The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 17, 2013, 07:40 PM   #51
jimbob86

Quote:
People have been killed by single punches. You don't need guns, just fists.
People have been killed by the common cold, too.

In a fight, I'd rather not rely on it.

I like my 9mm, as a MINIMUM.

.... and to the guy that asked:

Quote:
If you knew a 100% that you were going to get in a gun fight but could only bring a hand gun that could be concealed and something you could lug around all day what would it be? That's what you should carry.

.... I'd bring a reason to be elsewhere, and do just that.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:53 PM   #52
GeauxTide

Quote:
the .22 magunm with the proper bullet is more effective than the .38 special 150 grain lead round nose inside 10 yards.
bwwwwaaaahhhhhhaaaaahhhhhhhh:d
Old January 17, 2013, 08:00 PM   #53
jimbob86

Quote:
the .22 magunm with the proper bullet is more effective than the .38 special 150 grain lead round nose inside 10 yards.
Damned by faint praise, that ..... ain't that what the Georgia lady planted 5 of 6 in the head and neck of the home invader, and he ran out of the house and drove away?

All handguns are underpowered ..... don't compound the problem with a tiny caliber.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:58 AM   #54
Glock19Fan

From a rifle, I do believe the .22WMR would be much more effective than a standard velocity LRN .38 special. However, becuase we are talking about short barreled handguns, this does not hold true.

From a handgun, the .22WMR is AT BEST performing like standard ammunition from a .22LR rifle. When you factor in capacity, cost, noise, and flash, the .32ACP or .380ACP is the much better choice.

Last edited by Glock19Fan; January 18, 2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old January 18, 2013, 04:06 AM   #55
therealdeal

my lousy nickel's worth

I do feel the 38 is getting a bad wrap due to that recent GA newstory & I feel it is unwarranted. the 38 is a great piece; it just does better with the good ammo. The fact also remains that the 5 hit shots could have been grazes, one bullet hitting twice(chin then earlobe as only a random, non-confirmed example), or basically many possibilities.

I will also add that people are trying to use the story as proof that the 5 shot 38 is not enough, yet on the contary the story proves that the 38 GOT THE JOB DONE HANDS DOWN......the would haves, could haves, etc don't mean squat. the 38 HD weapon saved her life and was more than enough. there is actually evidence that she did NOT have to fire every shot but chose to do so.

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old January 18, 2013, 04:09 AM   #56
therealdeal

something is better than nothing...I choose 357

I do not recommend a 22 for CCW but maybe as a backup belly gun. they come in handy with the pepperspray if some mut tries to injure a child or something as well while out for a walk or something

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old January 18, 2013, 09:53 AM   #57
jimbob86

Quote:
I do feel the 38 is getting a bad wrap due to that recent GA newstory & I feel it is unwarranted. the 38 is a great piece; it just does better with the good ammo. The fact also remains that the 5 hit shots could have been grazes, one bullet hitting twice(chin then earlobe as only a random, non-confirmed example), or basically many possibilities.

I will also add that people are trying to use the story as proof that the 5 shot 38 is not enough, yet on the contary the story proves that the 38 GOT THE JOB DONE HANDS DOWN......
It got the job done ..... because the home invader was not real determined: she shot her six, and he was begging her to stop shooting him. She could not have shot him again if she wanted to, as the gun was empty ...... he just was not in any mood to think of that .... so it was a "psychological stop"- he stopped going after because he wanted to, not because he was unable to, and could have just as easily became enraged and beat her to death with her empty gun, as he had enough energy to run out the house and drive away....

Quote:
the 38 is a great piece; it just does better with the good ammo.
All guns work better with the good ammo.
Old January 19, 2013, 01:53 AM   #58
Cowboyflyer

Sometimes you just can't Carrie a big gun. little magnum is better than nothing.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:25 AM   #59
therealdeal

jim

Quote:
It got the job done ..... because the home invader was not real determined: she shot her six, and he was begging her to stop shooting him. She could not have shot him again if she wanted to, as the gun was empty ...... he just was not in any mood to think of that .... so it was a "psychological stop"- he stopped going after because he wanted to, not because he was unable to, and could have just as easily became enraged and beat her to death with her empty gun, as he had enough energy to run out the house and drive away....
jim you dont know where the shots hit(grazes as an example).

either way your reply is sort of speculation. it seems upsurd that you feel this guy was stopped because he 'was in his own head'. more likely the very little time he had to think or utter anything he was just hoping she would stop firing. I am sure he thought he would die.

also more likely is victim kept firing which some people do sometimes(sometimes wrongly and sometimes rightly like this case). there is no evidence she had to fire every shot.

Last edited by therealdeal; January 20, 2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: forgot to quote text in original reply/post
Old January 19, 2013, 09:24 AM   #60
rodfac

It may be better than nothing, but if you're going to spend the money, get a better caliber for SD. Too, if you're buying the .22 Magnum for use as a practice, low cost option, with SD carry as a 2ndary aim, you lose on both counts, it's expensive to shoot and underpowered for SD use. If you're buying it for the low recoil signature...training will get you past recoil issues....Good luck, but buy a bigger caliber for SD use. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:55 PM   #61
BGutzman

You can imagine 22 Magnum is great for whatever, it doesn't make it so.. I know of no reputable gun training facility that espouses that 22 Magnum is good choice...

You have obviously chosen it and that's fine, enjoy it. But if you really want to know what's what youtube is only a few keystrokes away... I would have posted a few links but seriously I think you made the decision before you presented the question.. Your right and your choice...

I know of no military force in the world that carries 22 Magnum as a combat round... hummmm makes you wonder why? Best of luck.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:57 AM   #62
Glenn E. Meyer

Maybe that is because no military has special forces composed of elderly arthritic people.

This is getting a touch boring.

The basic principle is to shoot the most efficacious round you can shoot well.

The addendum is that sometimes carry conditions or BUG usage, necessitate a smaller gun like a NAA mini.

Is there anything else?
Old January 22, 2013, 06:28 PM   #63
seeker_two

Quote:
I know of no military force in the world that carries 22 Magnum as a combat round... hummmm makes you wonder why?
But many militaries carried the .38S&W, .32ACP & .380ACP as military sidearms. Does that make them optimal choices?
Old January 22, 2013, 07:06 PM   #64
Glenn E. Meyer

They did for the purpose of the side arm. It was an oh, crap gun and not a Sherman or Panzer stopper.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:47 PM   #65
BGutzman

Quote:
But many militaries carried the .38S&W, .32ACP & .380ACP as military sidearms. Does that make them optimal choices?
Notice all the 3x's in your question? None of them start with a 2X... A pistol is never a best choice in the military, its usually carried by officers or senior NCOs. A military pistol is under the usual definition is a defensive only weapon, unless your part of some special whatever. Use whatever is legal and suits you, your life and your choice.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:48 PM   #66
Doc TH

If you search for recorded velocities of the 22 mag vs 22LR from 4-5 inch barrels, you will find that the 22LR will give 900-1100 fps, the higher number usually with lighter (32 gr) rounds. In the same barrel length the 22 mag will give an average of 1350-1400 fps with 40 grain loads. So, the 22 mag has significantly greater MV than does a 22LR in small to midsize handguns.
However, short barrels -2-3" will lower MV to the point where the advantage over 22LR is probably not relevant for SD. No question that the 22 mag is best as a rifle round. Can it be effectively used for SD? - Yes. Is it the best choice? - Probably not; it is distinctly inferior to a 38 spcl wadcutter round. It is foolish to speculate whether the "5 shots to the head" story suggests inadequacy of the 38 special without knowing many more details, as other posters have pointed out.