The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 15, 2000, 03:49 PM   #1
nedfig

For hunting ferrel hogs in brush country, what would be better:

1. A heavier bullet moving slower, or

2. A lighter bullet moving faster.

I plan on using me HK USP 45 and Cor-Bon makes some about 185gr. I think that move about 1450fps. Will this work, or would the 230gr. at 1100fps be better.

thanks.
Old September 15, 2000, 05:35 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Moving to The Hunt forum...
Old September 15, 2000, 05:48 PM   #3
Gipperdog

I haven't personally hunted hogs, but I have read lots of comments on various chat boards concerning this issue. All the experienced people agree with the heavy bullet moving as fast as possible. No hollowpoints should be used at all. Heavy cast bullets of the Keith design work well. There are lots of commercial casters out there that make a 255 gr. Keith style bullet that works well from a 45 ACP. You can find loads that will push these bullets at over 800 fps that ought to punch thru a hog. Hogs are very tough animals that deserve more respect(they can be dangerous)than many give them.

------------------
Guard Freedom from those that "want to do it for the Children."
Old September 15, 2000, 05:51 PM   #4
BadMedicine

Heavier is the way to go. Here's a few reasons.

1. Just as a rule of thumb, fast light bullets are a no-no in heavy brush. They can and probably will deflect, mushroom half-way to the animal, and generally suck.
2. In heavy brush, your game should be fairly close when you see it, thus the extra FPS aren't a necessity.
3.From What I've heard of hunting hogs they have thick skin, strong muscles, and big bones. You want a big bullet that will give you the best penetration.
4. Wounded hogs, aren't fun hogs. You want A bullet that will break brush all the way there, and proceed to tear through skin, meat, and heavy bones an on into the broiler room until the bacon is very dead.
Hope you have fun, and please, go with the 230 grain.
Old September 15, 2000, 07:52 PM   #5
CD1

I whole heartedly agree with the heavy is better rule. Keep in mind though that ANY bullet that hits brush will have its point of impact altered. Don't assume that a gun is a "brush buster" that will still hit your point of aim after passing through even small brush.
Old September 16, 2000, 02:41 AM   #6
BadMedicine

But generally for close range the flight-trajectory shouldn't *key word being shouldn't* be altered that much.

Old September 16, 2000, 11:45 AM   #7
Robert the41MagFan

Hollow points, as already stated, will not work well on pigs. A hard cast is needed. Also, that CorBon data is flawed. You WILL NOT get those ballistics from that UPS pistol. I am out in the woods and not close to my manuals, but those loads sound like 45 Super. Which would make it even more difficult to get those numbers from the UPS. Someone mentioned using 255 gr cast bullets. Those do work on a 45 acp case, but some guns will not feed them correctly, due to headspace.

Other than extreme close range that USP is not the correct firearm for hunting pigs. But if you insist, use 230 grain ball ammunition.

Robert
Old September 17, 2000, 07:03 AM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The last "brush-busting" test I recall is from some 30 years back, in The American Rifleman. They tried everything from small stuff moving fast, on up to .45-70. Spire points and round nose, etc.

No bullet shape or weight was better than any other bullet shape or weight. (Yes, hot .22s and suchlike do blow up.) The most important variable for "deer cartridges" or larger seemed to be the distance from the twig, stick or limb to the animal.

If the target is right next to a clump of brush and you shoot through it, you have good odds of a hit. If the distance from the brush to the animal on the other side is five feet or more, you're gonna be real lucky if anything good happens.

"Brush-busting" bullets is strictly hype, when the shape of the nose of the bullet is the selling point. A 220-grain round-nose bullet in 30-caliber will deflect just as happily as a 150-grain spire point. A .45-70 bullet will deflect just as badly as a .308...

FWIW, Art
Old September 19, 2000, 09:21 PM   #9
bernie

Heavy goooooood.