The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 29, 2016, 05:41 PM   #1
1-DAB

Putting my PX4 compact 9mm on a diet

my PX4 compact in 9mm was too wide to use as an IDPA BUG, but otherwise met the rulebook. so i got some parts, swapped them out, and now it's nice and thin.

max width is 1-3/8" (1.375")
yay!

before:

slide mounted decocking levers

slide catch release

after:

decocking levers

slide catch release

will take it to the range and do a function test, and then it's ready for the next match, or summer carry.

added bonus, the decocking levers are G type, so they only decock the hammer, they spring back up, putting the gun back in DA mode, they do not stay down and leave it in safe mode like the F type.
Old March 30, 2016, 08:16 AM   #2
g.willikers

It's hard to imagine why a tiny bit of width could make any difference one way or another at a match.
For an organization that was begun supposedly to better reflect real world situations, IDPA sure does have a lot of rules.
Old March 30, 2016, 08:27 AM   #3
zincwarrior

the rules keep it from being just another race gun competition.

Speaking of,check the rules on external modifications to be safe if these changes are ok.
Old March 30, 2016, 08:49 AM   #4
1-DAB

8.2.6.6 Semi-Automatic BUG (BUG-S)

8.2.6.6.3 Semi-Automatic Modifications:
Semi-automatic BUG must comply with all Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) features and modifications, and equipment restrictions.

8.2.2.2 ESP Permitted Features and Modifications (Inclusive list):

8.2.2.2.19 Extended, trimmed, and/or ambidextrous slide releases.

good to go!

the decocker is the G type, which is a factory offering.
Old March 30, 2016, 09:03 AM   #5
9x45

IDPA and USPSA are gun games, that's all. Neither are real world, or training or tactics. They just have different rules otherwise they would be the same game. Notice both IDPA and USPSA have a Carry Optic Division....
Old March 30, 2016, 10:26 AM   #6
1-DAB

??

there's no optics in IDPA.
Old March 30, 2016, 10:41 AM   #7
zincwarrior

Quote:
8.2.6.6 Semi-Automatic BUG (BUG-S)

8.2.6.6.3 Semi-Automatic Modifications:
Semi-automatic BUG must comply with all Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) features and modifications, and equipment restrictions.

8.2.2.2 ESP Permitted Features and Modifications (Inclusive list):

8.2.2.2.19 Extended, trimmed, and/or ambidextrous slide releases.

good to go!

the decocker is the G type, which is a factory offering.
Excellent, then you should be good to go, plus that might be better for extra carry. Also remember, true BUG I think has maximum ammunition levels. Don't forget when reloading mags, especially if you are used to another category. Now is this full on BUG or the concealed carry category they just added?

Quote:
IDPA and USPSA are gun games, that's all. Neither are real world, or training or tactics. They just have different rules otherwise they would be the same game. Notice both IDPA and USPSA have a Carry Optic Division....
All gun games are just gun games. The OP said nothing about training or tactics. The county sheriff shooting team that regularly shoots at our matches would disagree to a great extent, but thats another topic.
Old March 30, 2016, 10:47 AM   #8
1-DAB

i can shoot this in BUG, loading 6 rounds at a time, or in CCP, loading 8+1 and 8 round spares.

my VP9 fits in the BUG box, but the barrel is too long.

plan to make this my summer carry, way smaller than the P320 full size. and i only give up 2 rounds on initial load, but can stash a 20 round spare round on my belt if i think i'm going to run into 36 stray, vicious dogs.
Old March 30, 2016, 11:19 AM   #9
zincwarrior

Very good. My M&Pc is designed such that it can fit into the BUG and I believe the new concealed category. Further, like your statement, I carry a spare full sized M&P mag with a grip collar that extends the M&Pc's grip when inserted.

My wife has an PX4 compact (I think its the compact-its the 15 rounder). Its the lightest recoil 9mm we own with that rotary action, and the DA initial strike is the only DA I could moderately consider tolerating. If thats the same as yours then good choice.
Old March 30, 2016, 11:24 AM   #10
9x45

Dab, your'e right, IDPA turned down carry optics division.

Why Not Carry Optics (CO)?
The recent online survey asking whether shooters would prefer CCP or CO showed significantly more than twice as many people wanted CCP vs CO. Additionally, NFC results today around the country show almost no Carry Optic participation, so interest in CO equipment is just not there today. Carry optics would require most competitors to spend about $1000 or more to compete, and IDPA principles have always said that IDPA is about firearms the shooters already own. That said, IDPA will reevaluate this decision from time to time.

Zinc, I'm on our county Sheriffs shooting team, and would disagree with you. The weapon manipulation and shooting fast and accurately is a skill set that might be called a type of training, but not in the tactical sense.
Old March 30, 2016, 11:35 AM   #11
1-DAB

from my reading, one of the main goals of IDPA is that a guy/gal can show up with their carry gear and participate. they do not have to go out and get a new gun. and that there is a category they will fit into.

eyes and ears - check
gun, spare mags, holster and mag carrier - check
ammo - check
jacket, coat, vest, long shirt - check

let's go!

was watching a video a few days ago, and the instructor noted that one of the benefits of competing is that you will likely practice more, and as a result of that practice and competing with a time clock running, and everyone watching, you will be confident in your abilities. he's right.

before i started shooting IDPA, i thought i was a decent shot. now that i've practiced and competed, i have learned how fast i can go and be accurate. now i know how good a shot i am.
Old March 30, 2016, 11:52 AM   #12
zincwarrior

Quote:
Zinc, I'm on our county Sheriffs shooting team, and would disagree with you. The weapon manipulation and shooting fast and accurately is a skill set that might be called a type of training, but not in the tactical sense.
Then I should be more clear as we are in agreement. It helps with training-shooting well, accurately, reloading, drawing, shooting one hand or off hand.

Specific self defense training-no, and you are very correct. Other than it reminds you to shoot behind cover it doesn't.

On the positive, it does (in my case) make you familiar with having to carry a Carebear and shoot one handed, while being serenaded with "I love you!" from said bear. Very disconcerting.
Old March 30, 2016, 12:05 PM   #13
1-DAB

we didn't have a care bear, so we lugged around a cone. you had more fun. but the cone didn't sing to us.
Old March 31, 2016, 08:58 AM   #14
9x45

1-Dab, you should try USPSA then. Keep in mind that IDPA was invented by Bill Wilson and his ex-IPSC hoser buddies.
Old April 2, 2016, 05:21 PM   #15
1-DAB

took it for a spin today after the match, works great! summer carry pistol. way smaller than a P320 full size, only give up 2 rounds on initial load, but can carry a spare 20 round mag. woot.