The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 06:42 PM   #51
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Yeah, but he couldnt act. Saw a few of his movies with my 9 year old son. Great movies but his acting is a little stiff.
The 'stiff' style was common amongst shows of the 40s and 50s, so he really fit in well with the genre of the time. Cooper and Cagney were also of the period and similarly stiff actors, but big names. Of course, Cooper and Cagney didn't serve in the military.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:05 AM   #52
Dragline45

Quote:
The 'stiff' style was common amongst shows of the 40s and 50s, so he really fit in well with the genre of the time. Cooper and Cagney were also of the period and similarly stiff actors, but big names. Of course, Cooper and Cagney didn't serve in the military.
Totally agree, that style of acting was common for those times. Dragnet is a perfect example. Even some of the great actors of that time like Yul Brynner could come off as stiff, and hes a damn legend. Of course there were always the exceptions like Gene Kelley and Fred Astaire.

Last edited by Dragline45; February 7, 2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:40 AM   #53
Truth Addict

Bruce Willis spoke out

Since "Die Hard 5" is coming out, Willis was asked about his views on gun control in an interview. I'm surprised a liberal media website like Yahoo even reported it. Although they also mention Stallone being anti again in the same piece. I will definitely be seeing DH5.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...174952291.html
Old February 7, 2013, 05:57 PM   #54
markj

Quote:
How does one carry four guns?
Use your imagination. 1 on the belt, 1 in a shoulder holster, 1 on the ankle, 1 middle back carry. My unc carried 6 while on duty.

Watch this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy0_QTp84GU
Old February 7, 2013, 06:15 PM   #55
horatioo

Johny Depp made movies about pirates but is apparently anti pirate in real life, add his name to the hypocrite list.

There is nothing hypocritical about making movies with guns and being against guns.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:41 PM   #56
Edward429451

Stallone being anti gun isn't the best reason to boycott him. So many lame movies and poor acting skills.

I didn't see him on the list at the NRA but I'm sure I read that Matt Damon is anti gun also.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:11 PM   #57
Justice06RR

There are certain topics and real life issues that matter to the movie fans regarding the actors/actresses they will support. Some topics may not be a big deal, i.e. pirates, medicine, history, etc.

Other topics may be more important than others; 2A rights for example, or freedom of religion, or pro/anti-abortion, etc. because they actually matter to the movie-goer.

In regards to Stallone (or any action/firearms actor) and being anti-gun, he will be seen as a hypocrite along with others who are on the same boat.

If Chuck Norris or Steven Segal were anti- self defense then I would stop supporting them also.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:14 PM   #58
Edward429451

Steven Segal is anti-gun.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:35 AM   #59
Double Naught Spy

Yeah, Segal likes his guns, but doesn't like others to have them.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:23 AM   #60
MLeake

Segal is hardly an exemplar for anything I'd value.

I credit him with inspiring my initial interest in aikido, but his persona, his later movies, and his moments in the press have really turned me off to the man.
Old February 12, 2013, 04:12 AM   #61
Justice06RR

So which popular actor is Pro-Gun?

Bruce Willis? Will Smith? how about Tom Cruise?
Old February 12, 2013, 04:47 AM   #62
Ben Towe

Quote:
So which popular actor is Pro-Gun?

Bruce Willis? Will Smith? how about Tom Cruise?
I believe Bruce Willis is. I've heard both ways on Kevin Costner. Robert Duvall is, I believe. Tom Selleck is. Robert Downey Jr. has indicated he leans to the right, but I've never seen him comment on guns in particular. Ice T has indicated he is pro gun. Of course, Chuck Norris is. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie both are. Whoopi Goldberg has indicated in the past that she was, but is reported to now be supporting a new AWB. Johnny Depp is. Christian Slater is. Kurt Russell is.
Old March 24, 2013, 04:54 PM   #63
Matno

Re: Time to boycott Stallone

Jerry Mathers is very Pro-gun. Nice to know the ultimate American son (The Beaver) is truly American!
Old March 24, 2013, 05:59 PM   #64
Lucas McCain

Rumor has it that when "Bluebloods" is done Sellecks running for Pres. of the NRA.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:52 PM   #65
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618
And Joe does good work for military families that have special needs kids. He's a good guy.

He's also the only guy on "Criminal Minds" that carries a real gun now.
I haven't watched Criminal Minds for two or three seasons, at least. If the other Fibbies don't carry real guns now, what do they carry -- phasers?
Old March 24, 2013, 08:03 PM   #66
SPEMack618

Quote:
I haven't watched Criminal Minds for two or three seasons, at least. If the other Fibbies don't carry real guns now, what do they carry -- phasers?
That was an attempt at a joke. Joe's character carries a Government Model, and ever since the genius traded in his Smith revovler, the rest of the team carries a Glock.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:24 AM   #67
steve666

Carrey mocks Heston

I just read in an article that super-tool Jim Carrey has released a new video mocking the late Charlton Heston and gun-owners. Just another reason for me not to like him.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:34 AM   #68
cvc944

Quote:
Yeah, Segal likes his guns, but doesn't like others to have them.
I'll bet there is a lot of that going on! I remember Jack Lord of Hawaii 5-0 fame. He hated guns! Nobody needs guns! On and on and on. Then he gets caught with his Browning Renaissance. OOOOPS! Smack him, Danno.
Old March 26, 2013, 11:32 AM   #69
steve666

It's not so much that they are against guns, they are just against people other than them having them.
Old March 27, 2013, 11:20 PM   #70
Justice06RR

^ That is basically an oxymoron for actors.

Its like saying you like driving but are against people owning cars. Owning firearms is a right, driving is just a priveledge (only stated driving for example purposes).

Or that you like food but are against people having food...
Old March 28, 2013, 05:22 AM   #71
xtphreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
If anyone thinks William Shatner is a good actor, they should see The White Cheyanne. He couldn't act back then either.

Gary Cooper was a avid gun collector.

BTW, boycott Stallone because he can't act anyway.
But Shatner is funny as hell in Boston Legal as a 2A supporting senior partner in a big Boston law firm.

Google the youtube clip of Denny Crane attempted mugging in a parking lot

Holy Fecal Matter!

"Gimme your watch & wallet sucker"

"Watch.
Wallet.
Gun.
Right knee. BANG.
Left knee. BANG."

Another episode he took out a bad guy in a hostage situation with an AR-7 he kept in his office.

Last edited by xtphreak; March 28, 2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old March 28, 2013, 12:42 PM   #72
kkutskill

Hypocrisy? YES! Anyone who makes their money and fame off guns in movies, then use that notoriety and $$$ to speak out anti-2A is a hypocrite in my book.

Stallone wouldn't be in a position to make his anti-gun statements to the masses if it weren't for movies like Rambo & such. Well, he could make the statements, but nobody would know who he was or care what he said.

If Stallone is has such strong anti-2A sentiments, he should start making movies that don't involve guns. Where he's sensitive, romantic, and maybe sings. Oh wait, he did that already with Dolly Parton in "Rhinestone". And we know how great THAT movie was.
Old March 29, 2013, 02:21 PM   #73
coldbeer

His last movie was called "Bullet to the Head" The hypocrisy exhibited is beyond ridiculous but is quite typical of Hollywood lately.
Old March 29, 2013, 05:39 PM   #74
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Joe Mantegna yet.
Joe's the reason I watch Criminal Minds. He's great on MidwayUSA's Gun Stories, on Outdoor channel.
Quote:
Rumor has it that when "Bluebloods" is done Sellecks running for Pres. of the NRA.
'Bout time. Been suggesting that for years.