The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2010, 05:52 PM   #1
ahanes

OAL for 158 grain SWC?

Guys, ran into a little confusion trying to work up a new load for my .38 Special. I cast up some 158 grain tumble lube SWC's and went to my Lee's Modern Reloading Second Edition, but the data shows a minimum OAL of 1.55 when using 4.1 grains of WIN231. This leaves the bullet barely in the case and won't even fully chamber in my Smith Model 15, just doesn't seem right.

Looking around on the internet for additional data, the OAL is all over the place, though a few others also show 1.55 as the correct OAL. Just eyeballing, 1.48 looks like a good depth, but I'm wondering if I'm going to raise my pressure too much. To add to my confusion, the +P load is 4.5-4.7 grains of WIN231 with an OAL of 1.481...

Bottom line, do you think 4.1 grains of WIN231 at t1.48 OAL is safe (I know, I need to get a chrono)?
Old February 19, 2010, 06:08 PM   #2
hornady

My Lyman cast bullet book gives a OAL of 1.460 for there 158Grain SWC and the charge with Win, 231 is 3.5 to a max of 4.7
Old February 19, 2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The reason the Internet COL's are all over the map is the design of the SWC noses are all over the map. With the tumble lube bullets, I just use the top-most bullet lube groove—the one nearest the nose—to crimp into. As long as the OAL doesn't exceed the SAAMI max (1.55"), you are good to go.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 19, 2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Clark

I have blown up a half dozen 38 specials in experimental work ups.

Do not work up loads, just follow the cook book load books.

What would you be looking for in the work up?
The first crack in the cylinder?
With AA#5, the is the first thing you will see, except small Aluminum frames may bend first, but in strong frames, the cylinder goes first.

Typically the cylinder breaks into two or three pieces and half the time the top strap breaks. The cylinder pieces leave at such a velocity that they put holes in wood and sheet metal.

Working up loads in 357 mag works better, as there is some pressure sign on the brass:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...02ce69fa01e631
Old February 19, 2010, 08:22 PM   #5
ahanes

Not really "working up a load" in the traditional sense, just my first loads with the newly cast bullets. I tried to follow the cookbooks, but their OAL spec didn't work.

I'll try the 1.48 OAL and look for any overpressure signs, but from the replies I think it'll be good.

Thanks to all.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:41 PM   #6
zxcvbob

That bullet loaded to 1.48" will give you less than 15000 psi chamber pressure with 4.1 grains of 231. Muzzle velocity will be about 800 fps from a 4" model 15. 4.5 grains will get you to almost 17000 psi and 875 fps (still not "+P" by anybody's definition, but getting close.) HTH