The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 27, 2006, 05:01 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Which is cheaper buying all parts and doing it yourself or buying gun? (BAR)

The BAR being so expensive, even in semi auto replica, these days I was wondering if it would be cheaper to just buy all the parts and the schematics and put it together yourself. Ohio ordinance still makes the gun, which means parts are manufactured. I've seen full parts ads in catalogues for assembling replica machine guns and rifles.

The more I read about it, the more I like the BAR (or more specifically the .30-06 round it carries) over the AR-15 and the M1A. The .223 caliber is just too small. Feel like I'm shooting a .22. Want something that would create a larger wound cavity and have more penetration. The .308 is just a downgraded version of the .30-06 caliber. No. The BAR was a high capacity battle rifle that fires a round that has extra punch behind it. And it has more of a historical story to tell. So the new ones can't be "fully auto." Well as I understand it, the original ones really weren't "fully auto" in buy only fired automatic bursts of 3 or 4 rounds at a time. For this, all you legally need is a hellfire and you can still fire in bursts.
The .30-06 is a vicious round, but the weight of the BAR should soak up most of the recoil and even in practice could be used with lighter bullets or even frangible rounds (a round that was light even in my plastic stock Rem 700)
Old July 27, 2006, 05:50 PM   #2
onemsumba

Generally

Building stuff from scratch is a lot more of a headace and a lot more expensive then just buying it right the first time.

dont' know about doing it for the BAR though... but do you want to spend 1000-1500 in parts just to figure out it was too big a project.

My recomendation Buy an M1 from the CMP.
Old July 27, 2006, 08:01 PM   #3
hksigwalther

Persoanlly, I would prefer someone who knows how to build a BAR (Ohio Ord) over someone who doesn't (me) and would be willing to pay the higher price.
Old July 27, 2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Doug.38PR

Think of it as a challenge. If you did put it together yourself, you'd take all the more pride in it
Old July 27, 2006, 08:15 PM   #5
USNairman

While I don't know anything about the BAR, I did purchase the parts and put both of my AR15's together. It was much cheaper and fun to do.
Old July 27, 2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Don H

Price the parts, price a complete rifle, and you'll have your answer. Don't forget the cost of any specialized tools you'll need.
Old July 28, 2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Doug.38PR

Does anyone have any idea where you can get parts (NOTE: I would need to be careful to be sure and order SLR 1918A3, the semi auto version otherwise I could be looking at 10 years in prison violating divine federal law ) I looked at Numreich/E-gunparts and looked around many articles using Google but saw no indication where I could get parts.
Old July 28, 2006, 12:49 PM   #8
kozak6

With the BAR, it might be better to look around and see if you can just buy a completed semiauto, if there is such thing.

I'm not familiar with the SLR 1918A3, but the BATFE still has some requirements for semiautos. They can't fire from an open bolt, and you have to worry about the ability to swap full auto parts in and such.

Unless you are a machinist, this project may not be worth pursuing.
Old July 28, 2006, 04:26 PM   #9
El Barto

Doug,

I sooooo know what you mean. I love the knock-knock-knock sound of the BAR and I would love to own one. I do know that at one time there "were" part kits with cut receivers, but every place I have contacted has said no more. I really hate to break it to you, but unless you want to send the 10K for a real one, Ohio Ordnance is the way to go. That is unless you find some little old lady selling off her dead husbands collection.

If I do find a kit or a lead into one, I will let you know.
Old July 28, 2006, 11:49 PM   #10
maas

my thoughts are if it aint fully auto it aint a BAR buy a garand

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old July 29, 2006, 12:00 PM   #11
hksigwalther

Quote:
Think of it as a challenge. If you did put it together yourself, you'd take all the more pride in it
I'm all for knowing your weapons inside and out and working on them yourself. I do that for my 10/22s. But, as noted above, the parts kits will most likely be for full auto and getting the proper fitment into a semi receiver (if you can get one) will probably involve much more work than simply assembling parts. If you've got a good set of machining tools and equipment and a good eye on what needs to be shaved/re-shaped by so many mils at such and such angles, good luck to you. As for me, I don't have the tools or the knowledge and am not willing to pay large dollars for additional parts I screw up. (The 10/22s aren't quite as expensive .)

(I'm saving up for an OH Ord 1918A3 myself . They are only about 40 minutes away from me. It's #2 on my all time "Get This" list and I don't think I'll ever get #1, an HK PSG1.)
Old July 30, 2006, 12:22 AM   #12
mrawesome22

From Doug.38PR

"The .223 caliber is just too small. Feel like I'm shooting a .22."

LOL sorry, this just tickled me. .223 is .22 caliber. Just like .222 and .22-250 and so on. You probably meant .22 rimfire but it made me laugh.