The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 1, 2011, 09:02 PM   #1
POKEYJOE04

Ithaca 37 Feed Problem

I have an Ithaca 37 20 Gauge that fails to feed from the magazine about half the time I work the action, even when I work it rather vigerously. Is there some kind of adjustment that is needed?
Old February 1, 2011, 11:03 PM   #2
Hog Buster

It could be a number of things, but what comes to mind first is that you’ve got some crud under the shell stop. That’s the bar that stops the shell from coming out of the magazine when you load it.

Looking at the gun from the bottom, it’s on the right side of the receiver. Pump the gun and make sure the stop moves enough to let the shell slide out of the magazine. If it doesn't there may be trash behind it.

If it is gunked up shoot some air or cleaner in the groove it fits in and wash it out. Be careful there’s a small spring behind the shell stop so don’t dig it out while trying to clean it.

If clean it should be easily pushed completely into the groove and the spring should push it back out. Try doing it with your finger.

All the above should be done while the bolt is closed. If this doesn't solve it’s failure to feed at least you have eliminated one potential problem.

Of course this is just an educated guess. If the gun has some age it may be wear and tear on other parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m37schematic.jpg (126.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Hog Buster; February 1, 2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Adding Picture
Old February 2, 2011, 11:38 AM   #3
POKEYJOE04

Thanks, I appreciate your help. I'll check it out.