The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Sevens

Share your .327 Federal Mag load data

In most cartridges, load data is e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. From the powder distributor to the bullet companies to the manuals from the reloading tools companies to the fan websites, etc etc. There are many place to peruse both published and lab-tested load data and also experimental data from enthusiasts.

But... we aren't talking .38 Special here, where the chambering has been around for 100+ years.

We are talking [u].327 Federal Magnum[/b], where only ATK makes brass. ATK's (Alliant's) load data is very slim, offering only a couple of quick nuggets and always only for Gold Dot bullets. Hodgdon offers more, which is nice.

Most of the published manuals don't have squat. Lyman 49 has zilch. I haven't seen the newest Speer Manual, but the last one I looked at (#13, I think?) had nothing.

There is a lot of trial and error going on with this round and getting ideas from other handloaders seems to make the most sense until we can (hopefully!) make the cartridge popular enough to drag along some of the industries' testers.

So please, if you handload the .327 Federal Magnum, add some of the loads that you've been working with and obviously, add any comments or things you've noticed. Hopefully we get a few folks putting up some concoctions and sharing some ideas here.

IMO, this thread is long, long overdue.
Old June 16, 2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Sevens

When I started loading for .327 Federal, I happened to have one single box of 100 grain Hornady XTP's. I got them a year or two prior to the Barackolypse.

When Obama was elected in November of '08, all things gun went flying off the shelves. Ammo was next... reloading supplies followed. All the .312" jacketed slugs went with them. Thing is -- it's not a popular component, so when the existing supply of them dried up, they were *gone*, seemingly never to return. Because when the bullet makers tooled up a line to make a product, that product was going to be 9mm, .40 and .45, and MAYBE some .38/.357. Oddball stuff like .312" was put so far back on the back burner that it was basically 100% forgotten. So when the stock dwindled, FORGET about it. No bullets.

Where I ended up was with those tiny little .32 cal round nose bullets built specifically for the .32 Auto. 71 grain. I had Berry's plated and I stumbled in to a large lot of Winchester bulk 71gr FMJ. So for plinking ammo in .327 Federal Mag, that's where I started.

First up were the plated bullets. I never pushed these very hard. Berry's suggests staying under 1,200 FPS and the .327 can push a heavier 85 grain slug to a helluva speed. So I grabbed a fast burning powder and went with:

71gr Berry's Pl-RN, 4.6 grains Bullseye, 1.481" COAL
Sorry, no chrono. (yes, I know ) Did fool with them a bit in QuickLoad and best estimate is around 1,100 FPS with a 90% burn and maybe 15,000 PSI. I didn't start at 4.6 grains, but that's where I stopped... and the only reason I stopped is because I ended up getting a good deal on a 2,000 piece lot of the true FMJ bullets and not plated.

QuickLoad also gave us estimates for Titegroup at 1,100 FPS (4.3 grains, 16,500 PSI) but I elected to not try that load because I'm not a big fan of Titegroup.

So when I got the Winchester FMJ's, I loaded some of them at 4.6 grains of Bullseye with the same COAL, then I advanced it a bit. Little by little, I worked my way to:
71gr Win FMJ, 6.0 grains Bullseye, 1.481" COAL
Never saw signs of excessive pressure, but please know that I have no way of knowing either my FPS or my pressure on these loads. Completely experimental... reading nothing other than feel, extraction, primer and fired cartridge case from a Ruger SP-101 with 3-inch barrel. They felt and seemed completely safe at this charge.

I still have a bunch of these 71 gr FMJs, so I'm still looking for ideas, and would love to hear anyone else's experiements. Or if Peetzakilla has some spare time and he's reading, I'd love to hear some more QuickLoad estimates with this, or any bullet in .327 Federal, with any powder.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:00 AM   #3
philbo

Hodgdon's has assembled a decent list of loads for the 327 from which I started:
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Speer has an update available online for the 327 using their 115 Gold Dot:
http://www.speer-bullets.com/whatsne...ding_data.aspx

I've been using Hodgdon's data to work up both the 85 & 100 XTP loads. For plinking I'm using 32 H&R brass and data.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Sevens

Yep, and using both of those sites helped me to get started with 85 and 100 grain Hornady XTP slugs.

And I finally did come in to more of these little jacketed bits of goodness... from a heckuva guy in our own forum here, poster Rusty W who found a bunch of them in one of his local shops. Rusty was cool enough to pick them up for me and ship 'em to me so I could load 'em with proper bullets. Thanks again, Rusty!

I started conservatively with one of my favorite powders, Alliant 2400.
85gr Hornady XTP, 11.2 grains 2400, loaded to cannelure

I worked up to:
85gr Hornady XTP, 12.0 grains 2400, loaded to cannelure
Once again... no chrono data... didn't have QuickLoad estimates for these either. Pretty much winging it. No signs of excess pressure.

I had some other published data, but I haven't gotten to trying it yet. Here it is:
85gr jacketed, 9.4gr AA#7 for 1,503 FPS
85gr jacketed, 10.4gr AA#7 for 1,670 FPS -- 44,020 PSI, 1.443" COAL
Both of these loads are published, from Accurate's v3.5 guide
Old June 16, 2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Sevens

Next I need to work with the 100 grain Hornady XTP.

I've really made nothing, but have some ideas with load data.
Alliant gives an 11.0 grain max for 2400 with their 115 grain Gold Dot... so that would be a safe start with a 100 grain XTP.

REALGUNS.COM did some load development and came up with 2400 data also.
Their max with the 100gr Hornady XTP was 11.5 grains 2400 and 1,405 FPS.

They also list data for Ramshot Enforcer and Hodgdon Lil' Gun, but neither reach the same velocity. You can see here at:
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar173.htm

Also please NOTE two things regarding that table of data on REALGUNS: First is that they did some testing with the 60 grain XTP bullet, but everyone pretty much agrees that the 60 grainer is a true .32 Auto bullet and even Hornady does not recommend you push that slug to these ridiculous velocities. When I contacted Ben at ATK, he said that possible forcing cone damage could result from pushing inappropriate bullets to way-too-fast speeds. I'm not interesting in loading those expensive, improper slugs... but you might be, so please keep that in mind.

The other thing that I want to mention about the table on REALGUNS is that they used CCI-500 small pistol primers in their load development, but again, ATK/Federal has since revealed that all of their factory ammo is loaded with CCI-400 small rifle (non-magnum) primers. I make all my handloads with these same CCI-400 primers and I think it's a good idea to do exactly that. YMMV.

Also available for the 100gr XTP is data from Accurate.
100gr XTP, 8.5gr AA#7, 1,355 FPS
100gr XTP, 9.4gr AA#7, 1,505 FPS ---43,080 PSI, 1.440" COAL

And they list data for AA#9, too, which I forgot to mention for the 85 grain XTP that I posted about above.
100gr XTP, 11.7gr AA#9, 1,417 FPS
100gr XTP, 13.0gr AA#9, 1,574 FPS ---36,950 PSI, 1.440" COAL
Looks like a terrific powder to use for this round.

The Accurate guide also lists load data for the 90gr Sierra Sport Master JHC and for cast lead bullets, too. Check out their load data at:
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...d_data_3.5.pdf

So... whaddya you guys got?!
Old June 16, 2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Sevens

This load data came from the Shooting Times (magazine) website.
It was formerly hosted at this link:
http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunit...02/index2.html
That link now auto-redirects to a new site that doesn't appear to have a search area. Those with stronger Google-Fu may be able to recapture the magic of the original table... but in the mean time, here is what I have in my records.

Many apologies for the crappy format:

Speer 60-gr. Gold Dot Unique 10 CCI 500 1900
Speer 60-gr. Gold Dot WAP 10.8 CCI 500 2063
Magtech 71-gr. JHP W540 9.7 CCI 500 1774
Federal 85-gr. HydShok SR4756 7.4* Fed. 100 1524
Federal 85-gr. HydShok W540 9.1 Fed. 100 1585
Sierra 90-gr. JHC AA #7 10.2 Fed. 205 1568
Sierra 90-gr. JHC VV 3N37 8.8 CCI 500 1600
Hornady 100-gr. XTP HS 6 8.4 CCI 500 1471
Hornady 100-gr. XTP VV N350 8.9 CCI 500 1598
Speer 100-gr. JHP VV N350 8.9 Fed. 205 1582
Speer 100-gr. Uni-Cor HS 7 9.5 CCI 500 1517
Speer 100-gr. Uni-Cor Lil'Gun 14 CCI 500 1268
Speer 115-gr. Gold Dot AA #9 12.8 WS P 1556
Magnus 116-gr. RN-FP 700-X 4.1 Fed. 205 1167
Magnus 116-gr. RN-FP HP 38 4.5 Fed. 205 1168
Magnus 116-gr. RN-FP PB 4.3 Fed. 205 1147
Magnus 116-gr. RN-FP SR4756 5 Fed. 205 1183
Magnus 116-gr. RN-FP Titegroup 4.1 Fed. 205 1188
Magnus 116-gr. RN-FP Trail Boss 4 Fed. 205 833
Magnus 116-gr. RN-FP W231 4.5 Fed. 205 1175

This is nothing I've ever used or tested, so please have your head screwed on properly when you use this load data.
Also, no idea where Shooting Times got a hold of 85 grain Hydra-Shok component bullets unless they pulled it from factory ammo or they've got an inside man at ATK who supplied them with 'em.
Old June 16, 2011, 10:40 AM   #7
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I have experimented with a lot of bullets and a lot of powders.
I have completely ignored load books and worked up from scratch.
I have been working with 100 year old Colt Police Positive 32 S&W long revolvers, but my favorite loads should work just as well in a 327Fed.
They do tend to blow out the forcing cone on antiques. If the barrel is immediately pulled, welded, and re cut to the thicker, the loads then work long term. If the revolver is shot with a distorted forcing cone, the timing can get screwed up.

6.5 gr 800X 85 gr Hornady, 1.29", easy out
13 gr LIL'GUN 85 gr HNDY, 1.29", easy out, case full,
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 16, 2011, 11:34 AM   #8
full case load

I agree, this thread is needed, thanks for starting it. My current practice load for SP101; Fed./Speer case, 12.5 gr Accurate No.9, Fed. No.209 (small rifle primer), 100 gr Rainier plated HP, homemade cannelure for overall cartridge length of 1.440. Shot about 300 rounds of this load and have had no cracking/peeling problems with the plating on this bullet, yet. Hope I don't as it's price keeps cost per round lower. Pressures seem ok by the way they feel, look (case/primer/extraction), and group (offhand). Not yet been able to chronograph the load but wish to when I run across a place that I can set everything up. Still got 115 gr Gold Dots on back order since Oct. of last year. Am going to get a few boxes of 100 gr XTPs to play with, too.
Old June 17, 2011, 03:14 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

I haven't had a large number of successful loads for the .327 Federal. Overall, I'd have to say I've had more failures, than successes. ...But I'm really picky. Most of my "bad" loads would probably be perfectly acceptable to most shooters.

I got started with some 71 gr FMJs, like most of us. Shortly thereafter, I ran into a good deal on 2,000 Mesiter 115 gr LRNFPs, and 1,000 94 gr LRNFPs (or vice versa). They held me over, until I tracked down some Gold Dots and XTPs. (I've had Sierra 90 gr JHCs on back order for more than a year, with no delivery anticipated any time soon.)

I'll start with the "good", and finish with the "bad".

.327 Federal
FC Brass
71 gr Magtech FMJ (.311")
6.0 gr Titegroup
Fed 100 primer (SP)
1.505" OAL
---- It's a hot load for the SP primers, but should be under 1,200 fps. I can't remember the actual chronograph results, but they were not screamin' hot. I would recommend backing off at least half a grain, for your own max load. It was fairly accurate, but I won't load it any more. I have no desire to damage my forcing cone.
Overall rating: Last-Ditch Plinking Load, when you can't get other components. It's not worth the trouble, as a standard load.

.327 Federal
FC Brass / FC Nickel
115 gr Meister LRNFP (Lead Round Nose Flat Point)
5.0 gr HP-38
CCI 550 primer (SP Magnum)
1.462" OAL
---- Light load. The magnum primer may not be necessary, but the load started with brass already primed with the CCI 550s. So, I stuck with it.
Overall rating: Great for small game, plinking, and targets.

.327 Federal
FC Nickel
100 gr Hornady XTP
12.9 gr H110
CBC 7.5 primer (Magtech SR)
1.450" OAL
---- Hot load. No chrono testing, yet.

.327 Federal
FC Nickel
90 gr Hornady HBWC
3.1 gr Unique
CCI 500 primer (SP)
1.122" OAL (almost flush)
---- Light load. Accurate (for me). Not chrono tested, yet. Velocity could be anywhere betwee 600-800 fps. I actually push this harder in .32 H&R brass, than .327 brass.
Overall Rating: Great target and light small game load.

I have a lot more 85 gr XTP, 100 gr XTP, 100(?) gr Gold Dot, and 115 gr Meister LRNFP loads in the works, but they haven't been thoroughly tested, yet (if at all). I've been spending most of my time with .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R.

The "bad":

.327 Federal
FC Brass
71 gr Magtech FMJ
Various charge weights of Trail Boss (I have 6.0 gr written in my notes, as my max, but I think that's greater than the case capacity; and I know I didn't compress it.)
Multiple primers tried (Fed SP, CCI SP, CCI SPM)
Pressure signs were incredible... but unpredictable.
The Trail Boss did really funky things in these test loads.
-- Not recommended, with any charge weight.

.327 Federal
FC Nickel
85 gr Hornady XTP
100 gr Hornady XTP
True Blue powder
I won't even bother listing other data. These loads were causing primer flow and difficult extraction with starting loads (Blackhawk and SP101).
-- True Blue is NOT recommended. (Use H110/W296 )

The rest of the "bad" loads were just me being picky about velocity or accuracy. If I have the motivation, I may dig through my notes, and post them here later.
Old June 20, 2011, 07:43 AM   #10
Sevens

Just spotted this in a conversation on the Ruger discussion forum.
It was posted back on Feb 26 of this year:
Quote:
I got an email from Starline several days ago and they said they ARE going to produce 327 Federal brass but not sure right now when it will fit in their production schedule.
I've contacted Starline twice (though not recently) and was told there were no plans to produce it. Perhaps they are finally getting some of their production caught up and can again at least look at other products.

The same poster said about a month previous:
Quote:
Federal said it would be March before they would have this brass in stock.
So nothing earth shattering here, but it's at least a hint that perhaps some things are moving, however s-l-o-w-l-y on the area of .327 Federal brass.
Old June 29, 2011, 09:43 AM   #11
full case load

Bump. Come on now, there's got to be more than 5 of us reloading this cartridge. (Just to stir the pot a little, I'm still looking for a Blue Dot load in 327, 100/115 gr bullets.)
Old July 27, 2011, 06:49 PM   #12
Colorado Redneck

Load with Blue Dot and 100 gr bullets

I know the Alliant load data doesn't have anything about 100 gr. bullets for 327 Fed Mag. Why they do such a small selection of data and powders is beyond me. I would guess that Blue Dot would be a fairly good candidate for use with this caliber.

If the Federal Cartridge Co. ever gets some brass on the market many of us will be buying lots of 500 and 1000, being edgy about future availability. Midway just shipped a backorder of 32 H.&R. mag so Starline has produced some of that.

If I live long enough to get some brass and then get to the range with a chrony, I will post results here. I plan to retire in 2 years, so maybe 327 mag brass will be available by then.
Old August 20, 2011, 10:52 PM   #13
Colorado Redneck

Bump

Midsouth shooters supply shipped some Federal 327 brass. Nice stuff. Sized and flared and primed 100 with Rem 7 1/2. Will start with H 110 and Hornady 100 gr with bottom end loads from the IMR site. Shooting them thru SP101. I will chrony them and report data here.

May not get to the range for another few weeks. Painting the house and a new grandson. Hope his ma will let old grampa show the young feller how to shoot prairie dogs and antelope....in about 10 years.
Old August 20, 2011, 11:32 PM   #14
Sevens

Brass brass or nickel brass?
All info is great info, I'll be happy to see what you come up with.

Most recently, I've had success (but no chrono!) going with max load of AA#7 under the 100gr XTP and launched from the pretty stainless Blackhawk. (that's 9.4 grains of AA#7 and loaded to the cannelure)

I'm sure that 2400 will perform well also, given that it's my go-to propellant for .30 Carb loads from my 7.5" B'Hawk.
Old August 21, 2011, 02:56 PM   #15
TCRon

32/327 Contender barrel

I'm a "new-bee" to this site..... was just looking for 327 FedMag load data and was directed to this thread. Not sure if any of you would be interested with what I'm doing but figured I'd "share".
I am testing a 10" barrel on my T/C Contender. This barrel was re-chambered from 32 S&W Long to 327 FedMag. To date I have fired some factory 32 S&W long through it and have done some testing with the 32 H&R brass. It should be noted the the T/C barrels for 32 caliber cartridges have a .308" bore so my loading has been with .308" and .309" bullets. I have been using primarily Hodgdon published data, specifically Lil'gun, and some IMR4227.
I just recieved the 327 brass that I had on back-order and will now start testing the 327 cartridge in this barrel. My interest is primarily on accuracy at ranges around 50 yards using a low powered scope. I will post some of my results to date with the 32 H&R and later as I work with the 327 cartridge. Hope some of you may find this of some interest.
Old August 21, 2011, 03:12 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Post away, TCRon. All data is good data.

For those interested - I'll be calling Sierra on Monday, to cancel my back order of the 90 gr JHCs. After more than a year of waiting, I'm pretty disappointed in their lack of motivation to support the .32 caliber community. Over the last 15 months, they have given me 3 different estimates for running .32 caliber bullets. All have come and gone. I'll let you know what the next run date is supposed to be...

Last edited by FrankenMauser; August 21, 2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old August 21, 2011, 05:55 PM   #17
Sevens

Quote:
It should be noted the the T/C barrels for 32 caliber cartridges have a .308" bore so my loading has been with .308" and .309" bullets.
I load a lot of .30 Carbine for my B'Hawk and in those loads, I use the Berry's Plated .30 Carb bullet exclusively.

These bullets are quite cost effective and very accurate -- and Berry's rates them to 1,900 FPS. I can't use them in .327 Federal with a .312" bore, but if you need/want .308" slugs for your Contender, you might consider the Berry's plated RN's.

Great bullet, cheaper than any .30 Carbine specific bullet on the market.
Old August 23, 2011, 02:14 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

Sierra no longer has a production date for the 90 gr JHCs.
In the words of the kind person I spoke with, "You're looking at at least a year, before they might make it on the production schedule."

After I expressed my disappointment with that, I was given the email address for the Vice President of Sales and Marketing - Matt Reams. If you want to send your opinion/complaint/feedback to him, simply put his first name in front of @sierrabullets.com.

Perhaps, if we get enough people explaining to him that most merchants won't let us back order these bullets, he may do something about getting them into production sooner. As it is, I see the problem as Sierra thinking there is very little demand for the bullet, based on existing orders. Yet, many of those existing orders are weighted by merchants, based on back orders. ...And if you can't back order, they don't think there's much demand. It's a vicious, self-defeating cycle.
Old August 23, 2011, 10:02 PM   #19
Colorado Redneck

Chrony Data for 327 Fed and 32 H&R Mag

Finally made it to the shooting range! Windy and hot but nice.

So here is some Chrony data from various loadings in 32 caliber, all shot from a Ruger SP101 with 3 1/16"barrel. The chrony was set 12 feet from the bench.

Factory Ammo
Fed 85 gr. Reduced Recoil: 1401 - 1424 fps Very consistent.

Speer Gold Dot 115 gr: 1361 - 1438 fps

Hand Load
100 gr. XTP over 12.2 gr H110 with Rem 7 1/2 primer: 1129 - 1282 fps

100 gr. XTP over 12.7 gr H110 Rem 7 1/2 primer: 1280 - 1352 fps

Also shot some 32 H&R Mag rounds.

Factory Ammo
Fed Premium Self Defense 85 gr: 956 - 1056 fps

Hand Load
85 gr XTP over 4.5 gr. Unique and Rem 1 1/2: 1008 - 1054 fps (Most accurate round for me today)

100 gr. XTP over 10.5 gr Lil Gun and Rem 1 1/2: 1085 - 1159 fps (This round was second most accurate)

Fun day. The little Ruger is fun to shoot, and the recoil is minimal. The 32 Fed Mag rounds bark fairly loud, but compared to 44 mag or 357 it is pretty quiet. I can see lots of this in the future.

I shot some other loads, but damned if I didn't hit one of the shade rods shooting offhand with my model 60. Looked for a few minutes in the weeds and grass but couldn't find the one rod. Didn't tear up the chorny but without the shade it quit registering velocity, so things weren't as interesting.
Old August 23, 2011, 10:18 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

This really caught my eye...
Quote:
Factory Ammo
Fed 85 gr. Reduced Recoil: 1401 - 1424 fps Very consistent.

Speer Gold Dot 115 gr: 1361 - 1438 fps
My testing in the 5.5" Blackhawk produced:
85 gr Hydra-Shok - 1,560 fps. (Rated for 1,400 fps in the SP101)
115 gr Gold Dot - 1,480 fps. (Rated for 1,335 fps in the SP101)

For some reason, that Gold Dot performance had never really registered in my brain. It was disappointing to me, in the Blackhawk; but I never realized how close the numbers were. You're dead on the factory numbers for the Hydra-Shoks, and better than expected with the Gold Dots.

I guess I've just had my head wrapped too tightly around the 200+ fps increase I get with the AE 100 gr SPs, over the SP101's rated 1,500 fps.
It really makes me wonder what powder they're using for the Gold Dots.

Do you mind posting your overall length for those handloads, when you get a chance?

Last edited by FrankenMauser; August 23, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old August 23, 2011, 10:30 PM   #21
Colorado Redneck

Sevens--"Brass or nickel?"

Brass. Loaded nice. Length was very consistent. Put a nice roll crimp on the rounds. Am using Redding steel dies. Have to use case lube but the dies work nice.

There was no case sticking or primer damage on any of the rounds today.

I get into a rut and have a hard time changing things. Every new gun takes a few hundred rounds for me to get a handle on shooting the thing. The two loads that shot good for me were the milder loads. And by the time I got to them I had already shot 50 rounds or so from the Ruger. It was a good day, and the results were encouraging. Had hopes that one of the 327 Fed Mag hand loads with the 100 gr XTP would shoot good and have enough wallop for self defense. The wallop part is right on. I can learn to shoot the gun with enough time.

The "new gun syndrome" is something I have lived with for years. I shot a 44 mag first today and was drilling out the bullseye with it. Then with a new gun I kinda sprayed bullets all over the target for a little while.
Old August 23, 2011, 10:32 PM   #22
Colorado Redneck

OAL Length

Will do. Heading for bed but will get those tomorrow evening.
Old August 24, 2011, 06:58 PM   #23
Rusty W

I've been loading/experimenting with the .327 off & on for about a year. Mostly off because I just don't have time to sit down & get serious about working up the best load/loads. I cast bullets from a custom mold that I purchased from NOE over on www.castboolits.gunloads.com. There are so many combinations possible w/this mold it takes a lot of time to figure it out. Gas check, plain base, flat point, & 3 different depths of hollow point pins. Then there's lubes, I use White Label Lube because it's cheap, easy, & works. I've used Bull Shops Speed Green, & Speed Green w/carnuba, they also work great. Here's a couple pics of targets I've shot at 25yds, sitting, w/my elbows resting on my knees. I have another "Keith" style mold in the works on a group buy, but it may be awhile before I get to try it out.
I also have shot the 85xtp and have seen over 1800fps on the chrono w/it, accuracy wasn't that great though. I shoot the 100xtp around 1400 and still maintain accuracy, I've seen 1600 through the chrono with it.
Believe it or not it shoots 32 longs pretty darn accurate. I use about 1.5grs of Trailboss with a Lee 90gr SWC. Makes a big POP & recoil is nonexistent in the blackhawk. I've about settled on 3 powders for the .327, AA#9, 2400, & H110. I've used CCI 500, WSPM, & even WSR (yes rifle) for primers and can't tell much difference in any of them. The main thing I've noticed is case length, if they vary so will my accuracy and velocity. I trim the all to the same length. I recently purchased some from Midsouth and upon measuring them they vary 1.192 to 1.1938, out comes the trimmer...when I get time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08-11-11_1846.jpg (101.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 01-15-11_1616.jpg (104.6 KB, 134 views)
Old August 24, 2011, 10:13 PM   #24
Colorado Redneck

Cartridge OAL

For 327 Fed Mag with 100 gr. xtp = 1.452

Seated so the case rim was nearly to the top of the cannelure. IMR web page recommends 1.450
Old August 25, 2011, 01:17 AM   #25
FrankenMauser

Thanks guys!

And, Rusty... I know what you mean about the .32 S&W Longs out of the Blackhawk. They are so pleasant to shoot (like .22 Short out of a rifle), and I haven't found many loads that weren't accurate. I'm hoping they'll be just as fun in the GP100.

How did the American Eagle 85 gr stuff do? I haven't had a chance to pick any up, yet.