The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 6, 2011, 12:14 PM   #1
k31

how deep should an action be bed

i am working on a stock for a swiss k31 7.5x55. i was looking at the action the other day and noticed the i could work the wood an set in the major components of the action and still keep the barrel a hairs breath off of the wood without cutting a barrel channel. how deep does it have to be before it hurts the performance of the rifle? as a worse case scenario will it break out of the stock the way i have it now? so far every thing fits tight and snug and there is no slop, i just want sure if i had to set it as far down as the original sock
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 18.jpeg (5.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpeg 19.jpeg (7.1 KB, 31 views)
Old February 6, 2011, 01:15 PM   #2
HiBC

I generally have the top edge of the forend at horizontal center of the barrel,but that is not the important issue.
I do not know the k31 you are working with,but generally,on a bolt gun,you have the trigger guard/magazine,etc.Lets call that the bottom metal.It has to fit the top metal when the whole thing is assembled.It is not going to work out if the stock keeps the mag box 1/4 in from the receiver.It is also not going to work out if the receiver is being stressed,flexed,or bent as the guard screws are tightened.
Take your action,with no wood,and assemble it with the guard screws.
That is what you want,sitting in the wood.
Value the experience as an education!
Old February 6, 2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Scorch

Barrel centerline.
Old February 7, 2011, 01:58 AM   #4
k31

every thing fits fine it is snug but not too tight more secure then snug
it has a detachable mag and it will not have the original lower metal with the exception of the trigger. i will also be using different screws so the fitting of the top and bottom isnt too important as long as they fit tight and secure.
the mag well is enclosed in the stcock. it is originally a detachable mag so i simply keep the mag attached and set it in the stock.
what is barrel center line?? is that simply what it say keeping it center of the stock? and yes i have been treating this as an education to the point that i have documented every step in as much detail as i can and have even taken pics and made notes. the stock you see in the pic above is a pine mock up so i can learn for cheap i plan to do this for a few other rifles but chose the k31 simply so i could put a center mounted scope on that action. to mount a a scope for this action will cost me 400$+ or i must use a side mount.
to eliminate the cost of option 1, i decided that a bull pup stock would be best. the bullpup will allow the rear leaf sight to be close enough that a scout mount would have around the same eye relief as a standard scope mount. so fare i have 85$ invested in this project including the soft maple i will use for the real thing. after i buy the scout mount recoil and pad i will have only invested 180$ tops in a very practical hunting stock, while keeping the rifle in unaltered condition. when it is done i will post a thread of the completed project with details of the tools and work as well as pictures of the steps from start to finish. not sure i like the idea of a bullpup hunting rifle but it it works out i cant complain and if it doesnt i am out 180$ that would have been spent on woodworking classes any ways

Last edited by k31; February 7, 2011 at 02:16 AM.