The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2005, 05:18 PM   #1
DanV1317

Faster powder measure

I am using a Redding T7 turret press and i am interested in a faster powder measurer and scale. I have looked at some RCBS and Lymann and PACT. I am using it just for pistol reloading. .40 and .45. If you guys could give some input on what you think, what exact model you have and how you like it, that would be great. Any addition tid bits would help too before i spend all the money it.
Old June 9, 2005, 05:54 PM   #2
YosemiteSam357

A friend and I did a bunch of rifle cartridge reloading last year on his Pact thrower with "attached" (via IR link) digital scale. Can't remember the model numbers off hand, but it included the "better" scale. This was a great setup for hyper-accurate (down to .1 grain) benchrest reloading, but was pricy, up around $300 total (and that was on sale). However, when he loads for pistol he uses dippers and checks his weight every nth round. Claims he doesn't need the accuracy of the Pact unit for pistol cartridges, and it takes too long for the scale to settle when you're trying to crank 'em out.

I suppose you could use the Pact thrower without the scale (thus eliminating the wait), but it still takes some time to grind out a load. More time than it takes to dip one, for sure.

I got to the point last year that I could seat a bullet (at another station) while waiting for the Pact thrower to throw a charge and settle...

-- Sam
Old June 9, 2005, 10:21 PM   #3
Jim Watson

When I single stage pistol ammo, I use an RCBS Uniflo with small drum. There are others, Redding is good if you get the one made for pistol, not the insert in the rifle measure. Plenty fast, especially if you use Ball powder.

You do not need to weigh every powder charge unless you are loading at absolute maximum. And why would you want to do that?

I cannot see the sense of those expensive automatic weighing dispensers except maybe for long range rifle ammo.
Old June 10, 2005, 02:50 AM   #4
racenutz

Hornady Lock-N-Load Powder Measure http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=290524
Hornady Case Activated Powder Drop http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=840920
Old June 10, 2005, 03:46 AM   #5
Sturm

Uniflow for over 20 years and it is working as well as the day I bought it. REDDING if you want a competition grade powder measure and the price increase that will entail.

I have never had an issue with any powder through the Uniflow, but I have also never used IMR 800X. Blue Dot will meter about as good as you can expect it to with occasional flake cutting and I don't believe there is a way around that unless you want to give up precision. My charge weights are very consistent with Blue Dot and I'm not going to buy 800-X just because it is the worst case scenario and toughest test for powder measures with handgun charges. Rifle ball powders of course work very well and for faster ones like W-748, small charges can be dropped accurately with the small drum as Jim Watson pointed out. Extruded Rifle with the large drum.

I like the the changeable setting feature of the new Hornady and I could live with the Lyman 55. The Uniflow is the standard by which all powder measures are judged!
Old June 10, 2005, 10:38 AM   #6
Leftoverdj

Dan, since speed is your concern, you need a measure that mounts on the expander die and dispenses powder through the expander. That combines two steps in the loading process. You can do this with a Lee expander and a Lee Pro AutoDisk to do it automatically, or you can mount RCBS and Lyman measures by means of the Lyman Universal Expander Kit and do it manually.

The Lee does a better job with very small charges, but has to be watched for hangups. The calibers you are shooting take large enough charges so the RCBS will work fine.
Old June 12, 2005, 06:42 AM   #7
Dogjaw

A Dillon would work also, and is an excellent measure. Order the appropriate powder funnels for each cal. I can set mine at 3.2 grains of ball powder and it doesn't waiver.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old June 13, 2005, 08:42 AM   #8
MADISON

Faster powder measure

A Faster powder measure is not what you are looking for. You need the MOST CONSISTANT powder measure. I have an RCBS Uni-Flo, Lyman 55 and 8 Lee Disk Powder Measures. If you require one that throws powder each time a case is under it, the Lee does my job.
Old June 14, 2005, 11:14 AM   #9
Leftoverdj

Dogjaw, I have not used the Dillon, but I'm sure it's excellent. The trouble starts with charges under three grains. Ball powder helps, but you need a narrow chamber when you get down under about three grains. Get down under two grains, and things get real tricky.

I'll look into the Dillon.
Old June 14, 2005, 05:47 PM   #10
Dogjaw

The Dillon comes with a large and small powder chamber. The lowest charge I've used has been 3.1 grains of W231. And I've got to say that it has never waivered off of 3.1, or any pistol load. I now check every 20th round and randomly for QC reasons, and found it was always 3.1.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old June 14, 2005, 07:25 PM   #11
racenutz

Quote:
Dogjaw, I have not used the Dillon, but I'm sure it's excellent. The trouble starts with charges under three grains. Ball powder helps, but you need a narrow chamber when you get down under about three grains. Get down under two grains, and things get real tricky.
Isn't this why Dillon makes a Extra Small Charge Size Powder Bar? http://dillonprecision.com/template/...3&min=4&dyn=1&

Will the Dillon Measure work on other presses? On the new production presses the only thing that resets the measure is the fail-safe rod.
Old June 14, 2005, 08:09 PM   #12
Ozzieman

This is where I would go for high end powder measure

There pricyyyy, very high but there are none better.
If you want to weigh every charge they have a powder measure and electronic scale the dumps and measures each load. You set it and each load that it dumps is the same in weight.
But you better have your credit card ready for some heavy panting,

http://www.sinclairintl.com/