The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 26, 2011, 11:04 PM   #1
JGC

Hog Hunt-Help choosing setup needed.

I know this topic has been covered before but i have a few questions,
i have an ar-15 with a 1.5x6 and a 10x mildot scope, i have no issues placing 5 shots inside 2 inches at 200 yards and honestly my 3 shot groups are less than a inch(learned to shoot in the military), i also have an ak iron sights, so my question is,

i will be hog hunting for the first time with a friend in florida, we live here, i hear alot of talk about how a 223/5.56 round isnt enough, i shoot m855 62gr green tip xtac penetrator rounds out of my ar(5.56 barrel),
so.. if i were to shoot one in the head or heart will it suffice? note: i will also have my 357 on my hip and 12 gauge on my side in case its needed, i hear they charge at you...

i find it hard to believe the steel penatration rnds will not drop a hog if shot in the head or heart but like i said iam new to this,

all help will be appreciated and i will soon purchase a designated high caliber setup for further hunts, until then i have my AR, 12 gauge, and 357. also i have an ak 7.62x39 with iron sights but isnt nearly as accurate as my ar and if i have to place a one shot kill scoped i choose my ar.
thanks for any feedback. ammo recommendations..
and remember guys back in the day spears and bows are still being used, and i have no problem charging back at him with my knife if needed. sorry soldier thing.lol.
once again thank you all.

Last edited by JGC; December 26, 2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old December 26, 2011, 11:13 PM   #2
seansean1444

the ar with i am assuming 10 shots or more will easily do the trick
Old December 27, 2011, 05:18 AM   #3
The Kill Dozer

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. If you can hit a pig (or anything for that matter just about) in it's vitals/head you should drop it. But remember pigs have very thick sholders, so your rifle might struggle to get through it... A little behing its sholder and you'll be eating bacon in no time!
Old December 27, 2011, 09:06 AM   #4
rickyrick

I take pigs at a rate averaging a few a week most often with .223. That being said, the range is never beyond 100yds with the average of 25yd.

I guess that I have a thoroughfare in my area and most of the time I am just waiting for them to cross my path as I wait in a dark spot.

I would suggest using expanding ammo meant for hunting and not the penetrating military type ammo.

I have a controversial bullet choice that is very effective in my specific situation, but I won't mention it here.
Old December 27, 2011, 09:55 AM   #5
BigBadPigg

I would prefer something more powerful then .223 for hogs. But if your going to use that I would use some type of heavy hunting soft point and only take head shots. I have a friend who uses an ar15 to hunt hogs but he dosent care if they run somewhere else to die. Me personally, I use a .308 or 30-06
Old December 27, 2011, 10:41 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

5 round mag limit in fla for semi auto rifles.

Brent
Old December 27, 2011, 11:12 AM   #7
warbirdlover

Make sure that round you're using is legal for hunting. In Wisconsin you have to use expanding bullets and absolutely no solids or armor piercing etc. In the DNR deer hunting booklet it says:

It is illegal to:

* hunt deer with ammunition loaded with non-expanding type bullets.
Old December 27, 2011, 03:13 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes Fla also requires "expanding" bullet types.

Brent
Old December 27, 2011, 07:39 PM   #9
JGC

thanks for all the info, yes i have a 5 rnd mag that i will be using, iam a bit confused with distance, i see alot of open areas and see the possibility of a 100 to 200 yard shot, i would def stay inside that 200yard range for headshots and i know what your thinking but believe me i can take that kind of shot,
i wouldnt go past that for variable reasons including wind which 223 past that range could start to show issues especially being hogs that could attack, but like i said i have a 12ga i will carry on my side along with my 357 for that situation, hope it dosent happen.i am def looking to stay inside 100yards if possible to limit variables and chance of slow death due to a poor shot, i want to be as humane as possible.

ive tried hornady superformance 53 and 55gr and they group amazingly, not to mention speed,
any feedback would be great on which ammo,
dpms 16inch chromelined 1:9 twist 5.56 barrel, bipod, 1.5x6 i think is the glass iam going to stick with for the hunt,
iam guessing 60gr sphp will prove sufficient.

feedback on the glass will also be appreciated, i have a ss10x mil-dot also on hand that has proven itself many times but i think its overkill, i keep hearing these hog hunts are almost always inside 150 to 200 yards at the most, iam 100%comfterble on headshots at that range..

also any spots, so far we are looking into wma's,or private property i hear farmers have issues with these pigs. if you know any i will be more than glad to clean up, after the military i started collecting some firearms and i dont mind putting them to use for food or to help a farmer if needed.

my buddy will be carrying his 30-06 i talked him into buying it as a all around suitable cartridge and being teaching him how to shoot correctly, if its a big one thats the one we will def use.
thanks again guys,
Old December 27, 2011, 07:42 PM   #10
JGC

and if penetration is the issue hell iam sure my m855's will go thru right? but wait they arent legal in florida?? if they can penetrate steel i dont see how that hog could withstand one to the head at the right angle that is, or heart/lungs.
Old December 27, 2011, 07:50 PM   #11
JGC

mr brent, is the non expanding bullet law just for deer or those it also apply to hogs?
Old December 27, 2011, 08:08 PM   #12
BigBadPigg

i have no doubt that a steel cored bullet would go through both sides of a hog head and or heart/lungs. I'm just saying that a controlled expanding bullet would perform better because it would deliver most of its energy in the animal while causing a massive wound channel.

where as a steel cored fmj type bullet would most likely pencil through the animal without transfering its energy. which is why a head shot would be the best shot for that type of round.

: there is a reason its illegal to hunt with in some states
Old December 27, 2011, 08:26 PM   #13
JGC

mrbig any ammo recommendations in 223? iam leaning towards hornady..
Old December 27, 2011, 08:40 PM   #14
BigBadPigg

.223 ammo

like i said i don't hunt with a .223 but if i were to hunt with that bullet i would want at least something in the 60-75 grain weight. and would retain its weight while penetrating deeply. soo, nosler partions and nosler accubonds come to mind. if your looking at hornady i would think the gmx bullets would do good!

as a side note: i would stay away from varmint bullets such has hornadys v-max, that are designed to rapidly expand and fragment as you will not get good penetration on big hogs.

other then those i would think a heavy remington corelokt or other factory soft point would work

Last edited by BigBadPigg; December 27, 2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old December 27, 2011, 08:52 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am not real sure but if I were even on private land but during a centerfire game season, I would honor the game animal gun/ammo/method of take even if hog shooting don't follow those laws...

myfwc.com is your source. If you strike out searching the site... call Tally or your regional office and immediately get the phone answerer person to put you through to "thee high ranking enforcement agent"... Ask them these questions and they will likely be able to cite the statute number to back their answer.

That is what I do... I call no less than a dozen times a year to clear up any "gray area" I come across.

Brent
Old December 27, 2011, 09:02 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

What WMA's are you lookin' at thus far? What region of this very long state are you considering?

Brent
Old December 27, 2011, 09:20 PM   #17
JGC

sw florida, ftmyers, lee county, il drive anywhere really, last time we drove up to the fl georgia border. but i would like to stick close to sw florida areas.babcock was one i was considering.

Tags
223 , 5.56 , ar-15 , florida , hogs