The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 14, 2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Dingo Steelwell

Ruger LC9 point of aim

I just got a brand new Ruger LC9, I was told at the gun shop that it had a 200 round "break in"
went to a local range and put 200 rounds through it, and it seems that it fires low, have I been doing this wrong for years? I thought the three dots were supposed to line up and it gave you the point of aim at the front sight... the gun is brand new and was test fired at the factory (or at least fired, they gave me a shell casing)
it does not seem that there is any way to adjust these sights, I got a bit of what I wanted by just aiming high, but I would like for it to be fixed to the way that I "think" it should aim...
Old November 14, 2012, 02:37 PM   #2
9mm

I shot low with mine too, but then I sold it because of those internal safeys.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:48 PM   #3
SIMP

I have the Ruger LCP and it seems dead on with iron sights. I do plan on adding a laser at some point just to have one.
Old November 14, 2012, 04:24 PM   #4
dahinnant

Truly

I owned an lc9 for 9 months and it shot with target zero (bullet hit behind front dot). I don't like my pistols set up that way. I prefer tactical zero, POI just a over front sight as it seems this is what you are accustomed to. I bought the gun from a buddy, sold it to another friend, and he recently sold it as well. The gun is not a range gun. The trigger did finally "break in" and if you let the bang surprise you I promise the bullet will go exactly where you point it. I liked it for carry but had to send it on down the road. Good luck to you.
Old November 14, 2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Jimtl

It does have a difficult trigger, but it does seem to smooth out with use.

My LC9 is very accurate when I shoot it slow fire ... Double taps ... Well I'm working on that. Also, 900+ rounds w/o a problem.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:44 PM   #6
jmfc606

I would try some differnt ammo. Different bullet weights will all shoot differently. Try some 115 gr, 124 gr, 147gr, etc. I'm sure you'll find some your gun likes. Also were you shooting target ammo? Try the ammo you want to carry in it for defensive purposes and see where that prints. I have an LC9 that shoots 124gr federal hydrashocks right where I'm aiming.
Old November 14, 2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Crow Hunter

Shooting free hand or from a rest?

It might be you.

Are you anticipating recoil any?

Mix in some dummy rounds with your live rounds and try it then. You may find you are anticipating recoil a little and dipping the gun slightly before it goes off.

If you don't have any snap caps, try the dime drill. Put a dime flat on your front sight like forming at "T". Dryfire and make sure you are keeping the dime from falling off the front sight. If you can shoot it like that with live ammo and it is still printing below point of aim, then you can try some mechanical/ammo changes.

Personally, anytime a gun doesn't shoot to where I think it should, I assume it is the shooter. (ME) I have been right about that almost every time.

Good luck.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:42 PM   #8
justsoIcanupvotethis

I agree with jmfc606 about trying different ammo. My LC9 seems to shoot low with 115 and point of aim with 124 and seems to me to shoot at 6 oclock with 147 grain HPs.
Old November 15, 2012, 01:07 AM   #9
Theohazard

The LC9 has a very long trigger and a very long reset with a false reset along the way. This can cause many people to slap the trigger and be consistently off- target. It's still very possible the problem is the gun and not you, but I'd have someone else shoot it and see if they have the same result.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Pasquanel

I have owned my LC9 for a year and a half now and in the beginning had the same issue. It turned out it was my fault I have always been a single action guy and I was anticipating the gun going off and I am not recoil shy! So I mounted one of Laserlytes side mounted lasers and co-witnessed both and then just concentrating on the laser I was hitting dead on! Once I realized it was me and not the gun mastering it was easy.
Old November 22, 2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Dingo Steelwell

I had a friend of mine with me for the 200 rnd break in and it seemed to shoot off a bit for him as well (however he does not shoot very often)
I will have to try this "dime test" I do have snap caps, that sounds like it may help...
I have no laser, but have considered it...