The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 1, 2010, 04:24 PM   #1
JC5503

ATI top folding stock

Ive seen a lot of controversy over the top folding stock made by ATI and wanted to post my opinion on it. I ended up with one on a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5 barrel, Its still growing on me because I always had full stocks on my shotguns and when at trainings we used the speed feed stocks. I think its very handy as far as storage goes and the recoil on my shoulder isn't bad at all however a cheek weld is pretty much impossible to have because the narrowness of the stock is really painful lol. The top knuckle of my thumb hits when I shoot, also that makes for a nuisance and it gets painful with slugs and buckshot. The stock overall seems to be sturdy even though its made of plastic, it actually seems sturdier than the original synthetic stock that came on the gun. As far as accuracy goes a shotgun with an 18.5 barrel is made for close encounters and pointing with buckshot, so to me im not really looking for anything spectacular out of it as far as throwing slugs. Also to address the issue of "the stock blocks the safety on my 500" that Ive seen so many complaints about, We keep our pumps at what we call "cruiser ready" which means we shut the chamber and pull the trigger with no round in it thus leaving the chamber empty and the slide free to be cocked, we then load five rounds in the magazine and place it in the rack. That way we just grab the gun pump it and were ready for whatever the threat may be. Ive also read about people saying that you have to adjust you grip or it blocks the slide release on a 500, Ive found that if I use my thumb to work the release it goes better than when I had the original stock on it, its quicker and easier to do. Overall im happy with the stock and think its a good product, I cant say what it would be like with the adapter installed for an 870 or something like that though it may be more loose, It sits flush on my 500.

Tags
500 , ati , stock , top folding