The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 17, 2008, 11:46 PM   #1
stacy4422

removing the firing pin spring on my ppks

I Just got a new firing pin spring for my ppk, But Im not sure how to remove the old spring
Old August 18, 2008, 12:17 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

The safety/decock lever comes off.

Remove the slide and put the safety in the "fire" position.

Using a small screwdriver, push the firing pin forward from the underside of the slide until you can see the back end of the firing pin. Hold the firing pin in place.

Now, using another small screwdriver, pry the safety lever off. The safety lever detent will want to fly out the back of the slide, so keep something over the back of the slide to prevent losing small parts. Also, the extractor will probably fall out since the other side of the detent spring is what retains it.

You will have to wiggle the safety lever back and forth, but it will come out of the slide and when it does, the firing pin can be easily removed.

To reinstall.

Push the firing pin forward and slide the lever into place while holding the extractor in position. The lever won't go all the way in because of the detent. Using a small screwdriver, push the detent forward and at the same time push the lever all the way into the slide. You may have to try that a couple of times before everything works right.