The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 8, 2013, 12:49 AM   #1
Tangentabacus

Opinions? IWI Israeli made .9mm.

For partial trade selling a snowmachine I got an IWI Israeli made .9mm. On the right side it says "MADE IN ISRAEL H3" and "Magnum Research Inc Pillager MN USA" On the left it says "Desert Eagle Pistol Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) LTD. It says IWI on both sides of the grip.

I have a few questions as I know nothing about the gun:
Is it a good gun?
What would you pay barely used?
I have an AR and wanted to get a Beretta .9mm to go with it but is this any better?
Should I trade or sell for another pistol?

Thanks!
Old April 8, 2013, 12:51 AM   #2
Tangentabacus

Forgot to mention it's got a polymer grip.
Old April 8, 2013, 01:46 AM   #3
Haz251

You sir can now refer to yourself as a proud owner of a Baby Desert Eagle AKA Jericho 941. I've had 1 for a few years and love it. Right now they are going between 550-600 brand new. In regards to being better than a Beretta well it's hard to say. I don't have any real experience with the beretta but let me tell u bout the Baby Deagle. They weigh roughly 30 ounces with an unloaded mag (yup kinda heavy for a polymer gun). They work off of a short recoil locking cam action and were designed off the CZ-75B (notice how the slide rides inside the frame rails). Standard mags from magnum research says they only hold 15 rounds in fact they will hold 17. Pick up some CZ-75B mags from mec gar with the AFC coating. Its got that aggresive curved trigger for two reasons: to accomadate gloves and so that when you fire in double action your finger stays put on the trigger and doesnt slide around. It has a very steep feed ramp much unlike other handguns. it has a full length guide rod. Meprolight sells night sights and only Meprolight. The double action trigger is between 10-13 pounds and single action around 5 pounds.you are going to be hard pressed to find a more accurate handgun. You are also going to be hard pressed to find accessories. If you want a carry holster Magnum Research has some on their website for sell but IMO they seem kinda pricey to be off brand. I suggest a custom kydex. I also have the polymer frame version. So believe me when I say it is hard to keep clean. All those little grooves is gonna fill up with grime. It may take a while for you to get used to the downward swept beavertail but I promise after a while you will love it. Beware though at first it will irritate the hell outta your hand. You may wanna get some 3M step and ladder tape and slap some on there for increased grip. I'll give you a warning.... Prepare for ppl asking you about your gun at the range. Lets face it... It's pretty damn sexy and it shoots a hell of a tight grouping. If you have any questions just send me my way sir.

Last edited by Haz251; April 8, 2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old April 8, 2013, 04:41 AM   #4
Tangentabacus

Thanks for the great info. My only thing against it is the polymer grip. These things pretty durable? That's pretty important to me.
Old April 8, 2013, 05:27 AM   #5
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangentabacus View Post
Thanks for the great info. My only thing against it is the polymer grip. These things pretty durable? That's pretty important to me.
The Jericho/BDE is a durable gun, and modern polymer in general is as durable or more so than metal for the most part.

It's a good, solid pistol, if a bit quixotic. You could have done a lot worse. It'll serve you well for a long time if you keep it, and if you decide you'd rather have a Beretta PX4 or 92 (which I'd understand, Beretta being my favorite brand) it'll get you most of the way to a trade.
Old April 8, 2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Haz251

So I seem ur response asking about durability and I decided what the hell ill just show him (note that I'm currently reading this on an iPad while still laying in bed...... Yup I woke up and went straight to thefiringline.com) but anyways sorry it's not the greatest pic but yea. I ripped a corner of the sheets off and snapped it just for you. That's 3 years worth of EVERYDAY where and tear. The finish is the only thing that's been affected and even then it's just barely showing (was going to get it cerekoted but decided that my finish showing wear is just proof to strangers that there's a pretty good chance that I know wat I'm doing).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (244.3 KB, 272 views)
Old April 8, 2013, 08:51 AM   #7
PointOneSeven

They are outstanding pistols. I personally wouldn't feel bad dropping $450 on a lightly used model.

I know what you mean about the hesitation with plastic. It took me some time to get used to'alloy' frames and all the plastic bits in pistols of recent decades. I think I'm even comfortable with the new plastic frame semi-autos and revolvers, and that's not something I would have said a few years ago. They are plenty durable for their intended purposes. I wouldn't build a fence or reshingle a house with one, but they shoot fine.
Old April 8, 2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Kevin_d77

Is yours the steel frame w polymer grips or the all polymer frame?
Old April 8, 2013, 09:52 AM   #9
LED

+1 on the merits of this pistol. (I owned one under the name Uzi Eagle. Magnum Research, as someone wrote, has milked the Eagle thing dry). Double action trigger was not to my liking, stiff and gritty. But there is much more to like about this pistol, including the CZ slide pattern (actually the SIG P210).
Old April 8, 2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Tangentabacus

Thanks for the pic! Looks like it wears well compared to other very reputable pistols I've seen.

And I have an all polymer frame sadly. :'(

Just hesitant to hold onto it too long if a Beretta 9 series pistol is what I'm looking for, but the longer I have this thing the more I like it honestly.

Another question: If I decide to keep it what holsters you guys got?

Again thanks for all the input!
Old April 8, 2013, 12:31 PM   #11
LED

Some training facilities have banned the Blackhawk Serpa holsters because of the trigger finger operated release button. I don't like it either, but tastes differ.

I prefer Kydex for material, and a thumb release if you want a retainer. Mine are non retaining Bladetech holsters. They fit as flush as it gets for OWB. You can add an optional offset attachment for competitive shooting. I cannot comment on the IWB holsters for your Eagle, because I don't use them for this size semiauto v
Old April 8, 2013, 10:35 PM   #12
Garycw

They're nice pistols and the rifling is Poloygonal which is supposed to create higher velocities and maybe accuracy too. Mine is polymer in .40 cal. They do sell the holsters for them on eBay that are made in Israel. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is the slide mounted safety.
Old April 8, 2013, 10:41 PM   #13
TunnelRat

I always wanted to try one. I would prefer a decocker only instead of the decocker/safety, but they're handsome pistols and from what I've heard great shooters. Get one and then get a Tavor to go with it.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 8, 2013, 11:50 PM   #14
Tangentabacus

Thanks for all the input and such!

Decided today I'm going to keep it AND get a beretta
Old April 9, 2013, 12:00 AM   #15
Haz251

Hells yea man!!!!! I like the way you think sir
Old April 9, 2013, 12:22 AM   #16
Tangentabacus

Indeed! After going around and trying on a few new guns I couldn't get over the beefy and yet slim feel of the eagle. I wish I could get a threaded barrel for it though.

Otherwise it's kinda grown on me.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:24 PM   #17
Haz251

I'm not entirely sure about this but I believe you can. Go to the CZ parts shop and they has a 6 inch extended barrel for a CZ 75B and they look identical. If it fits (call around and find out) snap that puppy up have it threaded and then send me some pics of it cause I'm thinking I want one too!!!
Old April 12, 2013, 08:54 AM   #18
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure about this but I believe you can. Go to the CZ parts shop and they has a 6 inch extended barrel for a CZ 75B and they look identical.
Although the Baby Eagle is a CZ-pattern design, and originally based on Tanfoglio-made components, almost NOTHING (except magazines and recoil springs) can be interchanged with a CZ.

That includes barrels, which are subtly different, triggers, pins, hammers, sights, grips, screws, pins, other springs, etc. All of the internal parts are all made to a different spec. set and don't interchange. The same is true of Tanfoglio-made guns, like the Witness line and their likely interchangeability with CZ stuff. These guns all look and feel a bit alike, but they are quite different.

Some Tanfoglio parts MIGHT work with the Baby Eagle, and a call to the EAA parts department might be worthwhile.
Old January 7, 2016, 11:32 AM   #19
flwolf

Baby Desert Eagle 9mm

I love my Baby!!!

It fits nicely in my big hand and shooting it is a pleasure. I read in one of the other replies that the 15 round mag would take 17. Hmmm... not sure if that's a fact, but I'll try it out. Although, if 15+1 shots don't stop any attacker(s), two more won't probably either.
Old January 8, 2016, 11:38 AM   #20
Jagrbomb

That is one awesome looking gun. Only version of the CZ75 that I like.

I would have bought one many times over, but there is no rubber grip panels made for the gun. Hogue makes wrap arounds with finger grooves - but no plain rubber panels.
Old January 10, 2016, 07:36 AM   #21
P-35HP

My opinion based on personal experience:
An excellent gun,well build, accurate, almost perfect ergonomics (the all metal Jericho is better in this aspect), 100% reliable.
Magnum Research customer service is very good. Spare parts are currently available from Magnum Research. IWI-US, the current importer, has no spare parts.
Specific accessories are hard to find and/or expensive. I found that some SIG 226 and Glock holsters may fit quite well. Magazine are available and not too costy. Any standard magazine holder should do.

Last edited by P-35HP; January 10, 2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old January 10, 2016, 08:21 AM   #22
P-35HP

Attached is a link to an YouTube IWI clip showing the Jericho operation under extreme conditions. The video is pretty good, but the music, well is....

https://youtu.be/7V1NPQRuywA
Old February 16, 2016, 10:27 AM   #23
Garycw

I had one in .40cal. Didn't like the slide mounted safety and sold it. Holsters aren't the easiest to find either.
Old February 16, 2016, 08:18 PM   #24
Independent George

The Baby Eagle is indeed a fine gun, but the name is far inferior to 'Jericho 941'.

Why, oh why, did it get renamed?
Old February 17, 2016, 09:12 AM   #25
Walt Sherrill

Baby Eagle is arguably an allusion to "Desert Eagle," a completely different handgun with a "super-gun" reputation that many vaguely know about. Jericho is a much less familiar name here in the U.S.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 17, 2016 at 03:54 PM.