The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2013, 10:00 PM   #1
gwhunran

barrel question about Ruger 22 MKI

I have a Ruger MKI 22 pistol, standard model.
I would like to get a bull barreled Ruger pistol of this type, not the 22/45 version though.
Can I buy just the bull barrel for a MKII and just swap them out using the MKI's lower? I don't know if there was a MKI bull barrel.
Or do I have to buy another pistol?
Old February 22, 2013, 10:27 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Ruger won't sell those barrels separately. The reason is the way the guns are made. They take a piece of heavy wall steel tubing, inside thread it, screw in the finished barrel, then use the feed ramp of the barrel as a reference point to cut the ejection port, drill for the ejector and bolt stop pin, etc. So each barrel and receiver assembly is made as a unit and it would be almost impossible to replace the barrel and have it fit right.

Incidentally, the Standard Model is not the Mk I. The Mk I is the first target version, made with adjustable sights and either a bull barrel or a 6 7/8" barrel.

Jim
Old February 22, 2013, 10:34 PM   #3
gwhunran

I have the box it came in and it says:
Ruger Standard Pistol
.22 Long Rifle Automatic
Catalog No. RST-4 4 3/4" Bbl
It's pre 1980, I just thought if it wasn't a MKII it was a MKI?
Old February 22, 2013, 10:39 PM   #4
gwhunran

It's also been a few years. But around 1980, a friend and I were out shooting our 22s and he had a MKII with a bull barrel and adjustable sites. And while I was occupied with something else, he switched the uppers of our two pistols and was shooting them. He said he wanted to compare them.
So, it does work and he may have just been lucky that they matched up
Old February 22, 2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Dragline45

Quote:
They take a piece of heavy wall steel tubing, inside thread it, screw in the finished barrel, then use the feed ramp of the barrel as a reference point to cut the ejection port, drill for the ejector and bolt stop pin, etc. So each barrel and receiver assembly is made as a unit
I am not sure how easy it is to get a whole new upper assembly from Ruger since the serial number is on the upper and not the frame. A new upper from them would be like having a whole different gun. In states where you need to register your firearms that could be a problem.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:00 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Since the grip frame of those Ruger .22 autos is made from stamped steel (two "clam shell" halves welded together, like the M3 SMG), it would be hard to stamp a serial number on it wiithout smashing it flat. So Ruger asked (then) ATTD to put the serial on the receiver, and that is where it is today.

I understood the OP's question to be about changing barrels keeping the receiver. If the intent is to buy a new upper (barrel and receiver), the swap would be easy.

Jim
Old February 22, 2013, 11:08 PM   #7
gwhunran

Should have said upper. And it would probably be hard to find them for sale since they aren't sold new. I have looked at the new pistols and they are a bit pricey, I like the look of the old bull barreled MKII and don't like the look of the new ones or the 22/45.
I have a 1911A1 style .45 that I like as well as a Para P12 that I like just fine too, just not a Ruger 22 in that style.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:22 PM   #8
CTS

You can buy a barrel and upper from Tactical Solutions that will fit your lower grip frame. http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/ta...series-pistols
As someone said, the RST is a Ruger Standard, the Mk I was a target model in either 5 1/4" heavy tapered target barrel, 5 1/2" bull barrel or 6 7/8" heavy tapered target barrel. the MK Is had adjustable sights where the standards had fixed sights.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:43 PM   #9
gwhunran

Thanks for the link Slappy. It would be great to have a Ruger unit but this looks okay.