The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 29, 2014, 06:00 PM   #201
steve4102

Quote:
He had the benefit of due process, which is something he denied his victims.

This case is a cautionary tale for those who think the law allows them to shoot first and worry about the consequences later.
So where does this leave us, the rest of society?

A BG breaks into my home committing a felony, can I shoot him or NOT?

Simple question, no need to go into the Smith case all over again, we all know he crossed the line.

Can I shoot and Kill a BG that broke into my home to commit a felony,or do I have self determine what a stranger would consider "reasonable" at the time?

BTW they were not Victims, they were common criminals. They were no more a victim than Trayvon Martin was.
Old April 29, 2014, 06:04 PM   #202
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

We're left right where we've always been.

We shoot to stop the threat and stop shooting when the threat ceases, all under "reasonable person" requirements. Nothing is new or different.

Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws don't really change any of it, except the requirement to retreat.

Wisdom dictates retreat when possible anyway, we shouldn't need a law to tell us that.
Old April 29, 2014, 06:09 PM   #203
pax

Quote:

Simple question, no need to go into the Smith case all over again, we all know he crossed the line.

Can I shoot and Kill a BG that broke into my home to commit a felony,or do I have self determine what a stranger would consider "reasonable" at the time?
The answer is the same as it has always been: you may legally use deadly force when there is an immediate, otherwise unavoidable, danger of death or grave bodily harm to the innocent.

Assuming your question is a real one, you can find more about the answers here, here, and here.

pax,

Kathy Jackson
Old April 29, 2014, 06:14 PM   #204
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If the felony was to steal some jewelry, and he's on his way out the door, no.

If the felony is to stab you, probably so. There is a difference.

This case changes nothing. We are expected to be reasonable and show restraint in the use of deadly force.
Old April 29, 2014, 06:36 PM   #205
steve4102

Quote:

MN 609.065 has been posted on here several times. It clearly states that Taking of a Life is Justified to stop the commission of a felony. MN appeals court also says that Self Defense and Fear for One's Life is not a criteria for Taking of a Life in one's home to stop the commission of a felony.

Going out the door with my jewelry is still Committing a Felony, Yes. Breaking into my home to get said jewelry is Committing a Felony, yes.

By your words and opinion, the Law is not the law, what you and 11 other people on the jury think is "reasonable" is the Law. yes?
Old April 29, 2014, 06:41 PM   #206
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

We're back at thinking that we can "just read" the law and know what it means. We can't. We have to see previous opinions/precedent. The "reasonable man" standard has always been the standard and, yes, it all comes down to the jury but that hasn't changed either.
Old April 29, 2014, 06:42 PM   #207
steve4102

Quote:
We're back at thinking that we can "just read" the law and know what it means. We can't. We have to see previous opinions/precedent. The "reasonable man" standard has always been the standard and, yes, it all comes down to the jury but that hasn't changed either.
Same Question, can I shoot a BG that broke into my home or not?
Old April 29, 2014, 06:45 PM   #208
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by steve4102: So where does this leave us, the rest of society?
Right where we were yesterday. A trial court decision does not establish legal precedent.

Quote:
That depends upon the jurisdiction.

But even if deadly force may be used to prevent a felony when necessary and you do it, you will probably regret having done so

But you should not be asking the question "can I shoot him" in the first place.

Quote:
Have we answered that?

Quote:
BTW they were not Victims, ...
They were victims of first degree murder.

Quote:
...they were common criminals.
So are many murder victims.

That is completely irrelevant.
Old April 29, 2014, 06:51 PM   #209
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102
Same Question, can I shoot a BG that broke into my home or not?
That's the wrong question. Shoot someone when you MUST shoot them and you'll never (should never) be on the wrong side of the law.

Always make every reasonable effort to avoid shooting someone. Never shoot someone when you could have reasonably expected a safe alternative.

Shooting someone is a terrible, terrible thing that will change your life forever. Avoid it at all costs, except when your life is at stake and it won't matter if you "can" shoot someone. If you have no other choice, the laws in every state in America allow for the use of deadly force.
Old April 29, 2014, 07:03 PM   #210
Sure Shot Mc Gee

It ain't over till its over. According to the defense attorney Meshbesher he intends to petition the MN State Supreme Court for a Miss Trial. This Morrison County trial Judge pre-trial instructions to the attorneys. Do not to bring up past police history known about the deceased perpetrator's during Smith's trial.
Old April 29, 2014, 07:05 PM   #211
Frank Ettin
Staff

Three hours is a very short amount of time to deliberate in this kind of case. That suggest to me that the jury did not have to spend much time considering any arguments that Smith was justified. The defense apparently fell flat with this jury.

Quote:
...Same Question, can I shoot a BG that broke into my home or not?...
And same answer as always -- sometimes yes, and sometimes no. If you're not clear on how to distinguish between the two, perhaps you need to study the subject further. In post 203 pax gave you some links that can help.

Quote:
...MN 609.065 has been posted on here several times. It clearly states that Taking of a Life is Justified to stop the commission of a felony...
But to look at the question another way, Smith went further than stopping the commission of a felony.

He stopped the commission of the felony, and the two kids were still alive. Then killing them was not necessary to stop the commission of a felony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee
...This Morrison County trial Judge pre-trial instructions to the attorneys. Do not to bring up past police history known about the deceased perpetrator's during Smith's trial.
That was probably appropriate. In general their criminal histories would not be relevant to deciding if Smith was justified unless it can be shown that Smith knew of their histories.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old April 29, 2014, 07:24 PM   #212
jimbob86

Quote:
MN 609.065 has been posted on here several times. It clearly states that Taking of a Life is Justified to stop the commission of a felony. MN appeals court also says that Self Defense and Fear for One's Life is not a criteria for Taking of a Life in one's home to stop the commission of a felony.
I don't live in MN, but I doubt that the State of Minnesota views "laying on the floor and struggling to breathe" as a felony.

IANAL, but IMO, the Homowner was well within his rights to defend himself with deadly force .... even to shoot felons caught in the act, if in MN and the law you referenced is the Law there..... but once they are laying on the floor, no longer a threat, even to property? Putting a gun under the chin and pulling the trigger at that point is pretty well cut and dried murder .....
Old April 29, 2014, 08:00 PM   #213
tipoc

Now and again you have to figure that if a person has to read the law or read online opinions to decide if something is right or wrong then maybe they don't know the difference to begin with. It is seldom about the law.

This wasn't and isn't about the law. It's about morality.

You learn this stuff when you are a kid. Or ya don't. Some folks don't.

Some maybe ought to stay away from guns.

tipoc
Old April 29, 2014, 08:07 PM   #214
Mike1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoc
Now and again you have to figure that if a person has to read the law or read online opinions to decide if something is right or wrong then maybe they don't know the difference to begin with. It is seldom about the law.

This wasn't and isn't about the law. It's about morality.

You learn this stuff when you are a kid. Or ya don't. Some folks don't.

Some maybe ought to stay away from guns.
I get SO SICK of having to make quotes MANUALLY. It's silly!!

Anyway, I agree except that some folks CAN'T learn right from wrong... at least not in their hearts. Some folks are nothing short of psychopathic like the man who did this heinous crime.
Old April 29, 2014, 08:07 PM   #215
steve4102

^^^

My Question was in response to this,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
This case is a cautionary tale for those who think the law allows them to shoot first and worry about the consequences later.
and this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo

Isn't the "way out the door s "still In commission of a felony"? Does not MN 609.065 justify "Taking of a Life" to stop said Felony?
Old April 29, 2014, 08:11 PM   #216
jimbob86

Quote:
Does not MN 609.065 justify "Taking of a Life" to stop said Felony?
It very well may .... if so, MN, would not be alone in justifying deadly force in defense of property .... and I think that such a thing is a GOOD THING ...... that still does not justify what happened in this case, which amounted to an execution of defeated assailants ....
Old April 29, 2014, 08:24 PM   #217
Oysterboy

Smith may be within his right in killing the burglars and I think there will be an appeal in that regard. What convicted him is the way he carried out the death sentences. He failed to call 911 in a timely manner and he moved the bodies which is a nono.

The mini 14 is a .223 caliber rifle am I correct? A couple of shots from it will surely stop the threat, from the hydraulic shock alone. That's when the stop occurred. Same with the girl but he kept on, leading into murder instead of self defense.

Also he recorded everything that went on which I don't get unless he's got a death wish on himself.

Last edited by Oysterboy; April 29, 2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old April 29, 2014, 08:37 PM   #218
steve4102

Quote:
It ain't over till its over. According to the defense attorney Meshbesher he intends to petition the MN State Supreme Court for a Miss Trial.
Would this go directly to the MN SC? Wouldn't this have to pass several hurdles and appeals Courts before landing in the Lap of the MN SC?
Old April 29, 2014, 09:06 PM   #219
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by steve4102: Isn't the "way out the door s "still In commission of a felony"?
Of course not.
Old April 29, 2014, 09:10 PM   #220
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMarksman
Quote:
Posted by steve4102: Isn't the "way out the door s "still In commission of a felony"?
Of course not.
Why Not?
When doe the Felony Burglary no longer become a Felony Burglary?

Note: "Way out the door" is NOT out side the home, as I read it.

If the BG is outside the Home, then yes, I agree with you, Still inside heading for the door, Nope.
Old April 29, 2014, 09:16 PM   #221
jimbob86

I agree with steve- if MN law says "during commisssion of a felony", fleeing with stolen property is that.

It's the execution of the wounded that is going to hang this guy out to dry.
Old April 29, 2014, 09:16 PM   #222
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by steve4102: If the BG is outside the Home, then yes, I agree with you, Still inside heading for the door, Nope.
Study the subject of fleeing felons, and tell us whether you learn any relevant facts about doors.
Old April 29, 2014, 09:26 PM   #223
Uncle Buck

I think either a lot of people are not understanding the entire case (or maybe I am not understanding the case), but the points that really jump out to me are:

1. He waited for them.
-- He parked his vehicle elsewhere and then walked back to the house.
-- He waited patiently in his basement.
-- He heard them outside the house and did not call anyone.
-- He armed himself fully expecting someone to break into the house.

2. He continued to shoot after the threat had ended.
-- He admits he shot the girl to put her out of her misery.

3. He waited more than 24 hours to notify anyone of what had happened.

I think the case would have turned out differently if it had been a simple case of catching someone breaking in to your house and stopping a felony.

For me, my ideal actions in a case where two people have broken into my house is I retreat to my safe room, call the police and let the intruder know I am home and I am armed. I hope I never have to shoot anyone, ever.
Old April 29, 2014, 09:33 PM   #224
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It ain't over till its over. According to the defense attorney Meshbesher he intends to petition the MN State Supreme Court for a Miss Trial. This Morrison County trial Judge pre-trial instructions to the attorneys. Do not to bring up past police history known about the deceased perpetrator's during Smith's trial
I don't know what grounds he might have for appeal. His statements to police are still in evidence, and he does not contest their presentation of the facts.

Criminal history of the victims isn't particularly relevant, and I don't think that would have helped his case in the face of that.

Quote:
I agree with steve- if MN law says "during commisssion of a felony", fleeing with stolen property is that.
I hope you never have to test that in front of a jury. That said, the reasonableness standard still applies.
Old April 29, 2014, 10:11 PM   #225
jimbob86

Quote:
Study the subject of fleeing felons, and tell us whether you learn any relevant facts about doors.
You sound as if you know a bit about this field .... tell us .... Do the laws of the state where the incident occurred have any bearing in the matter? Or are yo applying the laws you are familiar with universally?
Closed Thread

Tags
home invasion , minnesota , mozambique