The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 30, 2007, 10:22 AM   #1
870pilot

of kitty litter and lee's zip-trim?

During a routine cleaning and refilling of the cat's litter box compounded by my inability to find any Lizard Litter at Wallyworld, i pondered... has anyone ever used cat littler as a tumbling media?

And for those who reload rifle, has anyone given the Lee Zip Trim a try? The whole lawnmower pull cord contraption looks viable.

Thanks, as a new reloader I am now on page 45 of this forums archives and I've soaked up a LOT of information
Old May 30, 2007, 10:43 AM   #2
30Cal

Haven't tried the zip trimmer, but I do know that the Lee tools will fit into a standard 1/2" chuck (cordless drill or drill press). Go power or don't go at all.

Ty
Old May 30, 2007, 01:12 PM   #3
870pilot

i was looking at my drill press with a smile... the lee brochure makes it look interesting tho...
Old May 30, 2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Shoney

I tried cat litter once. It left a dusty , gritty residue on the cases and in the tumbler. I had to rinse the tumbler and cases several times in water to get rid of the grit, then let them dry for a long time.

It is not worth the extra time and effort.

Try feed stores, or pet stores for the ground walnut and corn cob. I got them in the 50# sacks for a very low price.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 30, 2007, 02:03 PM   #5
Jseime

If you are going to buy a case trimmer buy a Lyman or bust. I love mine.
Old May 30, 2007, 10:35 PM   #6
fourrobert13

I use the Lee trimmer in my cordless drill and I hate it, but it's all I have right now. The wife won't let me upgrade, but couldn't imagine pulling that cord 3 or 4 times to trim a case. When I am aloud, I am going to get the Lyman.
Old May 31, 2007, 09:48 AM   #7
Smokey Joe

Kitties and Zips

870Pilot--Kitty litter as tumbler medium has been cussed and discussed at length. The consensus is that it is dusty--VERY, and not all that good at cleaning cases, therefore don't use it.

Kitty litter is basically clay. Clay is basically very very tiny rocks. I imagine it would polish brass up really nicely, given enough tumbler time. But we're talking days and days of time here, when corncob or walnut medium does the same thing in hours. And as has been pointed out, there is considerable cleanup involved with the use of kitty litter.

I own and use a Lee Zip Trim. Takes 2-3 string pulls to trim a case. It goes quick. Bought the universal shell holder with it to avoid having to switch shell holders. Frankly I find the Lee system to be fast, convenient, and effective. The cutter guide--which you do have to buy for each cartridge--trims the cases to a conservative length, usually close to the minimum. You don't get a choice on this length, but what you want is uniformity in case trimming and the Zip-Trim certainly delivers on that.

I would use the Zip Trim for chamfering in & out, too, but I have a Lyman Power Deburr Accessory Set which works in a power screwdriver, that suits me very well.

So, as they say, "Ask the man that owns one." I'm happy with my Zip Trim.

--Smokey Joe
Old May 31, 2007, 10:21 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

I've never own the zip trim, but people with them on other forums have also been positive about them. Surprises me, since I would have thought it was extra work. I use the Wilson tools available from Sinclair and Bruno, because they're designed so alignment is dead perfect and cut dead square to the case axis without chatter.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 31, 2007, 12:42 PM   #9
870pilot

thanks all!

i'll leave the cat litter behind and go lizard litter or some kind of pet stuff besides cats

and thanks smoky for the reply... i really like reading reviews from the folks who have stuff on their bench, not just an "i heard"

appreciate it!
Old May 31, 2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Smokey Joe

Lizard litter and 90 degrees.

870Pilot--Re: Corncob Lizard litter--Apparently sometimes it comes in two different sizes--BE SURE you get the smaller size. There have been reports of the larger size getting stuck inside primer pockets and inside cases, causing clean-out problems. The 2 sizes are 1/4" and 1/8"; the 1/8" is what you want.

BTW, the nature of the Lee cutter is such that it has to cut perpendicular to the case neck--It centers with a pin in the primer flash hole, and runs up through the neck with a caliber-sized mandrel to the cutter. so yr case mouth is automatically squared as it is trimmed.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; May 31, 2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old May 31, 2007, 01:05 PM   #11
870pilot

smoke...

there's gotta be something better than the media shipped with my new cabelas vibe kit... this is much smaller than 1/8 and it did just an okay job even with the included cabelas media additive... of course some of the .45 brass was range pick up from last summer and they were really black... at least now they are clean, but far from shined up
Old May 31, 2007, 05:43 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

870 Pilot,

You can buy 50 lb bags of corncob blasting medium for around $20 from a blasting supply house. It comes in 4 standard grades, actually, including stuff finer than we usually use for cleaning brass. I find Lyman's green polish impregnated stuff works well. Buy or borrow a small quantity and use it to gauge what size grit to buy at the blasting supply house.

Smokey Joe,

If I had a nickel for every off-center flashhole I've seen drilled in a Lake City case, I'd retire early.

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 31, 2007, 11:08 PM   #13
Smokey Joe

Alternatives

870Pilot--There are 3 things you could do w/those clean-but-not-shiny cases:

1. Leave 'em in the tumbler longer. Really stubborn cruddy cases can take longer. But if you already have more than 3-4 hours tumbler time on these, you've probably gone about as far as you can go with that medium.

2. Try the alternate medium, which is ground walnut shells. This is a harder material, and may be able to cut through whaterver is keeping yr cases dull. Walnut is also available from pet stores as lizard litter, like corncob. However, no one has reported more than one size of walnut.

3. If the cases are clean that's all you really need. You can load and fire dull, clean, cases just fine. Neither the cases nor the gun care if the cases aren't shiny as long as they are clean. Shiny is a purely esthetic consideration.

Another thought--we aren't talking about the insides of the cases here, are we? Those are almost impossible to make shiny--clean on the inside is all you want. The outside is where some reloaders prefer shiny.

--Smokey Joe
Old June 1, 2007, 07:28 AM   #14
870pilot

smokey and all...

i'm going to invest in a bag of walnut when i get over to a petco... yeah, the cases are now clean, but still, not shiny on the outside, and i can deal with that, my guns don't mind but i just bought a bunch of once fired, and those grungy ones stand out like the red headed step children. i can deal with that. i've done some reading on "flitz" additive and i may add that to the shopping list someday.