The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2011, 09:39 PM   #1
xraygunlover

Springfield milspec

I have a 1911 Springfield milspec and I'm looking into installing a new skeletonized hammer and beavertail grip safety. Anyone have any info on what parts I can get that will be completely drop in and where to get them?
Old January 25, 2011, 10:52 PM   #2
kyshooter35

Really there no such thing as a true drop in part, in most cases it don't require as much fitting. I would look at Wilson combat parts.Check out youtube there is probably videos on this subject.
Old January 26, 2011, 12:31 AM   #3
drail

There REALLY are NO drop in parts. A handgun is a system of moving parts. They have to be fitted to each other. If you change one or two parts you will change how all of them interact. Changing a hammer will affect the sear and the thumb safety. Changing a thumb safety will usually result in a pistol that either won't go on safe or will go on yet still fire if dropped. It's not rocket science but if you don't understand how all of it works together you can get into trouble fairly quickly. Read some books until you see how this all works. As said above it's not hard to do but you HAVE to know where to file and stone and how much. Exactly how much. And how to function check what you just changed. Sure, there's LOTS of folks out there selling "drop in" parts and every one of them will come in a package with a warning to the effect of "requires fitting by a knowledgeable gunsmith and we're not responsible for anything". "drop in" is just a marketing term. If you want a reliable safe firearm you need to entrust the work to someone who knows how to do it right. I tell you this as an retired smith who doesn't want to see you get into trouble.
Old February 4, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4
rptrower

Here is my Mil-Spec with a Wilson Gov. drop-in GS. Notice the 3/16" gap between the frame tangs and the hammer rest on the GS.

Here is the same M-S with a Wilson Commander GS that requires some fitting on the GS but no work on the frame.

Springfield 1911s have a different frame radius at the GS/TS pin hole and the frame tangs are shaped slightly different than other 1911s.

As the above post mentioned, there are VERY few parts that will drop-in a 1911 and give you totally safe operation. All parts in the 1911 ignition & safety group interact & rely on other parts for safe operation. If you good with tools you can likely change the parts. Before you start do a lot of reading and learn how the 1911 functions. Below are some links to reference material on 1911s. At present the "Smithing" section of the 1911forum.com is down for maint. It should be back soon.

http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php
http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1..._A_SHOP_MANUAL
Old February 6, 2011, 02:46 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

"..."drop in" is just a marketing term..." Yep. It means the parts are undersize and will be sloppy. Changing the hammer also means you have to do the trigger job again.
Old February 6, 2011, 09:43 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

start with the Kuhnhausen manual

www.brownells.com