range.

j