The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 16, 2004, 11:48 PM   #1
IZinterrogator

Any good ranges in Central Texas?

I live in the Killeen area and I used to go to Minuteman Rifle Range (on Hwy 195) all the time. While I was home on leave, I went there and it looked closed. A friend confirmed that it hadn't been open in awhile. I have been to Yankee Gunsmith's range and didn't like the confined shooting area. I have also been to Tony's down in Florence, but it was a long drive to go somewhere where I had to stand in line to get one of the five pistol lanes. Does anyone know of any other good ranges in that area? Anywhere from Lampasas to Temple would work. I'll be home in March of 2005 so one that hasn't opened yet but will open soon would be fine. Thanks.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old December 2, 2004, 11:03 PM   #2
Wisecracka

I'm not sure if this will help or if you've already checked this out, but this site gave me a hand http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/f...l.asp?State=TX
Old December 12, 2004, 10:07 AM   #3
IZinterrogator

Tried the website, but didn't find anything close. Are there any other websites out there that list range locations besides the NRA one? I think the NRA one only lists ones that they have "approved", so it is bound to be very incomplete. Thanks.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old January 31, 2005, 02:02 AM   #4
Wisecracka

Try checking out http://wheretoshoot.org I'm in VA and don't really know Texas that well, but i did a did a zip code search and found one thats in a thirty mile radius of the zip i used (hopefully its the right one). Heres the link http://www.wheretoshoot.org/wts_results.asp?CoreId=4806 ...hopefully this will help.
Old January 31, 2005, 02:28 AM   #5
zappadragon

Wisecracka;

thanks for the link to that site. There is an outdoor range near me that I am now going to have to check out.

thanks
Old January 31, 2005, 09:33 AM   #6
cpileri

Location: Peoples Republik of Maryland, Sister State to Kalifornia
new to killeeen area

Nice to 'meet' you!
I am also new to the killeen area, and have been lookign for the Yankee Gunsmith place- for smith work, but if its closer than Tony's...

Could you help me out with directions from 190?
PM if you dont want to waste thread space (like I did).
C-
Old January 31, 2005, 04:24 PM   #7
Wisecracka

Not a problem...been lurking this site since August of last year and finally had an chance to help the guys that helped me.
Old January 31, 2005, 06:12 PM   #8
IZinterrogator

cpileri,
To get to Yankee Gunsmith, go west on 190 in Copperas Cove until you get to Highway Ave (it's a five-way stop near the west end of town, by an auto parts shop). Go northwest on Highway to 27th Street. Make a right and go to the end. It will turn left into Oak Hill Drive. Follow that to Deer Flat Drive. Yankee Gunsmith is at the intersection of Deer Flat and Oak Hill, on the left IIRC.