The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 30, 2011, 08:41 PM   #1
xjdefx

Educate Me - Kahr TP45 Issue

I just got a Kahr TP45. It was previously owned by someone before me, but swore he only put 14 rounds through it since new. I read everything on the internet I could find and the manual as well and am aware Kahr recommends a 200 round break in, but my issue doesn't seem like break in (though it could be).

This is the problem:
When I load any Hornady Critical Defense load in it, it will not go anywhere near battery. It is at least a 1/4 inch out, then to extract the round takes a ridiculous amount of strength. If I load Double Tap, I can get it into battery, but extraction still requires quite a bit of effort (though not as much).

I went to the range today, with a box of Federal FMJ, and the gun operated fine, smooth into battery, slide extracting easily. So I stopped and picked up some Winchester white box personal protection JHP. These rounds operate super smooth, the TP45 loves it. No issues with going to battery or rough operation of the slide. Go back to Hornady, no good, same issues as before.

The question:
When comparing the cases I cant see any differences, but the slightest overall height difference between Winchester and the 2 Hornady's. What part of the gun needs to "tuned" to make it feed the Hornady stuff?

It's not that I just HAVE to use Hornady, just that it strikes me as odd the gun won't feed it. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Old February 2, 2011, 07:32 AM   #2
MW surveyor

I really can't help you on exactly why the gun won't go into battery with the rounds you are talking about as I do not own a TP45.

I do suggest that you go to kahrtalk and post there. Good group of guys and gals that will help you out.

Jim
Old February 2, 2011, 09:45 AM   #3
stu925

It sounds to me like the Cartridge Overall Length on the hornady ammo is too long for the Kahr's chamber. I've never seen the issue with factory ammo before but I have seen it with reloads. Had exactly the same issue with my reloads in a friend's Springfield XD 45. Basically the bullet gets forced into the rifling and sticks in the barrel when chambered which is why it would be difficult to extract. Take a look at the bullets on the chambered Hornady ammo and you will probably see where the bullets contacted the rifling. This issue would not be a break in issue, I'd call Kahr, chamber may be out of spec and may be why the previous owner got rid of it. I also wouldn't shoot it until I talked to them.
Old February 2, 2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Hornady bullets are truncated cones and are loaded with a little bit of the full diameter bearing surface ahead of the case mouth.

Kahrs are known for having short chamber throats that bind on that exposed .451".

You could ask Kahr to throat out the chamber to accept Hornadys which they might or might not do.
You could have a gunsmith throat out the chamber which would work but might be taken to void your warranty.

I think I'd just shoot a brand that worked as is.