The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 6, 2011, 11:36 PM   #1
muskie4570

Removing a Rem 700 muzzle brake?

I have a Rem 700 BDL SS DM-B in .338 Win Mag. The factory muzzle brake works well for reducing recoil but it's too loud to shoot without hearing protection even for one shot while hunting. I've decided that I'd rather have the higher recoil than to try flip on protection before a shot in the field.
Does anyone know if these factory brakes from Remington are threaded and therefore removable?

Thanks
Old February 7, 2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Scorch

Yes, they are threases. You will need a thread protector to keep from damaging the threads after removing the brake.
Old February 7, 2011, 08:57 AM   #3
smoakingun

even without a brake that cartridge is too loud. Have you thought about electronic muffs? Because of hunting without hearing protection, and exposure to other noises, the ringing I now hear all the time is far more inconvenient than having to wear hearing protection in the field. A good set of electronic muffs will amplify the normal sounds of the forrest around you, protect you when you fire the shot, and, as a bonus, keep your ears warm in winter.
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old February 7, 2011, 11:06 AM   #4
muskie4570

Thanks for the feedback on the electronic protection. I'm going to check it out.

Any tips on specifically how to remove the threaded brake? I don't have a barrel vise so I'm wondering if I can clamp on the recoil lug. I assume I'll need some heat from a propane torch. Any tips from experience would be much appreciated.
Old February 7, 2011, 11:42 AM   #5
Scorch

The best way to remove the muzzle brake is to clamp the barrel immediately behind the brake in a barrel vise and turn the brake counterclockwise. If you do not have a barrel vise, you can use two pieces of hardwood (like maple) that have a groove the same diameter as the barrel in each half and clamp the barrel between them in a bench vise. Do not clamp the recil lug and try to use it as a leverage point.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:41 PM   #6
natman

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=103666

Highly recommended for hunting.

Tags
remington muzzle brake