The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 14, 2009, 10:36 PM   #1
flatboy

Ruger carbine .30 cal

I just recently traded a mosberg 12ga. pump for a sbh .30 carbine 7.5''. I like revolvers it looks nice next to my sbh .44mag. 7.5''. Anyhow what is the history (if any ) on this particular gun,i know it shoots the same bullets my m1 shoots but has ruger had this model for awhile. The gun shoots great but its blueing is worn. Lookin for a little more background on this one.
Old April 15, 2009, 07:46 AM   #2
PetahW

If it has three screws, crossways through the cylinder frame, it's an Old Model, made from 1968-73 - but if it's a two-pin New Model, it was made after 1973.

You can look up the approximate D.O.M. (not shipping) with it's serial number on Ruger's website:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PS-Ser...istory-RE.html

If you CALL Ruger's Cust Service with the serial number, they can tell you exactly when it was shipped, and how - i.e., if it had anything "special" about it.

Old April 15, 2009, 09:26 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

The .30 Carbine out of a revolver is a hot cartridge. It's best to work up some handgun loads for it. There's data in Lyman's Pistol and Revolver manual.