The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 25, 2015, 04:47 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

New Cabela's scope... extreme light transmission... anyone know more???

I ran across these in a catalog while on the reading throne one night...

I'm curious who makes them for Cabelas as most normal high quality scopes list light transmission in the middle 90%... it looks like the lens system may be made by Meopta ???

the Cabelas Euro Instinct scope lists light transmission at 99.8%...

care to offer insight or comments ???

http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=567387180

http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=153172980

this Nikon Monarch lists light transmission up to 95%

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nikon...%3D0&Ntt=nikon

smoke & mirrors or ???
Old August 25, 2015, 08:07 PM   #2
jmr40

There are different ways to measure light transmission. It is difficult to use this as a guide when comparing different brands. Within the same brand it is more useful. Or when various brands are tested by the same independent lab. I don't believe 99.8%. Most Leupolds are in the lower to mid 90's and I'd not be surprised if this isn't in the 95%+ range.

But I'll say this much. The 3-9X40 Cabelas Euro-Insticnt is made by Meoptia in the USA. It is the exact scope that Zeiss used to sell as their 3-9X40 Conquest. That scope sold originally for $550 and is regarded as one of the best scopes within its price range. Zeiss discontinued that version a couple of years ago and replaced it with their Asian built Terra.

Outdoor Life in a recent article tested various scopes and rated the Cabelas scope as their best buy and claimed it did better in low light than many more expensive scopes.

I've had one of the original Zeiss Conquests for 7-8 years and can attest to it's quality. About a month ago I found one of the Euro-Instinct 3-9X40's in a local Cabela's Bargain cave priced at $279. I had about $150 in Cabelas bucks built up on my Cabelas CC and jumped on it. It has some ring marks, but is otherwise good. Even at the full price of $399 I think it is one of the best buys in a scope today.
Old August 26, 2015, 06:25 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the reply... I've gone through & replaced most of my scopes that needed replacing over the last couple years... so I'm not really in the market for a scope today... was mostly just curious...

... I thought they looked pretty decent, but I've not looked through one at the local Cabelas yet... I've had one Cabelas scope that I had mounted on a custom 50 A.E. lever action, & it has handled the beating for many years though...

only thing I'm not liking so far on these new scopes, is the lack of paralax adjustment...