The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2015, 07:47 PM   #26
DaleA

So the Dillon 1050 "starter kit" huh? YIKES!!!

Still, like sawdustdad said, if you read the directions, work deliberately (deliberate can be different than just 'slow') you'll probably be fine.

I started with a single stage and a long, long time later moved up to a progressive and was amazed at how much faster it was. I don't think you 'have' to start out on a single stage at all though.

I'd sure be interested in how this turns out so if you want to post about your progress once in a while it could be a fun thread, especially if you have a reasonably good sense of humor and thick skin.

Oh, and it's just me but one of my really useful pieces of equipment for reloading turned out to be my trusty shop vac.
Old January 11, 2015, 11:04 PM   #27
frogo207

The main problem with a new reloader starting off with a progressive is being able to keep track of ALL the steps at one time so you can produce a safe to shoot round. The first thing is to read a couple reloading books through twice before you even try to load a round. Understanding what a squib and an overcharge can do to you and the firearm are the most basic things. No one here wants you to blow something up and it is 10X easier to do on a progressive when you do not understand the basic process and the reasons for all the case prep, steps, etc. beforehand.

Not sure what your engineering expertise is but expecting the common layman to know, say the brittleness, elasticity, and tensile strength of a metal and why that info would be useful for them to know. Reloading is assembling a series of components that are going to produce an explosion of up to 66K+ psi inches from your face that is going to be safely contained and focused is not something to just throw together.

Oh I am a relatively new reloader myself only 35+ years so far. Then there is a line that goes---There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but not many old bold pilots around.

Last edited by frogo207; January 11, 2015 at 11:12 PM.