The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 26, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Mystro

Do you +1 your carry gun?

On my 1911's, I always +1 the gun when I am carrying it. (+1 ='s one round in the chamber and magazine loaded to capacity).
My hi capacity guns that carry more than 13, I really don't +1 much unless I am paranoid that I am going into a hostile environment. After 13 rounds, I am not sure one extra round would make a difference plus when I unload the gun, I don't have a extra round sitting around loosely. Maybe I am getting relaxed after 27 years of CC.
What's your input on the subject????
Old October 26, 2012, 08:49 PM   #2
.243_Shooter

Yeah I carry +1 in my m&p 9c
Old October 26, 2012, 09:19 PM   #3
RBid

Absolutely.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yes. Can't imagine why you wouldn't, with most guns.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Onward Allusion

Um, carrying with chamber empty is akin to carrying an empty gun. The only time I would do that is if I had to pocket carry without a holster. How will the slide get racked if you're fighting off the BG with your other hand/arm? How about using your flashlight to scan the area using your weak side? Gotta fumble with racking before the light is at the ready. . .

Quote:
My hi capacity guns that carry more than 13, I really don't +1 much unless I am paranoid that I am going into a hostile environment.
I've heard many others say this before, but If I know I am going into a hostile environment, I would rather <have backup, call 911, not go - period, have an AK...etc...etc>.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:30 PM   #6
Dragline45

Absolutely. I always top off the mag on my carry guns after I chamber a round, I cant see any reason not to.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:51 PM   #7
egor20

Of course, with the exception of my revolvers.

Although I guess I could get a 7 shot revolver, then I'd be +1 or +2 even.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old October 26, 2012, 09:53 PM   #8
RickB

I +1 my 6-round .45, but not my 13rd 9mm.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:54 PM   #9
sigcurious

Quote:
Um, carrying with chamber empty is akin to carrying an empty gun. The only time I would do that is if I had to pocket carry without a holster. How will the slide get racked if you're fighting off the BG with your other hand/arm? How about using your flashlight to scan the area using your weak side? Gotta fumble with racking before the light is at the ready. . .
I think he meant, he doesn't drop the mag and top if off after chambering, or at least that's how I read it.

I carry +1.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:11 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Empty chamber=empty gun....FOR THE BAZILLIONTH TIME!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 26, 2012, 10:27 PM   #11
Onward Allusion

Quote:
sigcurious
I think he meant, he doesn't drop the mag and top if off after chambering, or at least that's how I read it.

I carry +1.
Ya know - You are right... I had to re-read the post.

Going back to the OP - So, it should be the same as down-loading mag by one with one in the chamber. I prefer to have N+1, but I can understand if someone just carries N with one in the chamber. I've always been taught that after one chambers a round (in a perfect world) one should load a fresh fully loaded magazine rather than pop out the mag and load one more round into the mag. This is for reliability. Not everyone has an extra mag sitting around fully loaded, however.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:54 PM   #12
9mm

Quote:
1 ='s one round in the chamber and magazine loaded to capacity
No, magazine is too bad @ 15 with 1 in the pipe. If you notice when you stick a fully loaded magazine into a gun, the magazine hangs low?

I believe it damages the gun, too much force downward from the slide of the gun, to the magazine/magazine catch/springs in side etc...... I carry 14+1, removed one from the magazine of 15. I have two/three reloads so I do not worry about this extra round, I could see for guys who are 7+1.

I believe I notice it on the Glock, where you put 15 in the magazine the slide raises up due to the force of the magazine.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:04 PM   #13
Yung.gunr

In my P238 or TCP I definitely carry mag+1. They are only six round mags. In my XD9 or 92FS if I need more then 11 I'm so screwed a couple more ain't gonna help. Usually keep them at 10+1.

I'd say it sounds like a good rule of thumb for me is up to 10+1.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:20 PM   #14
zombietactics

Yup, and absolutely no sane reason not to do so.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:23 PM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

Yes.
Old October 27, 2012, 12:03 AM   #16
MLeake

For those saying, "absolutely no reason not to," go read up some on Browning HiPowers and loading 13+1 with original mags. This can (and often did) result in function problems.

So, whether to load +1 or not, IMO, depends on a few factors.

For instance, does the manufacturer recommend loading to capacity +1? (Some owner's manuals advise against doing this.)

Does the weapon have a reputation for proper reliability when loaded to +1?

Assuming the answers to the first two questions are "yes" and "yes", then -

How has your weapon functioned during extended range sessions when consistently loaded to capacity +1?

Oh, and for those yelling at the OP about "an empty chamber is an unloaded gun!" next time try reading more carefully. He never mentioned an empty chamber.

(Edit: He did mention another factor that I do sometimes take into account - if I know I am going to have to unload the gun, I don't like having a loose round. For example, I normally shoot my carry gun at IDPA matches. I know, going in, that I will unload the gun prior to entering the classroom before the match begins, so I don't load +1 if going to IDPA. I do chamber a round, but when I unload, the chambered round has its place in the magazine.)

(Second edit: When this occurs, I unload the mag, and put the previously chambered round in first, so it becomes the last round. This fends off bullet setback for quite a bit longer.)
Old October 27, 2012, 12:46 AM   #17
coolbreezy

i +1 every semi i carry. that split second makes a major league difference if your life is at stake.
S&W highway patrolman 28-2/ Springfield mil spec 1911 (semi custom)/ Sig P220 match elite .45 acp/Kimber micro 9 stainless/ Remington 870 tac14/ Taurus pt22/ S&W 629-1 3" .44 mag/ S&W 629 PC V-Comp/ Beretta M9/ Stevens/Savage 311A 12 ga double bbl/ Magnum research Desert Eagle XIX .44 mag/ S&W 460 xvr/ Glock g40 10mm longslide/ H&K usp compact .45 acp/ Ruger SuperBlackhawk Lipsey Edition/ S&W 686+ 3-5-7 talo edition
Old October 27, 2012, 12:49 AM   #18
Cheapshooter

Quote:
(Some owner's manuals advise against doing this.)
Example please?
I have semi-autos manufactured by Springfield Armory, Walther Taurus, KAHR Arms, Beretta, Browning, and even Hi-Point and I haven't see that in any of the manuals.
I have numerous C&R pistols and couple used ones from Colt and FEG that didn't come with a manual but also function just fine with a fully loaded magazine +1 in the chamber. I don't know if I would want one that the manufacturer says can't have the magazine fully loaded.
Old October 27, 2012, 01:32 AM   #19
9mm

Quote:
Example please
Did you not read my post aswell?

Quote:
I believe I notice it on the Glock, where you put 15 in the magazine the slide raises up due to the force of the magazine

Meaning the slide-frame ratio, magazine overload it pushes up on it[slide] and comes up off frame more.
Old October 27, 2012, 02:02 AM   #20
Cheapshooter

I don't see anything in the Glock manual for my G20 that says not to. I'll get in the safe tomorrow, and load it up just to see. I can't remember having any problems with function, or accuracy with any of my others that I carry. S/A XD40 Subcompact, Ruger LCP. or KAHR CM9. Also a CZ82, and E.German Makarov that have served as "truck" guns in the past. All function tested, accuracy tested, and carried full +1.
I guess if it's a matter of if a full mag goes in OK with a round in the chamber, and the gun functions properly loaded that way, why not!
Old October 27, 2012, 02:29 AM   #21
Cheapshooter

As an additional note I just checked the websites of 3 of my cary guns. Springfield Armory, KAHR Arms, and Ruger. They list the capacity as 9+1 or 12+1 for the Springer. 6+1 for both the Elsie Pea, and the KAHR CM9. I did notice Glock only lists the magazine capacity as does Browning for the Buckmark, and Walther for the P22. Taurus of course with the tip up barrel design of my PT22 Poly lists 8+1
Old October 27, 2012, 02:46 AM   #22
Denezin

Carry what makes you feel comfortable.
Old October 27, 2012, 06:38 AM   #23
doingMach1

Geez, this is as bad as a political discussion...everyone's got an opinion and thinks theirs is right!

Sure, 1 round can make a difference....or not....carry what you want and hope you don't ever have to fire your weapon.

But if you do have to fire your weapon, hope it doesn't take a lot of rounds to get you out of harms way..

And of you weren't able to get out of harms way, hope the perpetrator is hit by a large truck!
Old October 27, 2012, 06:49 AM   #24
federali

It depends

If a fully loaded magazine can be easily loaded under a closed slide, then I'll top off the magazine. If the magazine must be forced in, then I don't. It is that extra degree of force necessary to insert a fully loaded magazine that tends to weaken magazine springs and cause failures to feed or chamber.

Also, police practice three forms of reloading: emergency reload, tactical reload and tactical magazine exchange. The first is with a gun shot dry and in slide lock. The second two bring the gun back to full capacity after an unknown number of rounds have been fired. And yes, don't think you can count your rounds during an actual exchange with a bad guy. So, I may also carry my spare mag one round short if it cannot be easily inserted under a closed slide when loaded to capacity.
Old October 27, 2012, 06:53 AM   #25
Pilot

Magazine at full capacity, round in the chamber on any gun I carry.